First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram, 2010 Camaro,
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Anyone replace the aggressive Goodyear's? I'm looking for a better ride, quieter and maybe a touch more mpg. We all know the fuel economy is 👎
I'm looking at these;
CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T
On-Road All-Terrain
Sponsored

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have no idea on those tires, however I can say most often your MPG increase will be for lighter tires which will be near impossible to find as the goodyears are ridiculously light

Ride and quietness are all personal- personally I find the goodyears to be very well riding and quiet.

With that said Ill be switching to KO2s 37" with different rims. Had those beforeand liked them, with different rims ill be very close to the same weight

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I disagree with weight = MPG.... I think it may at times be an indicator but MPG = rolling resistance. The tire must deform under weight and it will resist that deformation. Some tire designs deform more than others. Some resist that deformation more than others. It the majority of that is in the carcass design both behind the tread and in the sidewall.....

but what do I know... I could be wrong. If it were weight would it stand to reason that you should get significantly different gas milage if you have a passenger vs driving alone?

Unsprung weight argument does not hold water since that has an effect on ride... but does not effect the amount of mass to be moved any differently than sprung weight.

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Heritage, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I had your same issues and goals, and swapped the Goodyears for Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in size P285/70-17 (33" nominal). From some recent posts:
Stats on P-metric 285/70's, 85% non-interstate roads. 48.5 mph avg for the math folks, cruising in 5th gear @2300-2500 rpm.
Ford Bronco Tires 2024 Heritage 20240411_173121-
Ford Bronco Tires 2024 Heritage 1713277451013-pq
Ford Bronco Tires 2024 Heritage 1713277497587-dl
Changes to the Forscan settings are required:
Switched out 315/70-17 OEM Territories to P285/70-17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, used 2525 mm (was 2653) circumference (Thx um . . . @Tricky Mike ?)
and 35 psi (was 39 psi) TPIM settings. Speedo reads 1 mph over GPS reading, perhaps due to minor differences of LT vs P-metric spec. I'm good with it as is.
Note that if going to passenger car tires (vs light truck), the P tire load index is de-rated by 10% to be comparable to the LT tire load index, so the de-rated P285/70 @ 117 load index 2833 lbs x 0.9 =2549.7 is greater than the stock LT315/70 @ 113 load index of 2535 lbs. 117 is the lowest P-metric load rating equivalent to satisfy the de-rating spec. For this reason, Discount Tire would not install a lower load index tire set (P255/75) I had initially purchased.
Changing Tire Size and Load Ratings

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Anyone replace the aggressive Goodyear's? I'm looking for a better ride, quieter and maybe a touch more mpg. We all know the fuel economy is 👎
I'm looking at these;
CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T
On-Road All-Terrain
The Goodyears are C load range, the Continentals are E so I don't think the ride is going to be more compliant. As already stated, they are heavier by 17 pounds a tire so that'll affect handling and responsiveness. A set of 5 is $1800! so really the trade-off in any potential mileage increase a harder road oriented tire might bring is a write-off.

Not telling you what you need to do but I'm keeping what I got until I get some mileage out of them and then replace when they're due. You can play around with the psi a bit, some here say 35 helps the ride, mine are set at 37 and no issues. Me, personally, I don't think the GYs are loud, the wind noise from the top and it being a brick on wheels is louder than the tires.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rotational Mass Effect = Heavier tires increase rotational inertia, requiring more energy for movement, which can decrease MPG. Rotational inertia refers to the resistance an object offers against changes to its rotation. Heavier tires have greater rotational inertia, demanding more energy for acceleration and deceleration, which directly impacts fuel consumption.

OP
OP

AZBronc24

Heritage
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram, 2010 Camaro,
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
The Goodyears are C load range, the Continentals are E so I don't think the ride is going to be more compliant. As already stated, they are heavier by 17 pounds a tire so that'll affect handling and responsiveness. A set of 5 is $1800! so really the trade-off in any potential mileage increase a harder road oriented tire might bring is a write-off.

Not telling you what you need to do but I'm keeping what I got until I get some mileage out of them and then replace when they're due. You can play around with the psi a bit, some here say 35 helps the ride, mine are set at 37 and no issues. Me, personally, I don't think the GYs are loud, the wind noise from the top and it being a brick on wheels is louder than the tires.
All good points. Thank-you for your input. I hadn't looked at the load range or weight.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Rotational Mass Effect = Heavier tires increase rotational inertia, requiring more energy for movement, which can decrease MPG. Rotational inertia refers to the resistance an object offers against changes to its rotation. Heavier tires have greater rotational inertia, demanding more energy for acceleration and deceleration, which directly impacts fuel consumption.
Yes... but do the math. It is minimal when compared to the rolling resistance. Especially when talking the weights and diameters involved.

Complicating the issue is the weight distribution in the tire which has a dramatic effect on the rotational inertia calculation. That distribution factor is not information that is readily available.

I still will side with rolling resistance being a significantly larger factor when comparing tires of approximately the same diameter. Now as you change the diameter... I agree that plays a larger and larger roll... upsizing or downsizing.
Sponsored