Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it true that you got smoked by a ranger? Someone mentioned that in another thread.
Yep, in every conceivable way. Dirt, pavement, 2wd, 4wd, 4A. It was when I only had about 700 miles, so I wasn't holding gears manually or going nuts in any other way trying to build boost. I also had two more passengers. Broncos (especially the BL) are heavy and the transmission/ECM seem specifically tuned to limit power at launch. Most other situations it pulls great. We will mess around a bit more now that I am past the break in period. I will also mention to "R60" transmissions is less intrusive and smoother in regular driving the the "R80".

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, in every conceivable way. Dirt, pavement, 2wd, 4wd, 4A. It was when I only had about 700 miles, so I wasn't holding gears manually or going nuts in any other way trying to build boost. I also had two more passengers. Broncos (especially the BL) are heavy and the transmission/ECM seem specifically tuned to limit power at launch. Most other situations it pulls great. We will mess around a bit more now that I am past the break in period. I will also mention to "R60" transmissions is less intrusive and smoother in regular driving the the "R80".
My 2.7 F150 Supercrew 4x4 consistently smoked this same Ranger too.

Ford Bronco Fuel economy at 70-80 mph? 1626979291917

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Picked up our non-sas Badlands (2.7 4 door) yesterday. Then we proceeded to go visit the kids in a college town 120 miles away. The round trip was approximately 300 miles, 80% of it was on the freeway between 70 and 75 mph (I was trying to be nice to it). On the way there, I used normal mode and on the way back, we used eco mode. Our average mpg was 20.5 according to the gauge.

Last edited:
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked up our non-sas Badlands (2.7 4 door) yesterday. Then we proceeded to go visit the kids in a college town 120 miles away. The round trip was approximately 300 miles, 80% of it was on the freeway between 70 and 75 mph (I was trying to be nice to it). On the way there, I used normal mode and on the way back, we used eco mode. Our average mpg was 20.5 according to the gauge.
Thanks very much!

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Phoenix to the California border, set the cruise at 85:

My Mustang GT gets 25 PMG
Our Expedition gets 19.2

Ridiculous that a car 2000 lbs heavier than the Bronco with a V8 can get so much better mileage than the eco-boost.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our Expedition gets 19.2

Ridiculous that a car 2000 lbs heavier than the Bronco with a V8 can get so much better mileage than the eco-boost.
Thanks for that. I agree the ecoboosts are thirsty. If you talk to the F150 guys that tow, the 5.0 always does better than the 3.5 eco on fuel

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Our Expedition gets 19.2

Your Mustang weighs 6-7000 pounds? WTH you got in it? I thought my Challenger was heavy at 4400 pounds.

Last edited:

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My BL 4 door:

traveled 160 miles home yesterday at 79 MPH. Averaged 15.2 mpg per computer. Should get better when broken in……

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My BL 4 door:

traveled 160 miles home yesterday at 79 MPH. Averaged 15.2 mpg per computer. Should get better when broken in……
SAS package?

Sponsored
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From everything that I've read 55mph to 59mph is the optimal speed to drive on the highway if you're worried about gas mileage.

There was a study done by the department of energy and they found that on average a vehicle (since they all have different gearing and engine size) will get the sticker advertised MPG at 55mph.

According to the study this is what they concluded.

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

So basically just take the advertised mpg that's on your vehicle sticker and subtract 28% to get a ballpark mpg figure.

Couple things that come to mind is that I wouldn't feel safe driving 80mph+ in a vehicle like a Bronco that has a high center of gravity in case you have to make a sudden turn to prevent hitting something in the road and end up flipping the vehicle. Also, if you plan on going 80mph why not get a different car that will probably get double the mpg as the Bronco?

Personally from what I've found out driving over the years is that driving 80mph+ is only worth it if you're driving long distances, say Michigan to Florida, then you will save a couple of hours but if you're just driving 10 miles or less you will barely save any time. That's why when I drive on the highway I just set cruise control at 59mph and stay in the right lane.

Couple years back I ran my own study. I work a 12 hour shift and get off at 7pm, I would drive right after work straight to the gym. I did about 85mph to see how long it would take me to drive 25 miles and then the next day I did 55mph ( this is all 95% highway). I found that the couple of minutes I saved was not worth the hassle of driving like a race car driver.

Here in MI no one drives the speed limit, especially on the highway. You have people doing 85mph+ all the time, it's like a race. On Woodward people are doing 60mph in a 45mph zone. I don't get it.
Good info, but I question the study's overall outcome. My current daily driver is a Civic, which displays MPG, and where I live in Texas there are many 70 MPH tollways/highways. When I am traveling at 70-80 MPH I have an MPG of ~32, versus slower driving which is ~27-29.

That is just me though. I know there are hundreds of variables that can be taken into account.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Except for the ridiculous "Safety Corridor" in New Mexico. Most worthless section of asphalt any where...
I will be driving the “safety corridor” Saturday as I head to Red River, NM for some off roading
Ford Bronco Fuel economy at 70-80 mph? 1042A0CA-2465-437B-B2D0-C611A6B6A2F5

Packed up and ready to roll!
Sponsored

Last edited: