First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco first edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I picked up my first edition last Monday. Just yesterday when I was opening up the passenger side door I noticed a drip of rust on the lower part of the dashboard between the segment separating the top and bottom part of the dashboard, right below the handle. (Adding picture because this is a terrible explanation)

I don't know if it was there when I picked it up but I haven't noticed it.

I've only taken the roof off once for a couple hours, it hasn't rained since last week, and this morning I woke up with all of the dew on the car I couldn't find any moisture inside.

Keep in mind with the picture that it was a line like a trip and I wiped most of it up.

Based on its location it almost seems like maybe the AC vent right above that is dripping internally? I will probably call forward regardless but wanted to see if anyone had heard anything like this, I searched the forums and Google and couldn't find anything.

Thank you.

20211013_102011.jpg
Sponsored

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You need to start looking for the water leak. There have been others with water leaking in on the passenger side. This water was coming down the A pillar. I would leave that cover off, get a hose and start at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger applying water and then checking inside to see if your getting water inside. If none move a bit farther up the windshield and checking again. Repeat this all the was up to the roof.

There is water getting in from somewhere. If you canā€™t find it take it in for service. There is a leak somewhere and from your picture is is coming from somewhere higher than the A/C Vent or duct.

OP
OP

Arealhuman

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You need to start looking for the water leak. There have been others with water leaking in on the passenger side. This water was coming down the A pillar. I would leave that cover off, get a hose and start at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger applying water and then checking inside to see if your getting water inside. If none move a bit farther up the windshield and checking again. Repeat this all the was up to the roof.

There is water getting in from somewhere. If you canā€™t find it take it in for service. There is a leak somewhere and from your picture is is coming from somewhere higher than the A/C Vent or duct.
Thanks I'm relatively new to the forums, have other people been able to resolve this issue?

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you have a dirt mountain bronco? Some mic 1.0 tops leaked down to inside the a-pillar, then the water came out directly above your rusty area. The water came out around where the vent on the a-pillar is.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pixie dust. Any official comment or mention from Ford on all these leaks we've seen over the past few months?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Arealhuman

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Kudos, well done!

Search engine comes through again! (Tip: use the forum advanced search for thread titles and use as few words as possible, then chew through the returns)
I saw that post and didn't realize there were 30 pages, also thought my leak was much lower.

Thank you for the advice.

Anyways, I hosed the thing down starting from the bottom. I haven't seen any sign of leaking or moisture. also took off the accesory plastic and hosed where the cover was just in case.

I'll check back in a few just in case it was dripping slowly.

Given I have had it a week and a half perhaps it was from the factory, or when I received it/when it was at the factory the roof wasn't on right.

My hope is that maybe it was just user error before I had the truck. But regardless, the question is, if it doesn't leak, will that rust still be an issue/should I bring it to ford to dismantle the dash to remove rust/would they even do that.

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Whatā€™s ironic is that this problem plagued the first generation Broncos made between ā€˜66-ā€˜77. They had it resolved from ā€™78ā€“ā€˜96 with the gen2-gen5. 20+ years later Weā€™re back to where we started 50 years ago. Most first gen broncos had no floors left after 10 years due to the leaks. They rusted away.

OP
OP

Arealhuman

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did you have a dirt mountain bronco? Some mic 1.0 tops leaked down to inside the a-pillar, then the water came out directly above your rusty area. The water came out around where the vent on the a-pillar is.
Can you elaborate on dirt mountain? They built and shipped mine at the end of last month, thought any issues would have been resolved there.

OP
OP

Arealhuman

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Reading that a pillar leak thread it looks like the issue could be that during consistent rain water fills up the rubber seal where the top meets the frame. There are drainage channels, however, under certain circumstances it could leak.

1. If the car turns or is not level, water will slide past the drainage tube due to the force of the turn and sit at the end where it's supposed to dam. Then it either goes past the dam or overwhelms it and drips into the a pillar.

2. if there is an insane amount of rain and the gasket can't drain through the small holes faster than the channel is filling up then it will overflow the channel and into the a pillar.

I have to imagine a bigger drain, or drains/blockage at the end could resolve. How do wranglers or other convertibles handle this?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I saw that post and didn't realize there were 30 pages, also thought my leak was much lower.

Thank you for the advice.

Anyways, I hosed the thing down starting from the bottom. I haven't seen any sign of leaking or moisture. also took off the accesory plastic and hosed where the cover was just in case.

I'll check back in a few just in case it was dripping slowly.

Given I have had it a week and a half perhaps it was from the factory, or when I received it/when it was at the factory the roof wasn't on right.

My hope is that maybe it was just user error before I had the truck. But regardless, the question is, if it doesn't leak, will that rust still be an issue/should I bring it to ford to dismantle the dash to remove rust/would they even do that.
That's all fresh surface rust. You've got about 50 years until it becomes a problem if it was just a remote bit of water that went in there and isn't an actual leak.

Don't worry, all the electronics will have bricked themselves long before that metal goes south of cheese.
Sponsored