Sponsored

Utah Bronco Owners Unite!

Unite to Meetup, plan excursions, exchange ideas, stories, and help eliminate the Dealer Markups in the State.
Kmautah
Hi Utah Bronco owners - wondering if anyone has any recommendations for moderate trails in the St. George area? I'm very familiar with the area, I have done SxS riding in the sand-hollow dunes area and plenty of mountain biking, just not super familiar with the off-road scene. I picked up my Bronco last month, and will be in St. George in a couple weeks and want to get a better feel for my Badlands capabilities.

I'm not a newbie per se, but also definitely not an expert. I've got a compressor and basic recovery gear (shovel, kinetic recovery rope, soft shackles, but no winch), I will also be alone so don't want to get into anything too hairy. What is the fins n' things equivalent in St. George? I realize there isn't as much sandstone, but looking for something fun, that has low likelihood of getting in trouble. I love watching Matt's Recovery videos, but I'm not interested in being part of those videos :)
Show full message
Reactions: TheKim
TheKim
TheKim
Not familiar with the area, but I recommend OnX Offroad for finding trails near you. It's worked pretty well for me so far.
Hopefully someone else can give some good recommendations for the area.

Good luck, carry plenty of supplies (blankets, water, things like that), and have fun!

Please share pics and details if you find a good trail! :cool:
JBKO
JBKO
TrailsOffroad is another good resource for finding trails. OnX is fun for researching trails, and finding new ones, where TrailsOffroad works well for getting a sort of preview of the trail. TO provides tons of photos and descriptions, and only lists things that they have actually driven.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/map?c=-113.691208,37.164447&z=9.2

It's been a few years since I took a 4x4 down that way, but the first half of Toquerville Falls was a ton of fun in 2018 F-150. (Had to bail early because the other vehicles in my group needed to turn back. So, getting to the falls in the Bronco is on my list.)

I'll actually be heading down that way in a few weeks as well. My kiddo has a soccer tournament, and I'll be trying to stick around a few extra days to play around at Sand Hollow for a bit.
Reactions: Kmautah
Kmautah
Kmautah
@JBKO Thanks for the reference to trails offroad, I signed up for the trial, seems like a good resource.
bjpatten
bjpatten
This week we have the Winter 4x4 Jamboree. https://winter4x4jamboree.com/ I recommend you to take the Toquerville Falls trail first. Then head over to Gunlock for the trails there. If you go on this site and look at the trails that will be ran you can see the trail rating. I have lived here for 6 years and haven't done them all. I own a SXS and my Badlands. Had a Rubicon before the Badlands. If you come down after, then hit me up and I will go with you!
Kmautah
Kmautah
@bjpatten Thanks. I'll be down there weekend of the 27th staying near sand hollow, I may just hit you up.
I won't have a ton of time but would love to do a couple hours in the sand hollow area on either friday (26th) or saturday morning. I did Toquerville to the falls a couple years ago in my Yukon, it's a fun trail, I was jealous of the jeeps I saw going beyond the falls continuing on that trail.
Kmautah
Kmautah
@bjpatten decided to just come down to the Jamboree - which has been awesome, thanks again for the tip. Ran West Rim today, doing Milt's Mile Lite tomorrow. Fun stuff, and nice to have a group with you to give support, spotting, and confidence to run those lines you might not try alone.
woodysfj40
woodysfj40
The most accurate maps for Sand Hollow are from CartoTracks - I helped with mapping/rating and still submit new ones. OnX is crowdsourced and the tracks are a mess. They ARE better than no tracks, but most people don't know the "official" lines for the trail ratings.

Sand Hollow is an awesome play area, from mild to wild, and plenty of bypasses or more challenging routes. I'm in the area, but am usually out in my rear steer comp rig running the 11-15 stuff :) You can access the trails FREE via the Water Tanks parking, and avoid the state park fee. Be sure you have your flag.

Sand Hollow Trails on FB frequently has groups of all levels posting meetup times.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views