Sponsored

Ford Truck Fire, Nervous About Bronco...

jonmead1

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all - long time reader first time poster here.

So I recently moved from Austin to Providence RI. On our trip, our 2018 F-150 with 44,700 ish miles on it exploded in Pennsylvania. The truck is absolutely gone (added a photo) - no warning lights or odd behavior, but started dripping fire and went up in flames in about thirty seconds. We were able to save the dogs, but nothing else (no one hurt thankfully).

My badlands 2.7 2-door is scheduled for delivery (July 13, 2020 order, 21 minutes after ordering opened... Bit of a wait), but now I'm insanely worried about driving the Bronco.

Has anyone ever heard of this with Fords? The better half's dad (Dodge guy) thinks that Ford is known for unexplained fires like what we experienced with the truck. Sorry for a somewhat random post, but figured this group was a good place to start.

IMG-20220219-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220219-WA0002.jpg
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Glad everyone is all right! Have not heard of spontaneous combustion being a thing with any manufacturer, even Fiat err, Dodge. Someone may be able to figure out what caused it, but I doubt that it would be worth the expense...

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If this bothers you to the point of experiencing serious anxiety, no vehicle is worth that.

filup01

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve never heard of a spontaneous fire with Ford. I have however, heard of it with FCA cars/trucks (Charger in the early 2000’s, Dodge minivans in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, and another one that I’m forgetting). I have heard of it with Jeep Wranglers too but if I’m honest, I think those were most likely due to bad installation of accessories but then again, maybe not.
For the most part though, I think all manufacturers do a very good job these days and if/when it does happen, it’s usually a “one off” scenario.

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where at in PA did that happen? If you're that worried a car is just going to spontaneously combust, you should probably look for a different vehicle.

Sponsored

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So on the one hand, - and let me backtrack and say how sorry I am and how good it is nobody, especially the doggys!, got hurt - on the one hand, we take fire pretty seriously in my family because my house burned to the ground when I was 6... you just never know what can happen.... but on the other hand, seems like pretty much the definition of a Freak Accident or incident ... We just got our Wildtrak on Friday, and it's freaking amazing.

It drives like it's a half-sports/half-luxury car. I don't know what people are talking about when they say it "drives like a truck" ... drives like a Benz to me.

And that 2.7L , there is a road by me with a couple-a-few 4-way stops. It gets to 30mph before I cross the street. Literally. I push the gas and hit 25mph before i realize what I've done. Twin Turbo, biatches!

So I wouldn't sweat it. Anything can happen in life, and I'm sure some Hot Dog Vendors are better and cleaner than other, but I was raised, if you can't eat a Hot Dog from a Hot Dog Cart because you're worried that it won't be clean, you'll wind up never leaving the house.
Ford Bronco Ford Truck Fire, Nervous About Bronco... 1646652177659

Glad everyone is all right! Have not heard of spontaneous combustion being a thing with any manufacturer, even Fiat err, Dodge. Someone may be able to figure out what caused it, but I doubt that it would be worth the expense...
It's funny you say that ... My Dad's Dad was a bigwig with GM. So they got cars on discounts and programs all that good stuff. I guess when he was college-age, it could have been shortly before or after he got done school and got his "real job" - he had gotten one of the classic GM sports cars. I don't remember what kind (I obviously was not around back then) but you will know what I mean, one of the V8 types, Chevy/Pontiac/Oldsmobile/Buick whatever the car was, something I'm sure I wish was still around. He goes to his parents house, parks in the driveway, goes in to say Hi, what time's Supper, etc. Shortly after in walks his younger sister. "Hey, is your car supposed to be on fire??!" <I mean what kind of question is that?> ... "Uhh, no..." ... "ohh... well, it's on fire in the driveway..." and sure enough, engulfed in flames, is his new sports car. No idea why, no idea what happened, it was fine on the drive over, he parks it, gets out, somehow a fire breaks out and burns that baby to the ground. Now granted, this is early 70s, so a lot has changed. But it can happen. But again, Freak Accident , not something I go around hoping my car doesn't spontaneously combust on some stuff.

Last edited:

10K_Vet

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess this will be my first upgrade.
Ford Bronco Ford Truck Fire, Nervous About Bronco... 1646652880112

Sponsored

10K_Vet

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Those can blow up inside a vehicle in hot climates. Careful. Read the Temp warnings on those. I noticed you are in LA.
Just a joke, I don't even have my Bronco yet. :sneaky:

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this a serious question?

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just a joke, I don't even have my Bronco yet. :sneaky:
But I think it's a great idea to have a fire extinguisher in your vehicle. Case in point here. But just do your homework first.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it bothers you that much then refuse delivery and buy something else.