Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
etmccaus86
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever purchased a new vehicle from a dealer outside of Michigan, and dealt with the titling/ registration/ taxation involved? Especially curious if you've done that and had a secured interest (finance/ lienholder) involved.

I'm bored of ranting about top colors and option constraints, so figured I'd start doing homework on this, since - like at least a few of you - I'll be taking delivery in Iowa.
Show full message
kplumb09
Following for same curiosity, although I'm likely going to WV. My guess is you will have to secure the loan including everything (vehicle, taxes, fees) then the financial institution will cut you two separate checks, one to pay the dealer and then the other to pay the state taxes once you get back and register in the state.
etmccaus86
etmccaus86
@kplumb09 Not a bad idea to have the second check cut, but wondering about what to do when it comes to applying for title. If I'm issued an out-of-state title w/ lienholder noted, it looks as if things are tricky.
Mattwings
Mattwings
I have done it and it adds a bit of complication, but nothing that can’t be worked out ahead of time. My only issue was making sure the lien holder information was correct on the paperwork with the dealer and to connect the dealer to my credit union. Whoever is loaning you the $ wants their name on the title documents at inception. My CU has been pretty awesome, so they approved my loan over the phone and worked out the process with the dealer. I was putting decent money down and both parties just let me sign and drive it away??
Reactions: etmccaus86
etmccaus86
etmccaus86
@Mattwings Right. My current truck was bought new in-state but I handled ALL the transaction between my bank and dealer; dealer did not work directly with my CU whatsoever.

THAT SAID - the second paragraph of this page gives me pause. If I'm issued an out-of-state title at purchase with lienholder noted at that time, then it seems like trying to get a MI title is difficult, if not impossible? Guess I could live with that, though I do wonder what further hoops have to be jumped through once it's paid off.

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-5647_12539_48268-28933--,00.html
Mattwings
Mattwings
The out of state dealer should be able to send the title work through MI directly. I would ask whichever dealer you are working with, Granger must be doing some with several states.
etmccaus86
etmccaus86
@Mattwings Yeah, I plan on asking Albert when he's not completely being bombarded with emails (sooooo...maybe in November? lol).

Just was curious if anyone here had done it before I go pester Granger.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views