Sponsored

Considering buying new 2024 Bronco, thoughts on quality issues and problems?

fwk727

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Big Bend; 21 F-150; 11 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford man all my life. My dad owned Ford dealership as a kid in 60-70s. Now own a Mustang, F150 and my second Bronco (first was lemon law candidate.) Email me if you want to be bored with details but short story is: Ford quality is uniformly AWFUL. Breaks my heart
Sponsored

Leafy

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 Door Badlands, Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn’t realize the 4 door pulled such a premium. My wife’s 2 dr badlands was under 56k and it’s loaded except for squatch and leather seats. It’s a lot quieter on the highway than a Miata. And the manual is pretty amazing. They put that trans in a ranger and keep the 7k tow rating and I’ll trade in my f150 that day.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll contribute my issues and resolutions:

1) Soft-top quality - was delaminating inside, hard to get my service team to address it, resolved myself by buying a Turn Off-Road hardtop at 2.5y mark into ownership, not looking back

2) Modules freaking out - happened on the way home from wheeling in Orocopia mountain wilderness around the 8000mi mark, multiple modules faulted, lost GOAT modes, control of transfer case and brakes felt weird. Resolved itself at the stoplight directly in front of the dealer, and has not occurred again

3) Wouldn't start - this literally happened in the last two weeks, my Bronco does sit a lot as I work remote, and depending on my kids schedules sometimes it does not get started for a few days. That being said, the dashboard read 12.5V (which is PLENTY) and when I would go to start it, the dash would simply reboot. Hooking up a booster battery allowed it to start. The dealer tested the battery to be able to produce 800 amps, and took charge fine. So likely just too much sitting.

4) Paint - yeah, chippy chippy, all the damn time, all over the place. I've resolved at this point to just wrap the vehicle in a few years and move on.

5) Interior - the plastic scratches WAY too easily, poor choice of material for something that was going to take quite a pounding

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey all,
I’m working a deal with my local dealer on a 24 4dr Badlands and I wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger. After reading some threads here I’m a little concerned about quality issues and problems. Anybody care to share their thoughts? I love the bronco but a little spooked by the various problems. Roof noises, electrical gremlins, etc seem to be common. Thanks for the input.
My 2022 base MT has 11k miles. Absolutely no problems. As others have said...its designed for off road recreational use.
Over time if you use it for those purpos
es it will get some creaks and rattles.
Have fun with it.
Paul

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I loved my Bronco, still wish I could keep it, had lots of fun with it, but it is plagued with lots of quality issues. I think Ford designed something real cool and then put it out on the market and had their first two years of buyer field test the vehicle and then blamed it on Covid. I was a Ford guy for 32 years, the Bronco has pushed me away. I had a Powertrain Malfunction, which Ford can't or won't explain. It also lost all ability to brake, until I hit a tree. Over three months at the Ford dealer and they basically said nothing is wrong, it's operating as intended and no explanation for the Powertrain Malfunction. Before that, they had it for over 3 weeks to replace the parts required for the TSB for the manual transmission. I own two other Fords, a Flex and an F-150 and I get good service from them, but stick around on this forum long enough and there are tons of issue with the Bronco. It's too bad too, because I had lots of fun with mine. However, I really do need a vehicle to go and stop when I want it to, not just when it feels like it. Since this happened to me back in Nov, I have seen multiple other threads with the same or similar issues. Vehicle just shuts off and you lose brakes. There was no mechanical issue with mine, it's all computer and software related. I wish I had better news, but I don't.

Sponsored

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you can find any new vehicle that does have some issues let me know, I've been looking for one!

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford man all my life. My dad owned Ford dealership as a kid in 60-70s. Now own a Mustang, F150 and my second Bronco (first was lemon law candidate.) Email me if you want to be bored with details but short story is: Ford quality is uniformly AWFUL. Breaks my heart
Agreed. They have definitely taken a slide in the last few years. My '19 F150 is the first Ford of many that has been a disappointment in many ways.

Dkirk

Black Diamond
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have had my 2024 Black Diamond for about 3 weeks now. Less than 2000 miles. No electrical issues. It has what I consider mild wind noise at 70 MPH With hard top. it is quieter than my 2004 Honda Element was. It is very tight new vehicle. Non Sasquatch with standard all terrain tires. No tire noise on the road. 19-20 MPG with 2.3 engine. Was surprised by how much power the small turbo engine provides in a 5100 lbs vehicle. Very satisfied overall!

Amac

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco and 2006 z06
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Road noise is to be expected from a vehicle like this although it is not that bad all things considered. My 2022 two door Big Bend has had zero issues so far, Knock on wood. We love the car. Good luck with your search.

NativeSoCal

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch 2D Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First time Ford owner and very happy with my 2022 Badlands 2d, SAS, lux, 2.7. After almost two years and 20,000 miles, I haven’t experienced ANY problems; not even a squeak/rattle. It rides much smoother and quieter than I expected. It’s been a blast to drive!

Sponsored

Zulu7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos & Bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all,
I’m working a deal with my local dealer on a 24 4dr Badlands and I wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger. After reading some threads here I’m a little concerned about quality issues and problems. Anybody care to share their thoughts? I love the bronco but a little spooked by the various problems. Roof noises, electrical gremlins, etc seem to be common. Thanks for the input.
Since 2018 Ford's Quality reports have gone way down and the Recalls have gone way up. This Quality slide started before covid came along so Ford and their fangirls can drop that excuse

On the other hand our Broncos have been flawless so far and we love em. Absolute zero problems other than a few nonsense recalls we're ignoring

Nowadays buying a Ford seems big luck-of-the-draw. You prob get an awesome truck - last you a lifetime. But you might get a lemon with endless headaches and lousy support from your dealer or Ford. So if your rig becomes a mysterious glitchy headache it'll prob stay that way

Bottom line - if you get a flaky build just dump it and start over

TIP for New Buyers - go simple as possible
Ford is lousy with electronics and software

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since 2018 Ford's Quality reports have gone way down and the Recalls have gone way up. This Quality slide started before covid came along so Ford and their fangirls can drop that excuse

On the other hand our Broncos have been flawless so far and we love em. Absolute zero problems other than a few nonsense recalls we're ignoring

Nowadays buying a Ford seems big luck-of-the-draw. You prob get an awesome truck - last you a lifetime. But you might get a lemon with endless headaches and lousy support from your dealer or Ford. So if your rig becomes a mysterious glitchy headache it'll prob stay that way

I waited over 2 years and was thrilled initially with my 2 door Badlands SAS Lux. Initially, I was a little concerned that I went big on the options, but afterwards and reading about all the people trying to install the things that they initially said they didn't need made me feel like I made a decent decision. Overall, I was pleased with my Bronco and the only Gremlins I experienced personally were losing many of my four-wheel drive features when I was on the Rubicon...probably because one wheel was in the air and spinning at a different RPM than the others which made the control nannies angry. It sucked because it made it much more difficult to get to where I needed to go, and then finally when I was on the road it eventually cleared up but left no codes for me to troubleshoot. The other time it acted up was when I was in the driveway and it wouldn't start until I cycled through brake on brake off emergency brake on emergency brake off etc etc. there is also a coolant hose that was about to be eaten by the fan which fortunately someone in the forum noticed and I was able to zip tie it out of the way, but that would have been a big old failure if it would have been on the highway and I wouldn't have noticed until I got a check engine light for overheating. I didn't have any top issues like a lot of people did but I can say that the way it mounts to the tub seems like down the road it would have eventually developed cracks even going easy on tightening the bolts. I did go down the rabbit hole of upgrades, probably many of which I didn't actually need, but that is what happens when you buy a Bronco...it is tough to not throw money at it. I am glad that I went with the Badlands and the Sasquatch, because although a lot of people try to save money by getting a lower trim model they almost always end up wishing they had gone with the 4.7 gear or the upgraded front differential or lockers sway bar disconnect etc. what I can say, is that although it handled really well on the road, and it was pretty capable off-road, that it is more a jack of all trades than a master of anything in particular. Even a 20-year-old luxury car is much quieter inside on the street, and just about anything with IFS handles on par with it. Off-road, yes it can certainly do lots of cool stuff, but there are other much older rigs one can buy for $10,000 that will do pretty much the same thing. I think that the Bronco in its stock trim forms are great vehicles for someone who spends much of their time on the road, with occasional jobs off-road, that isn't expecting extraordinary comfort on the road or extraordinary performance off-road without a bunch of modifications. I ended up selling mine after the craze, and lost my shirt even though I paid MSRP. Out of all the modifications I added, including bumpers and wheels and a swing out tire carrier and an intercooler and a different grill and an air box, muffler, skid plates etc etc, the irony is that selling the parts is taking longer than I intended even at less than half the price I paid for them. I have a set of Mishimoto catch cans, and of all the modifications that's probably the one that actually improved longevity, but so far no interest. I also have a Jtops mesh top, and no buyer interest in that...even though it took a lot of waiting for both items. All that to say that you should buy something YOU like, and know that if you're going to put any modifications on it that you're probably not going to get a fraction of what you put into them out of them (if you ever do end up selling). Also instead of buying something for the dreams of what you think you might end up doing, do a reality check and calculate the amount of time you'll be spending in your vehicle and the types of things you'll be doing and get the right vehicle for doing those things. For me, even though I had a brand new shiny Bronco, I remember the way I felt when I went to a Bronco bash and I couldn't help but be pulled to the lure of the first gen Broncos much more so than anything else that was new and shiny that showed up. The same thing when I was out on the trail...the types of folks I personally would most often gravitate towards associating with were those who are driving the older purpose-built rigs...and many of the folks in the new rigs, although they seemed to be really nice people, seemed to be less inclined to have things on board their rig like a welder or an extensive set of tools or a bunch of spare parts. I know there are exceptions to every rule, and this is just my experience, but I found myself wishing that I had simply saved up all the money that I spent on my 2-year wait and instead bought a first-gen Bronco or some other old school rig that was upgraded to something that could be driven on the street at 75 mph (comfortably) when it wasn't being pushed on the trails.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

This. Especially the bold.

I had a 2004 F150 that I bought new and owned for a decade. Gas, tires, oil changes. Never an issue outside a clockspring recall, solid all the way around. I loved that truck and should have kept it. When I bought my '19, I was hoping for the same experience. What a fool I was.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seeing a lot of comments here about a slide in Ford's quality since 2018ish. I agree with others that this has happened, and that it isn't all related to COVID-era production challenges.

We own a 2019 Transit Connect and a 2023 Bronco, and they are the lowest mileage (purchased both new) Fords I've ever owned AND ALSO the most problematic, both mechanical and electrical. I understand cars are more complicated than ever, but my expectation as a consumer is that new features are implemented in a way that is consistent with existing reliability expectations and norms. Ford is missing this mark.

We bought the Bronco because it is a lifestyle/unique model from Ford, with only the Wrangler as a direct comparison. I've definitely wondered out loud whether the Wrangler would have been a better choice. I'm not pretending the Wrangler is without issues, but most of them are a known quantity at this point.

In the future, I don't think we'll be going with a Ford for our normal family haulers. There is a lot of competition in the family SUV/minivan market and Ford just can't compete in most cases. But since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've decided to keep the Bronco long term and mod/repair my way through it. Something romantic about owning a quirky vehicle even though it demands fistfuls of my already-thinning hair.

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
OP, Since you're in a cool climate you may want to check your Bronco for this issue before pulling the trigger:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/cold-feet-floor-heat.31841/

According to the threads here there hasn't been a fix. Just wear "heavy socks and long johns". Really? A new $6X,XXX vehicle can't keep my feet warm? Deal Breaker.
Sponsored