Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

...were the first words out of my salesman's mouth...after I took delivery of my 2DR/WT/SAS (2.7L) last week.
Can anyone tell me why?
Struck me as V E R Y odd.

Thanks!
“My dealer said…”
Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been using 91 from Top Tier stations only

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...were the first words out of my salesman's mouth...after I took delivery of my 2DR/WT/SAS (2.7L) last week.
Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks!
Maybe he is linking the 2.7 engine failures to higher octanes increasing HP which can put more stress on the engine? Just a guess! I am NOT saying that is in any way causing the engine failures! I started out using 87 as a baseline then moved to 93 around 1k miles and have been using it ever since! I have the 2.3 7M and the difference is noticable!

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2023 Black Diamond 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks!
File it under "My dealer said..." and have a beer.

BS

Sponsored

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run 91 and have been for 2k miles but that is only because 93 isn't readily available in AZ otherwise I'd be using 93.
Same here in Cali....can only find 91 which I run in my 2.3L ecco.....The motor is designed to run a variety of octanes (mapping takes care of it I assume)....

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ONLY use 93 octane. I want those extra 30 ponies

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe he is linking the 2.7 engine failures to higher octanes increasing HP which can put more stress on the engine? Just a guess! I am NOT saying that is in any way causing the engine failures! I started out using 87 as a baseline then moved to 93 around 1k miles and have been using it ever since! I have the 2.3 7M and the difference is noticable!
How did your gas mileage do when you changed to 93? I'm in same boat, a little over 1k miles with top tier 87 but thinking of just using 93

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Quality of fuel varies by station and state. Use whatever grade fuel you want the mfgr. recommends, just get it from a reputable supplier. Yes, winter and summer blend is a real thing and so is the amount of ethanol states allow distributors to blend in.
It is more like a requirement. You can offer ethanol free fuel but are required to divert a certain amount of corn-fed black angus ground beef into the tanks of our vehicles. That corn could feed more cows or the land could raise alternate foodstuffs for direct human consumption. It is simply put a way for the federal government to subsidize corn farmers without direct subsidy payments.

Ethanol laced fuel returns less mpg. Minimally less, unless you run E85 but pure ethanol has 34% less Btu power available from it than pure gasoline. And the amount it actually reduces our dependence on foreign crude is suspect when it takes large fuel and fertilizer inputs to produce the alcohol stock. It is more about "see what we you duly elected congressman are doing for our country and the world"

Or more likely lobbying from the plastics and rubber fuel system components industry grousing that sales were down

gwiacek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex awd ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I been driving Ford ecoboost engines for years now. Only use 93 octane. You have to remember with the ecoboost engines the smaller the engine the more hp/torque you lose using 87 octane. The 2.3L loses more hp/torque then my 2.7L does. Here in michigan we have 93 or nothing. I dont know if I seen a station that has 91. At one time some of the Sunoco stations here had it.

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I exclusively use Costco premium (93) unless I'm traveling or not near a warehouse. In those cases I will use whatever octane Shell V-Power comes in at that location. I also make sure I stop at a busy gas station so the fuel is replenished frequently and don't end up with some that's been sitting forever.

zebraquick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Forte
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I read "salesman" and was out then....

JBlanco

Base