First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I am back from SMORR, and have given the portals a THOROUGH shakedown run! I guess the most amazing part is that I wheeled trails that scared the $hit outta me w/Jeeps that were awesome builds and super capable...then they loaded thiers on trailers and fired up thier stinky diesel 1 tons to ferry thier precious trail toys home, while I just fueled the Bronco, and hit the highway!

Couple observations:

1) even the most experienced jeepers who know what a portal is, look at my Bronco like they are a caveman and I have just invented fire.

2) My Bronco is now FAR more capable than my current skill level! Possibly this will change over time, but its a little sketchy because I now realize this machine is capable of doing trails where a mistake could be disastrous! I no longer try to break my Bronco...it leads me places I get scared and tap out!

3) Although keeping it fueled is an issue, both in terms of cost, and range, it is 100% highway friendly. 5th gear is still a no no. It can cruise at highway speeds in 5th, but drinks fuel way too fast, and huffs too much boost! I left my water/meth system on for the long boring cruise through Central IL, and it drank a gallon of boost juice quicker than a tank of fuel! Typically a gallon lasts 1.5-2 tankfulls in local driving. Stopped/refuled/did the same distance at the same speeds in 4th, and got much better results...very close to pre-portal mileage on 37s!

As far as a carnage report, I broke my winch rope day 1, spent most of day 2 locating, purchasing, and replacing it, so day 2 became a light day...by the time I caught up to the Jeeps they were stuck on a trail that ALL of them had to winch up, and thier tailgunner wanted to bail on it, so he and I went our own way and did easier stuff (but still fun). Day 3 I scraped my hardtop on a tree for the 1st time (ouch). Day 4 I managed to put matching rash on the other side of my hardtop, and destroy my RF fender flair. I had ZERO mechanical issues, but will do a closer inspection at my next maintenence interval, which is now very close!

As a side note: SMORR is also a horse farm, and during the week the horses are out on the property grazing...we nearly had a horse escape by getting in line behind a jeep and sneaking out. I was able to successfully corral it and force it to return home w/my Bronco! Add that to the wierd $hit I have done list! Bronco rodeo clown!

EDIT: Don't know if its an issue w/my phone, but can't post photos for some reason...when I get it figured out I will add some to this post!

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! FB_IMG_1711836555783

20240325_155339[1].jpg

20240326_163242[1].jpg

20240327_102544[1].jpg

20240327_123306[1].jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So I am back from SMORR, and have given the portals a THOROUGH shakedown run! I guess the most amazing part is that I wheeled trails that scared the $hit outta me w/Jeeps that were awesome builds and super capable...then they loaded thiers on trailers and fired up thier stinky diesel 1 tons to ferry thier precious trail toys home, while I just fueled the Bronco, and hit the highway!

Couple observations:

1) even the most experienced jeepers who know what a portal is, look at my Bronco like they are a caveman and I have just invented fire.

2) My Bronco is now FAR more capable than my current skill level! Possibly this will change over time, but its a little sketchy because I now realize this machine is capable of doing trails where a mistake could be disastrous! I no longer try to break my Bronco...it leads me places I get scared and tap out!

3) Although keeping it fueled is an issue, both in terms of cost, and range, it is 100% highway friendly. 5th gear is still a no no. It can cruise at highway speeds in 5th, but drinks fuel way too fast, and huffs too much boost! I left my water/meth system on for the long boring cruise through Central IL, and it drank a gallon of boost juice quicker than a tank of fuel! Typically a gallon lasts 1.5-2 tankfulls in local driving. Stopped/refuled/did the same distance at the same speeds in 4th, and got much better results...very close to pre-portal mileage on 37s!

As far as a carnage report, I broke my winch rope day 1, spent most of day 2 locating, purchasing, and replacing it, so day 2 became a light day...by the time I caught up to the Jeeps they were stuck on a trail that ALL of them had to winch up, and thier tailgunner wanted to bail on it, so he and I went our own way and did easier stuff (but still fun). Day 3 I scraped my hardtop on a tree for the 1st time (ouch). Day 4 I managed to put matching rash on the other side of my hardtop, and destroy my RF fender flair. I had ZERO mechanical issues, but will do a closer inspection at my next maintenence interval, which is now very close!

As a side note: SMORR is also a horse farm, and during the week the horses are out on the property grazing...we nearly had a horse escape by getting in line behind a jeep and sneaking out. I was able to successfully corral it and force it to return home w/my Bronco! Add the to the wierd $hit I have done list! Bronco rodeo clown!

EDIT: Don't know if its an issue w/my phone, but can't post photos for some reason...when I get it figured out I will add some to this post!
Awesome!!!! fantastic report, Thank you! Sounds like the entire upgrade has been successfully tested to amazing results and you had a really fun time doing it!

EDIT: and this comment had me rolling on the floor even the most experienced jeepers who know what a portal is, look at my Bronco like they are a caveman and I have just invented fire.

Amazingly I just had a guy run me down to day, was weaving and racing through traffic to yell at me (at speed) to ask how I liked the portals. First person I have come across that even indicated they knew what they were.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome!!!! fantastic report, Thank you! Sounds like the entire upgrade has been successfully tested to amazing results and you had a really fun time doing it!

EDIT: and this comment had me rolling on the floor even the most experienced jeepers who know what a portal is, look at my Bronco like they are a caveman and I have just invented fire.

Amazingly I just had a guy run me down to day, was weaving and racing through traffic to yell at me (at speed) to ask how I liked the portals. First person I have come across that even indicated they knew what they were.
Next maintenance interval i will be looking closely for any evidence of water intrusion. The area got 3"of rain between Sunday and Monday, and Peewee"s was nearly a navigable waterway! Dont know about an outboard, but you could probably have done it on a jetski! We were considering testing if a spare tire would work as a survival raft (not mine...I wasn't lifting that sucker!)!

EDIT: I do have video, just can't post right now for whatever reason

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Couple observations:

As a side note: SMORR is also a horse farm, and during the week the horses are out on the property grazing...we nearly had a horse escape by getting in line behind a jeep and sneaking out. I was able to successfully corral it and force it to return home w/my Bronco! Add that to the wierd $hit I have done list! Bronco rodeo clown!

Awesome! Thanks for reporting back!
Can’t help but noticed you left out the noise created by straight-cut gears churning away at a blistering 800 rpm. There’s a 30+ minute video on YouTube by dongsucker (something like that) where he basically talks about how loud the 74Weld portals are. I mean, shirley (😉) the noise must be an issue to dedicate so much time and effort into making certain everyone knows about it. Please confirm 🙏🏼

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can’t help but noticed you left out the noise created by straight-cut gears churning away at a blistering 800 rpm. There’s a 30+ minute video on YouTube by dongsucker (something like that) where he basically talks about how loud the 74Weld portals are. I mean, shirley (😉) the noise must be an issue to dedicate so much time and effort into making certain everyone knows about it. Please confirm 🙏🏼
I DO NOT hear any noise above tire noise at any speed. My badsquatch 2dr is NOT a quiet machine, never was from brand new, and Cooper stt pros are not super loud, but not completely silent. My previous set in 37, now resides on my Badlands which while similar, has higher options like leather/carpet/sound deadening, and as such is a slightly quieter ride, but not by much. Going between the 2 i don't really notice the difference. I was able to carry on phone conversations on speaker on this trip, while at highway speeds, and I hear the "bitchin betty" nav voice just fine when my exit is coming up, so noise has been a non-issue!

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I DO NOT hear any noise above tire noise at any speed. My badsquatch 2dr is NOT a quiet machine, never was from brand new, and Cooper stt pros are not super loud, but not completely silent. My previous set in 37, now resides on my Badlands which while similar, has higher options like leather/carpet/sound deadening, and as such is a slightly quieter ride, but not by much. Going between the 2 i don't really notice the difference. I was able to carry on phone conversations on speaker on this trip, while at highway speeds, and I hear the "bitchin betty" nav voice just fine when my exit is coming up, so noise has been a non-issue!
Haha! Good to know seems how my 74Weld portals should be delivered in April. (I was making fun of broncbuster and his ridiculous video trying to disparage 74Weld compared to his garbage)

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha! Good to know seems how my 74Weld portals should be delivered in April. (I was making fun of broncbuster and his ridiculous video trying to disparage 74Weld compared to his garbage)
Ya lol, I got that! I am sure you are gonna love them! Only advice I have is be prepared for the increase in capability! Idk what your experience level is, but for me I would say medium, and I felt pressured to roll w/the "full send" guys. They were great, but I got in a little over my head day 1, and my broken winch rope became a very convenient excuse to tap out! Our leader had already flipped once and destroyed his hardtop (at least he still had freedom panels to stay kinda dry), and then proceeded to break an axle on the next trail. The big difference is parts for his jeep are available (he got an axle overnighted right to camp), whereas most stuff for ours is backordered, or custom 74weld stuff that im sure Quinn will stand behind, but only makes in small batches.

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Couple observations:

That's awesome to hear and great report. I 100% agree that this vehicle is super capable and I'm very cautious doing things because it wants to do s*** that I'm like well let's think about it which normally I don't 🤣. That is awesome you got to do it a little herding with your Bronco!!!

This morning I was supposed to go on a run with two other guys jump in the Bronco started up put it by the house to load it up turn it off go to start it again nothing! Apparently my starter is done I got it running with two more starts I said screw it I'm going to go anyways but let me shut it off one more time and see if she'll start and she didn't so now I'm taking all my gear out so I can get the dealer to come out Monday and grab her and put a new starter in!

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've run a mine on the highway 80 miles an hour and like was said by @Bmadda I don't hear anything from the portals. We have the same tires and I do have a little road noise from the tires and I'm comparing to my daily driver is a Bronco raptor which is quieter but I don't hear any noise from the portals.

Bored

Badlands
First Name
Bored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BL 2DR 2.3L MT & '23 BL 2DR 2.7L AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've run a mine on the highway 80 miles an hour and like was said by @Bmadda I don't hear anything from the portals. We have the same tires and I do have a little road noise from the tires and I'm comparing to my daily driver is a Bronco raptor which is quieter but I don't hear any noise from the portals.
I have almost 10k miles on them, with 38 and 40" nitto trail grappler MTs and have never heard noise from the portals at any speed, slow cruising through small towns, at 80 on the interstate, at 20 or 40 in Johnson Valley hanging with the braptors and raptors.

Sponsored

Bored

Badlands
First Name
Bored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For anyone interested... I finally had time to mess with the rear bumper I had made by Expedition One. It had been on the vehicle for a while but I hadn't located/mounted the spare or swapped the mount hardware over to the RotoPax stuff I already owned... in the end I decided to drill 2 new holes further toward driver side on the RotoPax swing to get 1" further over... in the end the fully loaded (yes its a lot, yes its heavy, yes I won't always need 16 gallons of fuel- but sometimes I do ;D I also take 8 gallons of water...) setup fit almost perfectly with the 38" placed where it is. I tried to minimize the tire blocking the passenger tail light (with perspective straight down the side the spare tire does not extend beyond any of the body/hard top lines), I still have decent visibility with the relocated backup camera (tire blocks about 1/3 of the top right of the view on the display), and with the pax lock its 1/8" overlap... so I close both but don't latch either then latch them both at the same time. Same when I open, unlatch both and either side can swing out first. I'm happy with the departure angle (the tow hitch assembly is easily removed), etc. I do plan to add a brake light led bar on the underside of the rack below the RTT.

I am squatting a little bit now that I also got my RTT mounted. I plan to eventually get the shocks tuned (and maybe the SDI eclik shock reservoirs so I can have it dialed in with everything empty and just adjust when the RotoPax and fridge are full).

Today.. working on downpipes, exhaust, and small stuff.

1 pic just for reference.

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! image0 (5)

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For anyone interested... I finally had time to mess with the rear bumper I had made by Expedition One. It had been on the vehicle for a while but I hadn't located/mounted the spare or swapped the mount hardware over to the RotoPax stuff I already owned... in the end I decided to drill 2 new holes further toward driver side on the RotoPax swing to get 1" further over... in the end the fully loaded (yes its a lot, yes its heavy, yes I won't always need 16 gallons of fuel- but sometimes I do ;D I also take 8 gallons of water...) setup fit almost perfectly with the 38" placed where it is. I tried to minimize the tire blocking the passenger tail light (with perspective straight down the side the spare tire does not extend beyond any of the body/hard top lines), I still have decent visibility with the relocated backup camera (tire blocks about 1/3 of the top right of the view on the display), and with the pax lock its 1/8" overlap... so I close both but don't latch either then latch them both at the same time. Same when I open, unlatch both and either side can swing out first. I'm happy with the departure angle (the tow hitch assembly is easily removed), etc. I do plan to add a brake light led bar on the underside of the rack below the RTT.

I am squatting a little bit now that I also got my RTT mounted. I plan to eventually get the shocks tuned (and maybe the SDI eclik shock reservoirs so I can have it dialed in with everything empty and just adjust when the RotoPax and fridge are full).

Today.. working on downpipes, exhaust, and small stuff.

1 pic just for reference.

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! image0 (5)
I love how all you see is Broncos... lol 🤩 :love:

Bored

Badlands
First Name
Bored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love how all you see is Broncos... lol 🤩 :love:
Yup. I started with a '23 2.3L MT Badlands non-SAS 2DR and after 14k miles of adventure I wanted to add some more of the tech options... so I found a '23 2.7L AT Lux non-SAS 2DR. My brother has a '22 2.3L AT Badlands SAS 4DR, and a buddy in town traded off his brand new tacoma after driving both my broncos around for a bit... so he has a '23 2.7L AT Badlands SAS 2DR (same color). So in the pic the area 51 is my 2.3L MT, and the one on the right is my buddies. His daughter, unfortunately, got a bronco sport.. so the new broncos are pretty popular in my friend group. Eventually they want portals also.

Edit: I've actually finally finished uninstalling all the stuff from the first bronco.. and got it detailed and ready to sell soon. It just rolled 14k miles if anyone knows anyone interested. It has Ford ProCal tuner and had a tailgate table (goose gear, so has some rivnuts in tailgate) otherwise appears as new... because I bought a second bronco of the exact same spec... I went ahead and put the brand new wheels and tires from the 2.7L on the 2.3L so the tires have under 1100 miles on them (the initial trip out to 74 weld for the portals install).

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup. I started with a '23 2.3L MT Badlands non-SAS 2DR and after 14k miles of adventure I wanted to add some more of the tech options... so I found a '23 2.7L AT Lux non-SAS 2DR. My brother has a '22 2.3L AT Badlands SAS 4DR, and a buddy in town traded off his brand new tacoma after driving both my broncos around for a bit... so he has a '23 2.7L AT Badlands SAS 2DR (same color). So in the pic the area 51 is my 2.3L MT, and the one on the right is my buddies. His daughter, unfortunately, got a bronco sport.. so the new broncos are pretty popular in my friend group. Eventually they want portals also.

Edit: I've actually finally finished uninstalling all the stuff from the first bronco.. and got it detailed and ready to sell soon. It just rolled 14k miles if anyone knows anyone interested. It has Ford ProCal tuner and had a tailgate table (goose gear, so has some rivnuts in tailgate) otherwise appears as new... because I bought a second bronco of the exact same spec... I went ahead and put the brand new wheels and tires from the 2.7L on the 2.3L so the tires have under 1100 miles on them (the initial trip out to 74 weld for the portals install).
Not to derail this thread too much further, but I'm kinda confused as to which one you plan to sell...2dr BL MT non-squatch A51 was what I got out of all that?

Bored

Badlands
First Name
Bored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to derail this thread too much further, but I'm kinda confused as to which one you plan to sell...2dr BL MT non-squatch A51 was what I got out of all that?
Correct- I will be selling the '23 2.3L MT 2DR Badlands Non-Sas soon.
Sponsored