Sponsored

If Ford offers the fastback soft top in place of the 2DR MIC, will you take it or wait?

If Ford offers the fastback soft top in place of the 2DR MIC, will you take it or wait?

• Total voters

jinskeep

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Raptor 2007 GT500 2020 GT500 2021 GT500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd probably take it but mine won't be a DDriver, my suggestion to anyone wanting a hardtop later would be to wait or it won't be the same. JMO
Sponsored

OP
OP
CDN Jen

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Can't put a normal roof rack on a soft top (cages are so ugly IMO)
  • Soft tops are cheaper and aftermarket options are always plentiful - they are much more of a personal choice - mesh, canvas, bimini, bikini
  • The fast back soft top has even less storage space
  • Hardtops are more durable (and required if you want a factory roof rack)
  • no WAY i would accept a soft top when i've been waiting for a hard top this whole time - bait and switch!
  • No one should be okay with this

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in SoCal and my Bronco is a beach and off-road toy. I’d prefer the soft top - I really don’t want a hard top. My garage is already full, so storing it was going to be a headache. The soft top would be ideal for me. Even better if it improves my odds of a MY21! (With an appropriate MSRP adjustment, of course.)

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in SoCal and my Bronco is a beach and off-road toy. I’d prefer the soft top - I really don’t want a hard top. My garage is already full, so storing it was going to be a headache. The soft top would be ideal for me. Even better if it improves my odds of a MY21! (With an appropriate MSRP adjustment, of course.)
I can relate, except I'm not a beach guy, and half my garage is taken by my sisters crap.

Still, come the warm months, I have the best farmers tan, and while I might save the doors for special occasions, top will always be off, weather permitting

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Can't put a normal roof rack on a soft top (cages are so ugly IMO)
  • Soft tops are cheaper and aftermarket options are always plentiful - they are much more of a personal choice - mesh, canvas, bimini, bikini
  • The fast back soft top has even less storage space
  • Hardtops are more durable (and required if you want a factory roof rack)
  • no WAY i would accept a soft top when i've been waiting for a hard top this whole time - bait and switch!
  • No one should be okay with this
Who's buying it for storage? Only time a hard top makes sense is when you live in a bad neighborhood the Hipsters haven't ruined yet, or where blizzards happen every other week in winter

Can't believe they didn't offer both off the bat tbh

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would only if the MIC was offered for free later, or at a VERY heavy discount. I have hot humid summers and cold winters, so I've never been a fan of soft tops that get put through the ringer in these conditions. Soft top would be only for summer use.

Last edited:

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Who's buying it for storage? Only time a hard top makes sense is when you live in a bad neighborhood the Hipsters haven't ruined yet, or where blizzards happen every other week in winter

Can't believe they didn't offer both off the bat tbh
Or when you want a functional roof rack that's not an exo-cage...

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or when you want a functional roof rack that's not an exo-cage...
True, except not everyone wants to use them, always feel they'll get loose enough and fly off someday

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my experience, most veteran jeep runners who prefer top-down run a real bimini top and cover the vehicle for dew/rain - soft tops are notoriously a pain in the ass, get saggy, flap around in the wind, lots of zipping and unzipping, and they generally look crappy after a couple seasons in the elements.

For me it's a no-go. I will run hardtop in the winter and bimini top for the other 9 months with/without doors.

Please don't give ford the ammunition to pull the hardtop from stock! Sell it and swap to soft top and recoup the cost after if you don't want it.

I'm telling you guys, it's a huge win to get a hardtop stock included with the vehicle...

Last edited:

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's no secret the MIC tops are delayed, which is likely why the 2DR is one of the seven deadly delay options. It's also no secret that Ford has been experimenting with fastback soft tops on the 2DR Bronco.

What is the likelihood that Ford offers the fastback soft top as a factory option in place of the MIC at ordering (i.e., by March 19)? It would certainly take the pressure of the MIC supply and could get 2DR builds on the road faster.

I'm not crazy about the look of the fastback (it may grow on me, SAS sure did) and I never really contemplated a soft top on my Bronco. I hoped to get a roof rack to haul kayaks and skis. But realistically, I just ordered a Bronco Sport that will handle those duties, leaving my 2DR big boy as a weekend fun buggy and backup camping hauler. I'd still have the hitch on the 2DR for a cargo box (if needed), and I could always get a hard top later. And honestly, having a soft top does open up possibilities of driving the Bronco topless longer distances without worrying about rain.

What are everyone's thoughts? If given the choice, would you opt for the fastback soft top now to get your 2DR Bronco sooner, or would you hold out for a hard top?

13 - 2021 Bronco Velocity Blue Fastback Top.jpg
Won't be doing a fastback top, but if that's your thing, it's vastly better looking on a Bronco than a Jeep, and it's all about the visual.

This is what you typically see on 2DR Jeeps:
Ford Bronco If Ford offers the fastback soft top in place of the 2DR MIC, will you take it or wait? 1611773861240

It comes across looking like a triangle, not very aggressive. The Jeep 2DRs are super short (for wheeling, I get it), but they just look cutoff at the back, as opposed to the TJs and earlier that, with a hard top, was more closer to the B6G:
Ford Bronco If Ford offers the fastback soft top in place of the 2DR MIC, will you take it or wait? 1611774032523

The top has a more gentle rake in the back which gives it an aggressive, "I'm about to get in your face" look.

All that goes out the window if you're going for a fastback 4DR. There all the proportions settle down and look proper, even on the Jeep.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's no secret the MIC tops are delayed, which is likely why the 2DR is one of the seven deadly delay options. It's also no secret that Ford has been experimenting with fastback soft tops on the 2DR Bronco.

What is the likelihood that Ford offers the fastback soft top as a factory option in place of the MIC at ordering (i.e., by March 19)? It would certainly take the pressure of the MIC supply and could get 2DR builds on the road faster.

I'm not crazy about the look of the fastback (it may grow on me, SAS sure did) and I never really contemplated a soft top on my Bronco. I hoped to get a roof rack to haul kayaks and skis. But realistically, I just ordered a Bronco Sport that will handle those duties, leaving my 2DR big boy as a weekend fun buggy and backup camping hauler. I'd still have the hitch on the 2DR for a cargo box (if needed), and I could always get a hard top later. And honestly, having a soft top does open up possibilities of driving the Bronco topless longer distances without worrying about rain.

What are everyone's thoughts? If given the choice, would you opt for the fastback soft top now to get your 2DR Bronco sooner, or would you hold out for a hard top?

Ford Bronco If Ford offers the fastback soft top in place of the 2DR MIC, will you take it or wait? 1611774032523
I’m with you, I’m not a big fan of the look.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
While not scientific, this poll suggests roughly 40% of 2dr orders might opt for a soft top. The option might give Ford some breathing room to get more Broncs out the door this year. That might help everyone out. Seems like a worthwhile thing to pursue.
Sponsored