Sponsored

Pros and cons of factory hitch vs. aftermarket?

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base
I still can't believe the trailer hitch isn't welded to the frame. My 2002 Trailblazer had a trailer hitch from the factory welded into the frame - in fact all Trailblazer/Envoys did back then. I kind of expected that to happen with the Bronco.

Can't believe it is held in by 4 measly bolts...
No need to worry..they look pretty substantial..most likely galvanized grade 5 bolts .. besides you trust that single hitch pin to hold your trailer ..right?
Sponsored

FunForAll

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, 2 F-150s, Explorer, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Because the tow package seems so simple but yet is a constrained commodity item, I suspect there's something else baked into the suspension, frame, drivetrain or electronics that hasn't been revealed yet. So, I'm keeping it on my order.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No need to worry..they look pretty substantial..most likely galvanized grade 5 bolts .. besides you trust that single hitch pin to hold your trailer ..right?
Well of course :)

But don't get me started on that 3,500 lb towing capacity....

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just use my hitch as a recovery point to pull stuck vehicles out or to carry a bike rack .

Aftermarket would be fine for me. But if you will tow a trailer then factory would be best.

There are some nice aftermarket bumpers with built-in tow hitches. This would be my plan.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

👆🏻 add a "not" after the third word of the second paragraph and you have it all right here. For further discussion read the other threads on this exact topic in the towing forum.
Thank you for catching that.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still can't believe the trailer hitch isn't welded to the frame. My 2002 Trailblazer had a trailer hitch from the factory welded into the frame - in fact all Trailblazer/Envoys did back then. I kind of expected that to happen with the Bronco.

Welding comes with it's own can of worms too. 4th gen Explorers could be had with a welded 1-1/4" hitch which was the bane of many owners, some of whom choose to have it cut out and a 2" welded in it's place. It would be just our luck for them to pull that stunt again.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Welding comes with it's own can of worms too. 4th gen Explorers could be had with a welded 1-1/4" hitch which was the bane of many owners, some of whom choose to have it cut out and a 2" welded in it's place. It would be just our luck for them to pull that stunt again.
I could see Explorer people not enjoying that, the thing was the TB came with a 2" welded in to begin with.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's a Class II rated for 350lb TW and 3500lb towing. I suppose that's all it needs.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's a Class II rated for 350lb TW and 3500lb towing. I suppose that's all it needs.
Yes you are right, at 3,500 that likely is all it needs (FYI I realize you have been heavy into the tow capacity rating from previous posts and agree with your lack of disappoint in the actual value!).

Now back to the regular scheduled program...

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although I never pull anything and technically don’t need a hitch, I usually opt to get a vehicle with one.

I’ve seen people add a hitch aftermarket, and it never seems to look as clean/“factory fitting.” Plus like others have said, you don’t have the wiring or you need to wire in something yourself, which adds to my comment on cleanliness.

I like to have a hitch for the ability to add a bike hitch down the road or if I need to pull a small trailer for whatever reason. I also usually install a shackle on my tow hitch, in the event I need it to help pull someone out of a situation.

And lastly, on one of my first vehicles I was actually rear-ended by someone who wasn’t paying attention. When I was hit, it felt like the car would have been destroyed at the back it was that powerful. I remember getting out of the car, expecting the worst… Only to realize my car had a slight crack in the rear bumper, but the guy who hit me had a giant hole ripped into his. Thankfully everyone was ok as well. But I attribute my vehicle being spared (for the most part) by having that hitch.

Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My plan is a factory hitch and wiring installed after purchase. I don't have an immediate need for it, it is typically a fair bit less expensive if you shop around dealers, and the wiring is designed by the factory to integrate with the vehicle. I prefer doing my own work on my vehicles anyway, so I don't see my time and labor as a negative.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure I understand the statements about waiting for aftermarket development of the trailer hitch or the appearance of a non-factory installed hitch. An aftermarket offering is not the only option for those wishing to self install.

The hitch and harness is available in the Ford Accessory Catalog.

Once the production units start to be delivered we'll know the configurations of the factory installed trailer wiring harness, until then Ford has been silent of the specific configuration (AFAIK). Many have speculated that the factory installed unit will include the trailer brake controller connection, but that seems to be conjecture at this point.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there any reason to do factory hitch vs. aftermarket? Pros/cons?
I'm guessing the primary reason you're asking this question is that the hitch is an item that could delay delivery of your Bronco. I'm in that same boat.

I always get the factory tow package because I think it's a better integration and often a better value. On the F150 (admittedly quite a long time ago), the $595 (IIRC) price included the hitch, wiring and additional oil coolers for the transmission at least. Now way I felt comfortable letting some kid cutting into my electrical and oil lines installing the equivalent aftermarket, if I thought I could save any money at all.

The Bronco's hitch doesn't seem to include as much, but I'm not sure if I'll actually tow anything other than using it as a carrier. I think I will need to have a discussion about whether we want to keep it if it will significantly delay delivery.

So for me: con is delayed delivery, pro is not having to wait for just-the-right aftermarket solution that doesn't reduce departure angle because I'm not going to replace the rear bumper.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm opting for the factory Tow to get the wiring, plus since I can't get a roof rack, I need the means to carry "stuff" from day 1.

My plan is to replace the actual factory hitch with an aftermarket rear bumper that has a hitch built in.

Be happy to sell you my factory one afterwards ;)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because the tow package seems so simple but yet is a constrained commodity item, I suspect there's something else baked into the suspension, frame, drivetrain or electronics that hasn't been revealed yet. So, I'm keeping it on my order.
I'm thinking it's the wiring....possible same for the Top..both come with extra wiring harnesses and are sins.... But then again there is the Fog lights and their extra wire harness and have not heard they are a sin... it's all fubar o_O
Sponsored