Sponsored

Trail Apps - new Bronco app or OnX Offroad?

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BackCountry Navigator was my favorite for many many years....their latest rendition started 5 years ago and the launch has failed miserably....too bad, the earlier version worked great.

OnX has a huge marketing push going, and has some features I like....Gaia has other features I like too, but neither seems to have both. OnX crowdsourced trails are nice IF the mapper knows what they are doing. Most do not.

And for some things, the paid/professional mapping from CartoTracks/Avenza is the most accurate option. I have personally helped with some of those tracks, and know their accuracy.

At the end of the day, find one that you are comfortable with and go with it. Don't do what I do have 4 different programs and change every time you go out...lol

Oh, that's right, I have Earthmate too to go along with my Garmin InReach....uugh
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Gaiahas a newish layer call overlander with some good info.

Maybe I need to learn the tools better, but for me Gaia has all the tools but is not really geared towards the off roader. For example, if you know where you want to off road, Gaia is great to keep you on track.

OnX if the big youtube pusher right now. They have a mode that is specific the off-roading and they have a large (and getting larger) trail guide built in. They have people that are official trail finders that go off and map known off-roading trails.

Personally I have found OnX more buggy than Gaia, And in the perfect world, I think I would almost use OnX to find me the established trails, and then use Gaia to follow them :)

The good news is both of these apps are pretty inexpensive (like $30 per year). And I know at least OnX gives you a trial period.

I'm still undecided myself!

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am also a noobie when it comes to trail maps, but it seems like Gaia has a lot more trails than OnX or Bronco Trails App? But has less information about the trails? i.e Difficulty level?

Markco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why cant i find the app?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why cant i find the app?
Sorry man, but looks like the app has been pulled from both the Apple and Google app stores.

I still have the app and it’s ok for finding some trails in your area and of course it’s free, but didn’t work well and I’m sure not many used it.

Was pulled about 2 weeks ago looks like.

I use GAIA GPS, but many like OnX Offroad. I recently found Trails Offroad app and pay to use it now as well. I don’t have OnX.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why cant i find the app?
Appears Ford has pulled it off the app stores. If you already had it it continues to work, but if you didn’t then you can’t get it.

You aren’t missing out on much though - the other options are all a lot more robust, although only has paid apps. The Bronco Trail app was free (if you got it to work) but that was the best thing going for it.
Sponsored