Sponsored

Those with Bestop Trektop... can it be seasonal or is it more permanent?

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got the hard top on my Badlands Sasquatch. I'm fairly certain I'll prefer the hard top during those winter months (though I know there are those of you who surely have harsher winters than those of us in CO who keep your soft top on year-round. My goal was to get a soft top for those May-Oct months and then run the hard top the other 6 months. So I'm curious. Looking at the fastback Bestop Trektop. How hard is the install and I guess more importantly... how hard is removal and re-install if this is something I only wanted to run 6-8 months out of the year. Is it gonna be so much of a PITA to remove and re-install that once I have it on there I'll end up leaving it on there and just settling for not running my hard top during those winter months? Or is it fairly simple enough to uninstall/reinstall that it shouldn't be a problem and I can enjoy having the best of both worlds?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same intent, and mine is actually arriving today from Bestop. From what I can see, and there is a thread here (sorry - cannot find it) where one of the members outlined the parts that need to be removed, it is going to be more of a pain that I would like. However, there are not a lot of choices so I am going ahead with the understanding that I will have to dedicate a few hours (probably 2-3) to transition it seasonally.

The install experience seems to be a 5-8 hour ordeal if you are on your own (from all the accounts I have read). However, a lot of that is going to be in assembling items that will remain assembled from here forward, regardless of whether it is on the Bronco, or in storage. That is how I am estimating the 2-3 hour time for removing it. Here is one of the threads with good info...

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/how-does-the-bestop-trek-top-install.21247/

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

milnicks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only had the trektop on for a couple weeks now, but love it so far. Had the top back going 70 on the highway without issue. Noticeably louder than the hard top when closed, particularly in the front middle; but a worthwhile tradeoff for near-instant open air. Still plan to switch back to hard top for winter despite the anticipated 3 hrs of work.

Link to my specific post referenced above:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rektop-installation-videos.35010/post-1295104

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only had the trektop on for a couple weeks now, but love it so far. Had the top back going 70 on the highway without issue. Noticeably louder than the hard top when closed, particularly in the front middle; but a worthwhile tradeoff for near-instant open air. Still plan to switch back to hard top for winter despite the anticipated 3 hrs of work.
You know that since we have already purchased ours they are going to introduce one that comes off easily and/or has other features. And, to top it off, since you so painstakingly described the parts that need to be removed/replaced every 6 months, I can no longer (legitimately) whine and scream about what a pain it is because I walked face-first into it, forewarned with your good information.

Curses, @milnicks! ;) (though, since misery loves company, at least we are in the same boat...)

Sponsored
OP
OP
idobleedblue

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the link(s). 1-1.5 hours for seasonal removal and season installation? That doesn't sound that bad. I can definitely live with that.

milnicks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the link(s). 1-1.5 hours for seasonal removal and season installation? That doesn't sound that bad. I can definitely live with that.
That feels light to me, prob more realistically 3 hrs - but won't really know till fall comes round! I've come to terms with it, really not that big of a time investment to get the top you want relative to the season. I would not consider swapping outside of seasonal changes (e.g. for a long road trip or something) - that would be way too much work.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never had the hard top. Installed the Bestop and I'm happy with it. Checked the DBs on the highway and it stayed in the 72-74 range. If a truck or semi passed it might spike to 78-79 DBs.

In terms of cold, was out and about this morning and it was in the 20's and there was no problem.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, got mine yesterday and installed it last night...

Yes, it can (and it will) be seasonal. It is going to be a BIG pain in butt too. I didn't realize how much quieter the MIC top is, and how much air the soft-tops let in (and out) along the length of the sides over the doors where they are essentially unsecured.

I wanted this because while I would love to just remove the entire top for the summer, that is not really practical for the changing weather. Taking off the front panels is okay, but you cannot take off the middle and take it with you, so your options are limited. Want to take the back windows out, and will likely run without them a good bit as well, as I want it as open as possible and the dogs love looking around.

4-5 hours is a good estimate for a "First time" install. I HIGHLY recommend viewing the install video a couple times, and then keeping it open and coming back in to see it, as some of the printed directions are a bit difficult to understand the illustrations on, and the video clears that all up. I took my time between that, some calls, dinner and needing to move into an out of the garage for raising the roof (doesn't open/close under garage door opener).

Got a great tip from Bestop when I could not get the rear window to stretch enough to get attached on both sides - he suggested I run the heater for a while (was not a warm day) and then open the top to release the tension - worked like. a charm and will suffice until the top stretches enough...

Ford Bronco Those with Bestop Trektop... can it be seasonal or is it more permanent? IMG_7190
Ford Bronco Those with Bestop Trektop... can it be seasonal or is it more permanent? IMG_7188

OP
OP
idobleedblue

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, got mine yesterday and installed it last night...

Yes, it can (and it will) be seasonal. It is going to be a BIG pain in butt too. I didn't realize how much quieter the MIC top is, and how much air the soft-tops let in (and out) along the length of the sides over the doors where they are essentially unsecured.

I wanted this because while I would love to just remove the entire top for the summer, that is not really practical for the changing weather. Taking off the front panels is okay, but you cannot take off the middle and take it with you, so your options are limited. Want to take the back windows out, and will likely run without them a good bit as well, as I want it as open as possible and the dogs love looking around.

4-5 hours is a good estimate for a "First time" install. I HIGHLY recommend viewing the install video a couple times, and then keeping it open and coming back in to see it, as some of the printed directions are a bit difficult to understand the illustrations on, and the video clears that all up. I took my time between that, some calls, dinner and needing to move into an out of the garage for raising the roof (doesn't open/close under garage door opener).

Got a great tip from Bestop when I could not get the rear window to stretch enough to get attached on both sides - he suggested I run the heater for a while (was not a warm day) and then open the top to release the tension - worked like. a charm and will suffice until the top stretches enough...

Ford Bronco Those with Bestop Trektop... can it be seasonal or is it more permanent? IMG_7188
Bummer about the noise and air. I was hoping his TFLC's eval of this top (and how quiet it is) would be the general consensus.

So with the 4-5 hour first time install... what do you guestimate an uninstall and re-install to be? 2.5? 3 hours?

Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bummer about the noise and air. I was hoping his TFLC's eval of this top (and how quiet it is) would be the general consensus.

So with the 4-5 hour first time install... what do you guestimate an uninstall and re-install to be? 2.5? 3 hours?
In fairness, I need to give it more time to eval the noise, but it is a big difference between some Twill and a hard top with sound deadening material. For the air, that concerns me, though most of the Bronco's out there are soft tops, so it can't be that bad and maybe I'm spoiled.

A couple of us were tossing numbers around earlier on this tread for what we thought would be the "uninstall/reinstall" time and I think a "couple hours" will be the ballpark. Because you are leaving the top assembly intact, you remove that assembly time and it comes down to removing the various brackets. I used an impact driver (carefully) and that can speed up the work. I think tagging the pieces will take me more time so I remember 'what's what". (yeah, kept the directions, but it will be easier if I carefully box up and label the parts in some kind of order). Reinstalling should not be terrible now, presuming I label things well... šŸ˜œ

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is this soft top really a 3 hour install???? Definatley off my radar then, thanks for the warning.

It takes 3 minutes to remove and reinstall the complete MIC, Ill keep rolling like that lol.

Winger57

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LibertyDiesel,F450,88Ranger, 80Pinto, 65GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Funny you should askā€¦..

WARNING TOPLESS COMES UP A COUPLE TIMES DURING THE VIDEO!
It does show you one thingā€¦ Get rid of your factory soft top ! That thing well itā€™s not ready for prime time must have been a vendor design!

OP
OP
idobleedblue

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Went ahead and ordered mine today before the price increase on the 4th. Plus got a $180 veteranā€™s discount. Pleasantly surprised when she said it should ship within a week since the site says backordered. They just got stock in yesterday. Woo hoo. Ironically, will probably get here before my Bronco.

Need to look into a hardtop garage lift now.

Winger57

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LibertyDiesel,F450,88Ranger, 80Pinto, 65GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I keep fighting the urge to buy things before I even get it! šŸ˜†. Iā€™ve only been waiting a couple months on the Bronco.
Sponsored