BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice write up, one of the best mods you can do to the Bronco. I went with stage 2, but think it’s an over kill for most owners unless you plan on a lot of rocks. Even then have never seen a failure on any upgraded racks yet.
I feel like the stage 1 will serve me well. And others as well. I don’t do much rocks.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Approximately how long did it take you and how soon after install did you get an alignment?
It took me 4hrs 12:00pm Friday till 4:00 but that was from tools assembly-after box removal of tools new sockets etc. organizing jack & stands to clean up.

Test drove verified all was well and she was tracking straight. Today 11:00am got an alignment. So 24hrs to alignment.
Ford Bronco 74weld stage 1 steering upgrade DIY install IMG_1175

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Although I enjoy installing some simple things on my own vehicle, for the sense of accomplishment, I would lose my sh*t trying to install anything more technical, like this :ROFLMAO: I am impatient, and not handy at all, and would screw something up. I know my limit...

But I am envious of folks who can do all this stuff. Looks awesome, and I'm sure you feel accomplished and saved yourself a lot of money by not having someone else do it. Well done!
Completely understand. I took my time didn’t rush it. I was proud of myself for not screwing anything up 😂

Cajun Czar

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the Stage 1 and Icon tie rods installed 3 weeks ago along with SVC perch collars I got off Marketplace.
Yesterday wheeled Eglin AFB all day. And although it’s not hard wheeling the upgrade and the 2” lift worked great.

IMG_1639.jpeg

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got the Stage 1 and Icon tie rods installed 3 weeks ago along with SVC perch collars I got off Marketplace.
Yesterday wheeled Eglin AFB all day. And although it’s not hard wheeling the upgrade and the 2” lift worked great.

IMG_1639.jpeg
Ford Bronco 74weld stage 1 steering upgrade DIY install IMG_1200

Nice!!!! Me too. Did a shakedown all went well.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not many of these vids doing this posted...

Kmautah

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lariat, Tesla Model 3, MB Sprinter Van (170)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s like therapy working on your own rig. Basic dude stuff. After lift & 37s figure 74 weld was in order.

IMG_1124.jpeg
IMG_1108.jpeg
IMG_1129.jpeg
IMG_1130.jpeg
IMG_1133.jpeg
IMG_1135.jpeg
IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1143.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1145.jpeg
IMG_1146.jpeg
IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_0974.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
Nice work @bkfit , I'm jealous. My question is this: Now that Ford has other options to upgrade to the HOSS 3.0 steering, would you just go that route instead? For the Stage 1 and Icons, you're around $1,350 for parts. Ford Performance now has the Severe Duty steering rack upgrade for $1,300 which is essentially the HOSS 3.0 steering rack (not just the upgraded housing, but the upgraded motor/full rack) and Ford performance tie rods. The rack not beautiful 74weld billet aluminum, but it's a heavier-duty rack, a better motor, and upgraded tie rods (I assume the Ford performance tie rods are roughly equivalent to the icons). Downside is there is more to it - you also have to buy the Pro-Cal 4 for programming (there are benefits from that too like performance tune), so an additional required $825. Plus this install job now gets bigger, likely requires Ford to install, etc. Fortunately, there are various choices now....

I have a '22 Badlands w/ 3" lift on 37's, similar to you I think. I already bought the icons, and RC bushings, have not installed them yet. Still debating if adding Icons without a steering upgrade is smart. Adding bushings is no-brainer, just think that if I'm taking off the tie rods to add bushings, might as well add the other stuff (icons, maybe stage 1 cap, etc.). But re-thinking now. I'm officially over-analyzing at this point, lol

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice work @bkfit , I'm jealous. My question is this: Now that Ford has other options to upgrade to the HOSS 3.0 steering, would you just go that route instead? For the Stage 1 and Icons, you're around $1,350 for parts. Ford Performance now has the Severe Duty steering rack upgrade for $1,300 which is essentially the HOSS 3.0 steering rack (not just the upgraded housing, but the upgraded motor/full rack) and Ford performance tie rods. The rack not beautiful 74weld billet aluminum, but it's a heavier-duty rack, a better motor, and upgraded tie rods (I assume the Ford performance tie rods are roughly equivalent to the icons). Downside is there is more to it - you also have to buy the Pro-Cal 4 for programming (there are benefits from that too like performance tune), so an additional required $825. Plus this install job now gets bigger, likely requires Ford to install, etc. Fortunately, there are various choices now....

I have a '22 Badlands w/ 3" lift on 37's, similar to you I think. I already bought the icons, and RC bushings, have not installed them yet. Still debating if adding Icons without a steering upgrade is smart. Adding bushings is no-brainer, just think that if I'm taking off the tie rods to add bushings, might as well add the other stuff (icons, maybe stage 1 cap, etc.). But re-thinking now. I'm officially over-analyzing at this point, lol
That's a good question, I didn't know about Fords SDRU option @ the time. I'm honestly happy with my choice, 74 weld stage 1. However the Hoss 3.0 is 30% more power for larger tires, rocks etc. I'm going to rock the Hoss 2.0 & 74weld stage 1 until I blow it up, Then I shall drop coin for the 74weld stage 3 bomb proof rack.

Gomezstx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm over analyzing. Have a 23 badlands with 35s. It's either stage 1 with new tie rods or just leave it alone with already installed R/C bushings. Carry spare tie rods for cheap and know exactly my weak spot that is easy to fix on the go

Sponsored

Gomezstx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well now I'm less worried about snatching the icon deal. Dorman tie rods are now available and look as good as the icons (better in some regards) for about $199 a set on rockauto. part number TA87445RD. They are even larger in diameter than the ford performance tie rods.

Last edited:

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BFCW!!!

I've got the two foot (24") version of that from Harborious Fright.
When I was paying for it, a guy in the line says 'What'er you gonna do when you break it?"
I said "When I get out of the hospital, I'll bring it back here to get it replaced under warranty."
So far, so good...

AJITO

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just make sure if you go the HOSS3.0 Severe Duty Rack route, you check under the hardened shipping foam for your ProCal code. You will need to upload it to your device using a PC. Then, plug it into your Bronco and get the stock config save to the device. I was able to do this with the new rack installed. Then take it back to the computer, log into Ford Performance through the ProCal update tool, and download the Rack Upgrade file.

I struggled with this whole installation, as the things mentioned above are not covered in any of the videos I have seen. The Stage 1 74 Weld upgrade was also lengthy on the 3.0 rack. Separating the bushings to install on the 74 Weld housing, and removing the polymer washer were all time consuming. Also make sure you have a pair of straight ended snap ring pliers. With the right tools, the 74 Weld Stage 1 is do able in 1-2 hours. Took me 4, but I didn’t have the right tools at the jump.

OP
OP
bkfit

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just make sure if you go the HOSS3.0 Severe Duty Rack route, you check under the hardened shipping foam for your ProCal code. You will need to upload it to your device using a PC. Then, plug it into your Bronco and get the stock config save to the device. I was able to do this with the new rack installed. Then take it back to the computer, log into Ford Performance through the ProCal update tool, and download the Rack Upgrade file.

I struggled with this whole installation, as the things mentioned above are not covered in any of the videos I have seen. The Stage 1 74 Weld upgrade was also lengthy on the 3.0 rack. Separating the bushings to install on the 74 Weld housing, and removing the polymer washer were all time consuming. Also make sure you have a pair of straight ended snap ring pliers. With the right tools, the 74 Weld Stage 1 is do able in 1-2 hours. Took me 4, but I didn’t have the right tools at the jump.
exactly get your gear sorted. Take your time. Enjoy.
Sponsored