First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2022 2 Door Basesquatch 2.7 with only 1500 miles. It has developed what I would best describe as a "whirring" noise. Like whistling helicopter blades at a very soft level. Being very technical with a lot of vehicle experience I know it's coming from the drive train. it's not the brakes, not the engine. Only does it when the vehicle is moving and is hot or after driving it 10, 20 miles. It gets faster, slower with vehicle speed and not related to engine speed. Does it in neutral coasting as well. When I am driving near a barrier or building I can hear the noise reflect back. It seems to be getting louder although could be me just listening for it now.

I tried searching and did not find any related post. I have no idea what it could be. Would be very difficult to explain to a dealer tech as the noise is not that loud and they may not even hear it. So I plan to just drive it and wait to see if it gets any louder and be more audible.

Thoughts, ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
tire noise
I thought that too as a remote possibility since it does not do it when cold. Although it doesn't sound like it would be the tires. I don't think the tires would make a whistling noise?

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would take it in to be sure. Have the mechanic ride with you.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2022 2 Door Basesquatch 2.7 with only 1500 miles. It has developed what I would best describe as a "whirring" noise. Like whistling helicopter blades at a very soft level. Being very technical with a lot of vehicle experience I know it's coming from the drive train. it's not the brakes, not the engine. Only does it when the vehicle is moving and is hot or after driving it 10, 20 miles. It gets faster, slower with vehicle speed and not related to engine speed. Does it in neutral coasting as well. When I am driving near a barrier or building I can hear the noise reflect back. It seems to be getting louder although could be me just listening for it now.

I tried searching and did not find any related post. I have no idea what it could be. Would be very difficult to explain to a dealer tech as the noise is not that loud and they may not even hear it. So I plan to just drive it and wait to see if it gets any louder and be more audible.

Thoughts, ideas?
Good morning! I would like to see how I can assist with your noise concern. Can you please send us a DM with your VIN and Ford Dealer info?

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yep- you nailed it. So it's the front driveshaft- defective at the transfer case end it seems.

Is there any other fix other than replace the drive shaft? Is it the boot that is causing the noise or is it just the internals of the CV joint that may not have lube?
Front driveshaft needs replaced. Just lift a front wheel and spin it, you'll hear it. Tell the dealer to do the same, no need for a test drive. They'll think they know better than you anyway and test drive it and say there's no problem.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yep- you nailed it. So it's the front driveshaft- defective at the transfer case end it seems.

Is there any other fix other than replace the drive shaft? Is it the boot that is causing the noise or is it just the internals of the CV joint that may not have lube?
I BELIEVE that it is internal. I honestly didn't investigate or experiment. I believe another member here implied that they tried to lube the boot without effect. I haven't checked OASIS since replacing mine, but i'm not aware of any other fix that Ford has available at this time.

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thoughts, ideas?
If u did an aftermarket radio or added a subwoofer, it's electrical interference coming through your stereo.

Sponsored

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
@BroncoB has the test right. -it's "Undeniable"
Best described as a hand crank noisemaker sound. Easy to dismiss as tire stone or something caught up in a wheel or the drivetrain.
Most of the time it's hard to hear while driving, but it's there.
For my truck, it needs to warm up ( 10 + miles). With a short cool down it goes away so it's not easy to find. Credit to @SuperFord for finding it.
(UPDATED) Rotational squeak / squeal noise below 30mph after driving | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

I dropped it off at my dealership today and told them about @BroncoB diagnostic test.
@Ford Motor Company there are at least half a dozen on this forum with a similar issue.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, credit to SuperFord for finding this. I am sure that is what mine is doing- the noise is identical although not quite a s loud. The noise has to be internal to the CV joint- defective or lack of lube.

I wish there was a home fix. It's going to be an issue for me to get the Bronco hot, have them take it in and put it in on a lift to hear the noise right then and there. I could drop it off for next day appointment so much more easily but they won't hear it cold. Even warm I am still concerned that they will say it is "normal". A lot of time and hassle.

Those of you who replaced your front driveshaft I am sure it's very pricey. Can it be taken apart and just the CV joint culprit be replaced? Are the parts even available? I hate dealerships and typically stay away from them and do all of my own work. I have had at least 3 situations in the past where I spent so much wasted time and brought a (new) vehicle in for a defect- a noise and they could not replicate. I end up fixing myself- diagnosis was bolts not torqued properly on two occasions, defective shock on the other. Both were 100% fixes and not easy to find/diagnosis.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went to the dealership yesterday to show the SM the video and that I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. He said to bring it in and he will make time. He did look at me funny when I explained the noise and dismissed it and said "First I have heard of that one".

So I can't just drop it off as already stated the noise is very difficult to detect and it happens only when the vehicle is hot and cool down can happen fast. If driving around in heavy traffic you won't hear it either- and the dealership is in a very heavy traffic area. I can get it hot and bring it there but my concern is they are going to want to drive and hear it...and they won't. You have to jack it up or put it on a lift, then the noise is super loud as in the video.

Any suggestions how I can address this with the dealer other than bring my jacks and jacking it up in the parking lot? They probably won't have a lift immediately available when it's hot and making the loud noise.

This is a very tough one......why do I always get the tough ones?
It's got to to be the CV joints. Does the entire driveshaft have to be replaced or can the joints be serviced if I want to rebuild the CV joints myself?

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone taken the front driveshaft out? is it easy to remove and re-install?

If I remove it and the noise is gone then I have found the issue. I see a new Driveshaft is available for $339.00. It might be worth just buying a new drivehshaft and avoid the dealership hassle altogether.

Has anyone else with this noise found resolution with replacing the driveshaft? Anyone had a more serious issue like with the transfer case?

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went to the dealership yesterday to show the SM the video and that I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. He said to bring it in and he will make time. He did look at me funny when I explained the noise and dismissed it and said "First I have heard of that one".

So I can't just drop it off as already stated the noise is very difficult to detect and it happens only when the vehicle is hot and cool down can happen fast. If driving around in heavy traffic you won't hear it either- and the dealership is in a very heavy traffic area. I can get it hot and bring it there but my concern is they are going to want to drive and hear it...and they won't. You have to jack it up or put it on a lift, then the noise is super loud as in the video.

Any suggestions how I can address this with the dealer other than bring my jacks and jacking it up in the parking lot? They probably won't have a lift immediately available when it's hot and making the loud noise.

This is a very tough one......why do I always get the tough ones?
It's got to to be the CV joints. Does the entire driveshaft have to be replaced or can the joints be serviced if I want to rebuild the CV joints myself?
Had my Bronco at the dealership last week and they could not find it. I believe they tried, and the service rep did offer that I could bring it back with little notice. I plan to call him tomorrow to set up a road test and have a floor jack ready.

It is tough to hear under most circumstances but that still doesn't make it right. Not so much that it's a squeak as that there is some undue friction in the front drivetrain. I now think you can't let it cool more than a few minutes or it becomes a very weak sound.
Sponsored