Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish they would bring back "Three on a Tree"

1976 Chevy truck. 16 years old, first date. Took her to a nearby town to the movies. They had a red light. Put it in neutral waiting for green. Yep, linkage hung up. Get out with the axe handle kept for such moments, popped the hood, and smacked it at just the right spot. Off we go. Got a flat taking her home. Never got a second date.

Probably the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever used was a 3 on the tree 1956 4 door Bel Air with a 265. Man, do I have some great memories from that car. Was a pretty awesome platform for teenage double dating, or sneaking into the Drive In.

I'd love to own another 3 OTT but doubt I ever run across one again.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I never did any off-roading in a manual (or much at all) until this - and I just love it. I test drove a loaded 2.7L and it wasn’t for me. I love the simplicity and control that I have.

It’s definitely been a learning experience on the trail - mainly because I’ve only driven old VWs and a WRX before this. On the road - it’s fun as hell - especially after a few modifications.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never did any off-roading in a manual (or much at all) until this - and I just love it. I test drove a loaded 2.7L and it wasn’t for me. I love the simplicity and control that I have.

It’s definitely been a learning experience on the trail - mainly because I’ve only driven old VWs and a WRX before this. On the road - it’s fun as hell - especially after a few modifications.

Oh the fun you'll have with a manual offroading :)

dinosaurkun

Badlands
First Name
dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR BL 7sp MT in HPR, Mojave in HBP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i really like the manual in the bronco.
thus far, it's shifted well, and the engagement is similar to other cars (ie. not trucks) i've owned.
the engagement point of the clutch is certainly not as a high for the bronco as my mojave.
if you don't unfortunately get a lemon...i'm sure you'll enjoy it.
i missed having a manual when i had a f150 raptor even though it was otherwise a very nice truck.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I'm debating if I should go with the manual, I'm like 95% set on it over the automatic but have some questions, especially when it comes to offroading. First vehicle I had was a V8 5.7L 5 speed Dodge Dakota single cab.

1) I've read on this forum that driving the Bronco manual is different than driving a regular manual. What I have read on here is that you clutch in, change the gear, then clutch out completely and then push down on the accelerator. Is this true? Usually you have to balance both pedals at the same time when changing gears don't you? It's been a while since I drove a manual.

2) When going downhill, what gear do you stay in? Do you just put it in crawler or 1st and leave it there? This will ensure that the vehicle will not pick up speed correct?

See the video below for the kind of trails I plan on doing.

Also, any other tips on driving the manual?

A couple really great gestores of the bronco manual.
if you stall all you have to do is push in the clutch and it will restart.
if you are on cruise control you can shift and cruise will stay activated.
Crawl gear won’t stall.
as you let out the clutch pedal the rpm will go up slightly so you don’t even need to press the accelerator pedal to go in first gear.

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got my Badlands with a manual. Learned to drive with a manual. Owned more cars/trucks with a manual than automatic. Drove a Mitsubishi diesel PU, a Toyota MR2 and Subaru WRX before getting the Bronco. All with manuals.

Bronco shifter is very crisp and a dream. Clutch took a little getting used to. Took about 20 miles of in town traffic. But that's true of all clutches every time you change vehicles. They're all different.

I only considered getting a Bronco because of Ford offering a manual transmission with crawler (granny) gear. You don't get much engine braking with a automatic when going down hill because of slippage in the torque converter. Try going down a long 28% grade and you'll see what I mean. The 10R80 transmission does have a lockup torque converter, but it only locks up at highway speeds to improve fuel economy.

Yes, the automatic features Trail Control but to quote the owner's manual... "The system does not control speed in low traction conditions or extremely steep slopes." You're back to riding your brakes on long steep descents. With a manual you just pick a lower gear and steer. Pick low enough a gear and you don't need brakes, just let the engine idle. I don't know why Ford has descent control with the manual. Descent control uses the brakes and the module can overheat on long descents.

The lowest overall ratios with an automatic are either 57:1, 60:1, 64:1 or 68:1 depending on which transfer case and axle ratio. But there's slippage in the torque converter when going down hill so your effective gearing won't be that low. When accelerating or going up hill there is some torque multiplication in the torque converter when it slips under engine load and you'll have an effective lower gear. That's how they work, hence the name.

With a manual the lowest ratios are 80:1, 84:1, 90:1 or 95:1, again depending on which transfer case and axle ratio. With my Badlands it's 95:1. There's no slippage with a manual transmission unless you press the clutch pedal.

There are advantages to an automatic. It's easier to preload your wheels without spinning. You just give it "just a little" gas until the Bronco starts to move, then hold your throttle at that position without spinning your wheels.

That can make it easier if you're stuck and trying to get unstuck, especially if someone's pulling you with a tow strap. That's not an option with a manual unless your careful with your clutch.

The same is true if you want to hold your position on an uphill grade just using the throttle.

It's also easier to shift between first and reverse when you're trying to rock your way out of being stuck.

Then there's Turn Assist, which only available with the automatic and with good reason.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if you stall all you have to do is push in the clutch and it will restart.
I just had that happen when I killed the engine in an intersection. I was still discovering the difference between my Bronco and my WRX.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just had that happen when I killed the engine in an intersection. I was still discovering the difference between my Bronco and my WRX.
Get the tune from ford it has rev matching which is truly glorious and I find it odd that not all high performance vehicles have this.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the suggestion but I've thought it over and won't get it. Not for over $700. The Bronco's performance is adequate for my needs plus I'm afraid it might require premium fuel only but not sure. If I'm in some remote area and need gas, I want to be able to use whatever is in the pump. Gas stations do run out.

I know some dealers sell it for less, but you have to pay for a dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician to install it to get the warranty.

Finally I don't see why rev matching is needed. The MT is full synchromesh. I learned to drive with "three on the tree." That transmission didn't have synchromesh in first gear so I had to double clutch to get into first when downshifting. Maybe someone could tell me why it's useful?

As I said, it was within the first 20 miles of driving it. It was the first time in years that I accidentally killed an engine.

Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the suggestion but I've thought it over and won't get it. Not for over $700. The Bronco's performance is adequate for my needs plus I'm afraid it might require premium fuel only but not sure. If I'm in some remote area and need gas, I want to be able to use whatever is in the pump. Gas stations do run out.

I know some dealers sell it for less, but you have to pay for a dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician to install it to get the warranty.

Finally I don't see why rev matching is needed. The MT is full synchromesh. I learned to drive with "three on the tree." That transmission didn't have synchromesh in first gear so I had to double clutch to get into first when downshifting. Maybe someone could tell me why it's useful?

As I said, it was within the first 20 miles of driving it. It was the first time in years that I accidentally killed an engine.
Revmatching helps when downshifting on uneven or loose surfaces because it prevents wheel slippage.
also helps your carry speeds into a corner hitting the apex and then accelerating out of thecorner. This is helpful when driving offroad to reduce under steer.
For more on that it’s called heel toe shifting and this revmatching does the hard work for you. .
Btw I only use premium California 91 octane.

LT. DAN ICE CREAM!!!

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tune is absolutely worth it for rev matching alone, the added horsepower is just a bonus to me.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the reply.

I'm very good at heel and toe shifting. It's second nature. My father made sure I knew how to do it before he allowed me to get my driver's license. Needed for starting off on a hill without rolling back, and also not necessary with the Bronco (hill holding) unless on a very gradual hill.

I've driven a lot on dirt with manuals. I won't be racing the Bronco. If I'm in that kind of mood I have a WRX that's been tuned to well over 300 HP.

CaptMorgan

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m looking forward to picking up my 2.3 Base (hopefully this week) and seeing how the clutch and the shifter stack up against the hundreds I’ve driven in the last 45+ years. Automatics are ok. My favorite transmission of all, though, is no transmission. Just a driveshaft from the crankshaft to the quick change rear end.
Sponsored