Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
KillerKwall
Wanted to gauge some thoughts from folks on this club about the Sasquatch. Mainly, do you think in MI, there are many places that it gives you an advantage off-road to say a stock BD. I went to the off road rodeo and was blown away by the performance. Mainly at the stability in high speeds on gravel and rocks. Ultimately, I think I will end up holding off due to desire to tow and fuel economy but I wanted to get people thoughts.
Show full message
Reactions: ScoutandBronco
ArrickSports
ArrickSports
To me, when I was looking at it, it was all about the cool factor. I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to push a Badlands let alone a Badlands with the Sasquatch package. I am a newbie though and only here for the Bronco nostalgia when I get mine.

Someone did pick up a two door Badlands Area 51 from Varsity either yesterday or today I would guess. I drove by and saw it sitting out there ready to go.
gjproducer
gjproducer
I am an off road noob looking to get better once I have my BL - SAS. I went with the BL to really have all the best stock off road features just in case I take a big trip and also for resell. I think you would have a much easier time selling a 6 yr old BL SAS than a 6 yr old BD IMHO.
VelocityBronco
VelocityBronco
For me, on a BD I would get the Sasquatch for the front and rear lockers, the upgraded suspension, and the 35" tires. It makes a lot of sense, unless you are just driving pavement and will never go offroad. Adding up the cost to add those components on later will be more than getting it right from Ford.
But, people have been offroading with Jeeps/trucks in Michigan with 32s/33s for a long time, so if you went without Sasquatch, you would be just fine with only a rear locker.
I went with Badlands, not just because it was the best trim, but sentimental reasons as well. It didn't make sense to get Sasquatch on BL because it only really added the 35" tires and wheels that I didn't like.

I did debate getting Sasquatch anyway, solely because of the name/brand, and when people ask if its a Sasquatch, I can tell them. Now I have to explain why it's not a Sasquatch and what the difference is...

These are only my opinions, I am also new to offroading 4x4s, so do whatever you feel comfortable.
Mattwings
Mattwings
When the group went out together to a Holly Oaks it was really Interesting. We had 3 BL, one SQ, one 2.7 auto and 2.3 manual, plus an OBX with stock 32s and rear locker. All were super capable. The SQ and 35s definitely had the advantage in deeper mud and ground clearance. 33s on stock BL vs. SQ? It was noticeable, but not huge. My suggestion, if you can afford it, is to go BL and SQ if you like the look and don’t mind the $. The stay bar disconnect is awesome, not just for articulation, but ride quality at low speeds trail running. My second choice would be Black Diamond, non SQ, with the 4A case. It can take 33s without a lift and would go most places the BL would, giving up a few nice to haves. Just my opinion.
ScoutandBronco
ScoutandBronco
I have done some offroading in the past but no expert at all. Most of mine was done in a Ranger with rear locker and 32's. Quite capable especially as you get better off road. I had an OBX with rear locker ordered and was planning on swapping to 33s.

I just switched to a Badlands mainly for the front locker, stock 33s and shock upgrade. The sway bar disconnect is a bonus. I was looking for Lux package so was stuck on those 2. If you aren't looking for the Lux, I think a BD with SAS would be a nice option to gain some goodies from the Factory.
KillerKwall
KillerKwall
Great feedback! I originally ordered a BL but backed out due to the cost (I have a Wedding and House Buying in 2022). I agree that a Non-SAS BL is the best compromise.
VelocityBronco
VelocityBronco
I don't think there is really a bad choice here, well maybe don't get the Base, I despise the Base model, sorry.
You could buy a BD with rear locker and put 33" tires on without any mods. There will be quick release sway bar mods coming in the future, so you are almost equal to the BL at that point.
EcoBco
EcoBco
My thoughts were, one day I would eventually want 35's. So why not save some money and have all the correct gearing installed with a factory warranty
Mattwings
Mattwings
I think if anyone is considering 35" tires, BL or SQ is a better investment. The HD front axle will survive the larger tires with greater reliability for sure. The GY MTs are the lightest "35" available I believe. Most will be much heavier and obviously exceed what Ford wants to warranty on the "lighter" axles. Way cheaper to do it up front than to try and upgrade later.
etmccaus86
etmccaus86
I've just always wanted a vehicle with front and rear lockers, ex-factory.
Since a basequatch is cheaper than a Badlands, that's the route I'm taking.
Xixa
Xixa
I was very impressed when I tested a Bronco with the Sasquatch package, but it would be a waste to order my Bronco with that option considering that I would seldom (never say never...) need the front locking diff and bar disconnect. For my intended use even the 35" tires would be an overkill and make it harder for an eventual passenger to get in and out. The rear locker for me should be enough with 32" (P255/75R17 A/T) tires given the standard long wheel travel. I cannot judge the difference provided by the high-end shock absorbers, they might be part of the reason for the excellent suspension behavior of the Sasquatch with the higher unsprung weight courtesy of those large tires, but the standard shocks are not bad either, and you have the slight benefit of a lower CG (and lower cost). It all depends on your intended use of your Bronco.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views