Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
Mattwings
I am going to be in Grayling Nov. 24 and maybe the 26 or 27th to drop off and pick up my Fat bike for its “after purchase “ tune up. I will probably do a ride with my other bike while I am there and or would like to do some more exploring of the trails and state forest roads. If anyone’s interested in one of those three days around, let me know. It would be fun to get some Broncos together again! I will also be at our cottage in Tawas and would be happy to meet up and do some East side exploring the 26th or 27th. It’s a bit of a crapshoot, because it’s Firearm Deer season, but ORV routes and all roads open to licensed vehicles are open.
Show full message
Motor City Lifer
Motor City Lifer
what do I have to do to get an ORV license ?
View previous replies…
Mattwings
Mattwings
@VelocityBronco My understanding, it's only required in specific instances, Holly Oaks being one (all scramble areas require them). For most of the State forest "roads" as long as you have a license plate, you are good. I have been buying them for the ORV routes we use, more to support the trail development and avoid confusion with the DNR than actual compliance with regulations. Depending on snow cover, there can be some fun "seasonal road" rides to do. Just have to stay off groomed snowmobile trails as soon as they run groomers until the snow is gone.
VelocityBronco
VelocityBronco
@Mattwings Silver Lake requires ORV License and ORV Trail Permit, as well as the Recreation Passport...
Holly Oak requires ORV License and ORV Trail Permit.

Where did you put your stickers?

My truck has a street license plate. Do I need an ORV license and trail permit to ride on designated ORV routes?
No. Neither an ORV license nor a trail permit is required to drive a street-licensed truck on designated ORV routes. If, however, the route is not passable by a conventional 2-wheel-drive passenger automobile designed for highway use, then the vehicle is being used as an ORV and requires both an ORV license and a trail permit.

I don't understand why they split these licenses a few years ago. Just make it one sticker and save everyone the headache.
Mattwings
Mattwings
@VelocityBronco I think the only time the stickers split is for use on frozen surfaces. ATVs for ice fishing if memory serves. That weird wording you mentioned is why I keep my stickers on year round. Even the two routes I use are almost entirely county roads, so nit likely to actually be an issue.

For those not wanting the government to get more of your $, I am usually in exactly the same camp. In the case of MI DNR, they are funded 90%+ by fees. 30 years ago that would have made me want to pay even less to them, these days the DNR is much more friendly to recreation users (from hunting to hikers, ATVs, Snowmobiles etc.) They have a lot of different interests to consider, but we probably get a better deal with the DNR than most other areas of our state government.

I put them on my back window.
Motor City Lifer
Motor City Lifer
I am interested in a 26th or 27th outting
Mattwings
Mattwings
Anyplace that sells hunting/fishing licenses sells them. You need them at Holly Oaks , the other scramble areas (like Silver Lake) and potentially parts of the ORV routes, although most routes are open to street licensed vehicles, there are some spots where they cross over scramble areas. My current plan is to try and do a trail ride in Grayling or Oscoda the 24th, 26th or 27th. If people want to do Holly Oaks the 27th or 28th, I could potentially be back in metro Detroit Saturday. Holly Oaks shows open Nov.26-28. It is a little concerning on the state forest roads and ORV routes that weekend, because of Rifle Deer season.
BroncoAW
BroncoAW
Not sure what it is now but ORV routes used to be closed during firearm season, you could only operate on them before shooting starts and after shooting starts, it’s usually in the hunting digest every year.
Mattwings
Mattwings
We would have to stay on tracks open to street licensed vehicles. Most of the routes are open to licensed vehicles. ORV use in hunting areas is restricted. Holly Oaks is probably better, as it is not a public hunting area!

ORV operation is prohibited in public hunting areas during the regular November firearm deer season, from 7 - 11 a.m. and 2 - 5 p.m.; except for the following cases:

- Going to or from a residence or hunting camp that is inaccessible by a conventional vehicle (subject to state land regulations).
- On private property, with landowner's permission.
- Passenger vehicles while being operated on roads capable of sustaining automobile traffic.
Reactions: BroncoAW
Motor City Lifer
Motor City Lifer
@Mattwings Holly Oaks is certainly much closer for me, and would make the outing much more accessible.
The wife has no interest in a 6 hour round trip to "drive in the woods" she laughs no thank you. lol
yeet
yeet
Will be gone for Thanksgiving weekend - gonna see how the Bronco does on an 8 hour road trip. Down for another meet up at Holly Oaks in early Dec. A couple neighbors with Wranglers are interested in tagging along for next one
Mattwings
Mattwings
December 11th is the last Saturday Holly Oaks is open until April 10th. Maybe we should shoot for a Bronco (and anyone else interested) meet up then?
Motor City Lifer
Motor City Lifer
are we talking Dec 11th in addition to Nov 26/27, or are we bailing out of a Nov meet? I am interested in both outings.
Mattwings
Mattwings
I don’t think we had enough takers on the 26th/27th. I was concentrating on the 11th. I will probably stay up north for the Thanksgiving weekend.
Reactions: Motor City Lifer
Motor City Lifer
Motor City Lifer
@Mattwings is Holly Oaks something that I can do safely as a novice with no off road experience, or should I just wait for the group outing? I cant wait to try some mild obstacles.
Mattwings
Mattwings
You can totally do it on your own. Just take it easy and watch where others are going (or not) with full size rigs.
Mattwings
Mattwings
I may come back and head out to Holly Oaks the 27th. It depends on weather and what’s going on at our cabin. If you are going, let the group know.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views