First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well my windshield finally got a rock chip and a super small crack. Has anyone used those do-it-yourself resin kits? If so, which ones are suggested? I’m not expecting perfection nor am I going to spend $1,000 on a new windshield.
Sponsored

Dr.Ross

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dreadfulobjects.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, they work. I just ordered my second one earlier tonight.

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bought one at Auto Zone a few years ago for another vehicle. Sorry, can't remember the brand. It worked, though. You could still see the chip, but it never got any bigger or cracked. I considered that a win

Last edited:

Sponsored

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting, got my first crack at 5 mos and had Safelight repair it for $149.00…in hindsight was a blessing as I’m no longer worried about windshield cracks. Plan is to go at least 5 cracks b4 replacing windshield…but question about the DIY kits how do you pull a vacuum to ensure resin/glue is embedded in crack?

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My comprehensive auto insurance will pay for chip repairs.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well my windshield finally got a rock chip and a super small crack. Has anyone used those do-it-yourself resin kits? If so, which ones are suggested? I’m not expecting perfection nor am I going to spend $1,000 on a new windshield.
mamt times on many car’s. Works great

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My comprehensive auto insurance will pay for chip repairs.
Still counts as a claim. Repeat enough claims and you'll find out that your rates increase or your policy dropped. @HotdogThud lives in AZ also and he can attest to my statement.

For the OP, I bought a kit at Auto Zone. There are only a few kits stocked. I like to keep a kit on hand. Real easy process for chips. It saves a claim on your insurance and prevents the chip from progressing into a crack. With the right angle of the sun, I could faintly see the repair. Overall, it isn't noticeable.

@HotLap The kits have a plunger that attaches to a seal around the repaired area. You depress the plunger and lock it in place maintaining the pressure. After a set amount of time, your remove the plunger/seal and place a transparent cover over the resin. Then you expose it to sunlight which cures the resin. After cure, remove the transparent cover and clean up excess with a razor blade.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks BB for the explanation, had no idea these kits were available. Agree on the claims comment, I paid oop for my repair, finally in a zip code where my rates are lower and not going to rock that boat👍

Sponsored

Iron Lion

Outer Banks
First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you live in Floria the insurance compaines give you a one time fix for free. My windshield needs to be replaced. If it cracks longer than a dollar bill resin won't do it! The cost is $775.00 and they have to recalibrate it. I never heard of that, but they said it is because of the sensors. If you can fix it yourself with resin go for it. Save the windshild replacement when u need it. Because these winshields have no pitch a rock hits it and it's gone! I was talking to the salesman at Ford he said his wife comutes ever day on I 75 and they replaced the windshield 4 times since Aug. Either she follows trucks or it is just a fault of Ford making the windshield so flat. I hear Jeeps have the same issue... Im lifting my truck I hope that helps being a bit higher than other vechicles.. Good luck!

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just for the reason of rock chips, I added a hood deflector in the front, hopefully to to deflect some of the stones and rocks .

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still counts as a claim. Repeat enough claims and you'll find out that your rates increase or your policy dropped. @HotdogThud lives in AZ also and he can attest to my statement.
I've never found that to be a problem. Four stone chips fixed on my last car. Premiums didn't go up. Also Arizona doesn't allow insurance companies to drop someone. All the company can do is raise rates. Of course other states are different.

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For those that have replaced the windshield, what was the cost?

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've used the Permatex kit once on a previous car. Worked like a charm.
Sponsored

Last edited: