Sponsored

Why does the swing gate swing to the right?

BCKMRKR

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak 2-Door, '19 Miata, '15 M235i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If it swung left, and went past 90 degrees, cyclists like me would have to add a verb (gated?) to differentiate from being "doored". Also a Ridgeline owner (it goes to about 90 degrees to the left if you don't know) and yes, left is easier to unload to the curb (the Ridgeline also goes down, but that just makes getting into the trunk more difficult). Just about positive all of the right hand / left hand theories aren't valid.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I dont have an answer for you other than every swing gate vehicle i have ever seen swings to the right.... jeep, lexus GX....even older CRVs and rav 4s.....not sure why it swings away from the curb, but it is annoying from time to time.
CRVs and Rav4s do not swing to curb in their home country but to OPs first utterance: Wrangler tailgates swing right, ergo Bronco tailgates swing right

If jeep tailgates were to drop down as in the original Ford design then Bronco tailgates would resemble Ranger tailgates. All we have to do is mount the spare on the bonnet Ala LR Series I-III

nealpark

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr FE / 2013 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
FJ Cruisers swing open to the left

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roll down rear windows = Airflow plus room for surfboards and 2x4's to hang out, loading groceries is the third benefit.

Sorry Bronco, you're beat three to one, here is a proper Bronco tailgate:

mxwkxhqduti5fu4ufdbx__24661.1709697239.jpg
That wouldn't make much sense.... Most of Europe drives on the right side. The British Isles are the oddity that drive on the left side of the road in Europe.

1713395245400-u9.png
fā€™ing aussies. To me not so much the steering location but itā€™d take me a while to get good at manual trans with left hand. And Iā€™m a pretty good right handed guitarist

Sponsored

irishkpo

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 300ZX TT, '23 BRaptor, '24 HLE 2dr soon.....
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

fā€™ing aussies. To me not so much the steering location but itā€™d take me a while to get good at manual trans with left hand. And Iā€™m a pretty good right handed guitarist
I feel you. Driving a JDM R33 Skyline drove me crazy for about a week trying to shift with my left hand.

BCKMRKR

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I feel you. Driving a JDM R33 Skyline drove me crazy for about a week trying to shift with my left hand.
Completely understand - about as long as it took me to get used the center seat in my McLaren F1...

irishkpo

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 300ZX TT, '23 BRaptor, '24 HLE 2dr soon.....
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Completely understand - about as long as it took me to get used the center seat in my McLaren F1...
An F1 has the shift lever on the right just like any NA left hand drive car. Other than sitting in the middle of the car I fail to see your point. A right hand drive JDM has a shifter on the left.

If that was just a flippant comment trying to imply that I was flexing about owning a Skyline. I wasn't. I didn't say My Skyline. I said it drove me crazy for a week. They aren't that uncommon up in Canada like they are in the states since you don't have to wait 25 years to import one and if you have friends who live their that you visit often to go fishing - well then you get to drive their car...

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I drove a manual transmission in the UK, the hardest part was getting over my expectation that the transmission would be mirrored as well. First gear was to the far left. I never got to speed-shifting quickness and definitely prefer shifting with my right hand. Shifting with the right hand is proof that in the US, we drive on the right side of the road, and in the UK, they drive on the wrong side. šŸ™‚

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shifting with your left, I like to call it, "The Stranger". It gets more interesting if you sit on your hand until it goes numb.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
True, but look at it this way; God made a small percentage of the population as geniuses and the rest he made to be right handed. šŸ˜
True !!

OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, I opened quite the can of worms. I have confirmed that in RHD countries, well, at least the UK, the tailgate still swings to the right. So I think most of our assumptions, such as the driver having to walk around the back to open, swinging towards the curb instead of into traffic, etc are not true. I don't think it would take much for them to have it swing to the left in RHD countries, so I guess that only thing that makes sense is that it is for right handed people.

https://www.palmerscars.co.uk/jeep/used-cars/16580907-jeep-wrangler-2.0-gme-rubicon-4dr-auto8/

Personally I would prefer a swing down tailgate, and find somewhere else for the spare.

BCKMRKR

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the research - not sure if the laws are different there, but there are a few more considerations that are either coincidental or regulated. If you were to swing left, opening to just 90 degrees blocks the driver's side tail light when the spare is attached (with the wheel extended to about the width of my Sas fenders). Believe one reason most/all hatch and lift backs are required to have stationary taillights.

At full extension, it would go about 2' farther into traffic + block the taillight. With almost all older cars being poor on offset crashes when at least part of a bumper is impacted, plus the bottom of the gate (on a stock Sas) being 32" (the base of the windshield of a current Miata), the tailgate could easily become a passenger-bisecting tool with nothing to stop or even slow it down. Not an ideal placement if you were stopped on a dark night changing a tire on the side of the road.

Or it could just be "because the hinge is on the right", the response above that is the sort of clever answer kids give to test questions that is both correct and funny...

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand the swing tailgates for the 4Ds so that some reach challenged people can reach things. That's not an issue with the 2D.

I wish that @fomoco would have followed the EB for the 2D with a Swing Away Tire Carrier, Drop Down Tailgate and Lift Up Rear Glass on the Hardtop.
Sponsored