Bronco Dad

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2022 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I have the same noise on my 2.3L. I describe it as a screen door squeak. Another forum thread I found believes its the Turbo Waste Gate Actuator. I haven't confirmed that, nor was a fix proposed other than possibly greasing the fitting. Doesn't appear to affect operation, just annoying when you start the car with the windows down.

roboticsrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While mines at the dealer I asked about this too and they also said it’s the turbo wastegate and is normal.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes its happen many time until i drive it its gone but the question is it normal??
Per the other replies seems normal. But next time starting my Bronco, I'll sit for a few minutes, and check if the sound occurs more than a few times.

fyi, my 2.3L is noisy in general, perhaps the noisiest engine I've ever owned. Makes a lot of ticking/clatter, especially before warming up. My other engines are significantly quieter.

I hope to find some other local Broncos to compare the engine sound, so I have an audio baseline in my head what to expect.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The sound of these engines running cold for the first couple minutes it’s unsettling. For sure.

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
fyi, my 2.3L is noisy in general, perhaps the noisiest engine I've ever owned. Makes a lot of ticking/clatter, especially before warming up. My other engines are significantly quieter.
I hear that . The 2.3 in my 2020 Ranger sounded like an old diesel. It was certainly a noisy engine.

Rocks

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Mach e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The noise at 3 seconds just sounds like some type of actuator cycling, which at cold start is probably completely normal. Unless it does it constantly or all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.
This 👆

Asked my mechanic about this same noise @start/warmup. He said it's an actuator and is normal. I no longer worry about this loud little engine. 😉

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Per the other replies seems normal. But next time starting my Bronco, I'll sit for a few minutes, and check if the sound occurs more than a few times.

I hope to find some other local Broncos to compare the engine sound, so I have an audio baseline in my head what to expect.
Nothing wrong with the 2.3 engine being loud. It's just because its a small GDIT engine with a timing chain. I'm not sure about the wastegate actuator noise since I haven't noticed it myself, but the rest is normal happy noises for an engine like that. Now if you hear knocking, surging, or any stumbling then you know something is definitely wrong.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Abdulrahman Alkhulaifi

Big Bend
First Name
Abdulrahman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco big bend 4D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the same noise on my 2.3L. I describe it as a screen door squeak. Another forum thread I found believes its the Turbo Waste Gate Actuator. I haven't confirmed that, nor was a fix proposed other than possibly greasing the fitting. Doesn't appear to affect operation, just annoying when you start the car with the windows down.
Yes exactly when the window is down you can hear it clearly i dont know what is the best description about the sound but it’s obvious on 3 sec if u notice

RyanRallyX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Tacoma, '12 Pilot, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always hear that at start up, many times more than once. Darn engine is always loud for the first couple minutes. I really notice everything as my wife pulls it out from the garage in the morning as I tie my shoes. :) I agree that it's nothing to worry about. May seem out of the norm as many of us may be first time ecoboost/ turbo owners.

Rocks

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Mach e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actuator noise (sounds like a bird squawk) goes away after engine completes warm-up cycle (when RPM drops to 900 from 1,200).