Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 69 Bronco, Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This doesn't look like a terribly hard one to design, I'll look into it. It would be weld on which might turn off some people but this isn't a place for bolt on solutions.
I'll take two!
Sponsored

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have an EARLY '21 built in June 21, delivered in July.
Black Diamond, manual trans, tow package.
I was recently under if, putting on Sasquatch take offs. I know I'm open, and now that I see other's "cracks" I have to look more closely when I get home, I fear my passenger side has similar cracks. Been wheeling 3 times with it, the last was a medium level trail with some rock crawling. I'll update.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

8421dave

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Sequoia, 20 Volvo S60, 62 Impala Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
7/21 build, 4d wildtrak, tow pkg, no rear sway bar.
unboxed

Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets IMG_3763

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
21 Big Bend, build 11/15 open.

Looks like some rust there but don't see any cracks but it's also covered in snow and salt

20240119_100825.jpg

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
2023 Bronco Raptor Nov 2022 build date
Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets IMG_6374
Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets IMG_6373
Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets IMG_6371
Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets IMG_6370

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good thread @popo_patty. Interesting stuff. Some thoughts on how energy gets transferred through the rear links and into the end mounts that are cracking.

The oem bushings on the rear links are compliant in the sense that the material will deform (strain) allowing for motion and rotations and thereby providing some extra articulation from the “rigid” links. These deformations in the bushings allow for some of the shock energy from dynamic loading to be absorbed in the form of deformation or strain energy. This reduces the shock transfer to the frame but at the cost of articulation. The bushings need to deform under stress which limits compliance based on stiffness.

The fancy after market end links with Johnny joints allow for freedom of movement or rotation without much resisting stress. This enhances articulation but comes at the cost of limited strain energy absorption. The bushings are stiffer and allow for low friction sliding that produces no significant shear strain or deformation, only minimal compressive strains. And thus they usually transfer greater shock loads.

The metal on metal heim joints have virtually no compliance and don’t absorb any significant strain energy.

not saying the aftermarket end links are good or bad just how they transfer energy.
once again you see what I see, the metal joints cause MOST of this problem. Rubber or urethane joints have enough energy absorbed to protect the metal from FATIGUE, that is what is the #1 cause...FATIGUE.

Sponsored

roboticsrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if the change to the box design coincided with the addition of rear sway bar end link brackets. The timing seems about right.
2 Doors don't get the rear sway bar (though I recall the 2 Door WT might actually have a rear sway bar with Hoss 3.0?), but it does stand to reason that an upgrade made to the 4 Door frame would also flow down to the 2 Door frame.

OP if you do end up letting your buddy weld it up, be careful if welding on your car. Even disconnecting the battery, a welder can still fry electrical components on modern vehicles.

Need to get the ground on the welder very close to the work area.

One of the guys I work with fried some components on his GMC recently when he was doing his exhaust and learned the hard way.
Unfortunately true, various modules are grounded to the chassis all over the place.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Here are the build date breaks for the 2.7. Don't know what physical changes were done but the first version was not quite two months 5/3/21-6-24-21.
1705612129088.png
All these people looking, there is a frame tag that would help narrow it down, but frames are pre-built way ahead of time so it could be old stock if Ford decided to use whatever is sent to the plant instead of stopping the use of the frame that was updated.

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So far all 4 of us with cracks are modified with aftermarket, rear arms, 37's and we wheel hard and often. I'm still looking to see if unmodified 2021 Broncos have this crack but so far no.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man who modded his vehicle past factory spec and abuses it is shocked when shit starts breaking.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BREAKING NEWS: Local man who modded his vehicle past factory spec and abuses it is shocked when shit starts breaking.
In a sense, hot takes are always "breaking news" since the point of them is often to skew the purpose of a story told in a way that is sensational, moralizing and condescending. In that sense, couching a hot take as "breaking news" instead is simply moralizing and condescending without reviewing the total context of the discussion as it stands and weighing the outcome of the story in those who may be affected by the intended purpose of the story.

TLDR; nice hot take but this thread has a genuine purpose and I don't think @popo_patty intended it to be anything but helpful, even if the title and early commentary is a bit overheated.
Sponsored