First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I've said in other posts... I wish the Bronco had a regular (mechanical) "emergency" brake. Not an electric brake button for parking that you'll never find in an actual emergency situation. What were they thinking??? Space saving???
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it curious that in the “two” incidents being cited here, in neither case did the drivers even attempt to use the e-brake. And then the B6G crowd piles on claiming e-brakes are worthless. I use my e-brake every single time I park my Bronco (I have a 7MT). The e-brake is in an easy reach spot in an emergency and activate as fast as a manually operated brake would.

I personally fail to understand the hate toward e-brakes, and I don’t understand why people refuse to use them.
Because loss of electricity renders electric brake inop...if that is what happened. Also in a panic situation it is easy to grab the hood release instead of the e-brake lever because they are in close proximity to one another (and equally useful in trying to stop the vehicle with no electricity).

TheZsdad

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I find it curious that in the “two” incidents being cited here, in neither case did the drivers even attempt to use the e-brake. And then the B6G crowd piles on claiming e-brakes are worthless. I use my e-brake every single time I park my Bronco (I have a 7MT). The e-brake is in an easy reach spot in an emergency and activate as fast as a manually operated brake would.

I personally fail to understand the hate toward e-brakes, and I don’t understand why people refuse to use them.
Not a Bronco but my wife's 2022 Explorer ST spent the night at a shopping center because the e-brake would not release. Ford could not find a tow company that had a dolly style lift until the next day. They replaced a sensor to fix yikes.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm extremely happy the op, family and others were not harmed in any way. I'm in no way saying this was not real as he experienced it. In emergency situations most are not prepared to handle them calmly and safely. Human nature brings out a panic from within. One has to always be aware of one's surroundings, known as situational awareness. Most people do not drive this way, thinking everything is normal and under control. This cannot be farther from the truth. As I read this many are referencing the Parking Brake as an E Brake, which it is not and is not designed as an E Brake. It's a Parking Brake plain and simple. As for the two systems that were claimed to have failed, both are mechanically and or hydraulically functional. They are electrically assisted, but not in any way 100% electrically controlled. That would be any manufactures nemesis.

During model years 1982–1987, Audi was involved with incidents of sudden unintended acceleration linked to six deaths and 700 accidents. 1989, after three years of studying the blatantly obvious, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued their report on Audi’s “sudden unintended acceleration problem.” NHTA’s findings fully exonerated Audi and some other implicated foreign makes”.

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hate to say this, BUT this has already happened at least twice on this forum before, here's my experience. I have a 2022 Badlands 2 door, 7MT, 2.3L.

M&A, I going to send you a private message as well. This happened to me on Veterans Day this last year. (2 months ago) I was off road, but didn't hit anything, the power cut out, wouldn't restart, I lost brakes as well, I pounded the pedal with everything I had and no brakes, it just rolled backwards down a hill until I hit a tree, could have been worst, similar to yours, but any vehicle that losses brakes is completely unacceptable.

Originally, I was going to have the insurance company repair it, but I noticed a "Powertrain Malfunction" code, so I figured Ford needed to take care of this. It has been there since November 20, without any real answer from them so far. I'm still waiting to see if they will accept any responsbility for this issue. There was also a TSB ( https://m.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Bronco/2022/tsbs/tsb-tsb-23-2182.shtml ) relating to a faulty low charge issue that doesn't allow the vehicle to restart which actually created my issue. There was no power to the brakes and no engine power woud not restore the power to the brakes so I was just along for the ride trying to steer and restart the thing and apply the brakes all the way down. The dealership brought this issue up themselves.

Another guy reached out to me about this because he had a similar situation more like yours. Ford has not really helped him either. Your story makes me want to sell the thing once I get it back. I love my Fords, always have, but vehicles that just decide to suddenly NOT stop is a huge issue. I posted back in November with more details and a video. I will post another update once I find out more information.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hate to say this, BUT this has already happened at least twice on this forum before, here's my experience. I have a 2022 Badlands 2 door, 7MT, 2.3L.

M&A, I going to send you a private message as well. This happened to me on Veterans Day this last year. (2 months ago) I was off road, but didn't hit anything, the power cut out, wouldn't restart, I lost brakes as well, I pounded the pedal with everything I had and no brakes, it just rolled backwards down a hill until I hit a tree, could have been worst, similar to yours, but any vehicle that losses brakes is completely unacceptable.

Originally, I was going to have the insurance company repair it, but I noticed a "Powertrain Malfunction" code, so I figured Ford needed to take care of this. It has been there since November 20, without any real answer from them so far. I'm still waiting to see if they will accept any responsbility for this issue. There was also a TSB ( https://m.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Bronco/2022/tsbs/tsb-tsb-23-2182.shtml ) relating to a faulty low charge issue that doesn't allow the vehicle to restart which actually created my issue. There was no power to the brakes and no engine power woud not restore the power to the brakes so I was just along for the ride trying to steer and restart the thing and apply the brakes all the way down. The dealership brought this issue up themselves.

Another guy reached out to me about this because he had a similar situation more like yours. Ford has not really helped him either. Your story makes me want to sell the thing once I get it back. I love my Fords, always have, but vehicles that just decide to suddenly NOT stop is a huge issue. I posted back in November with more details and a video. I will post another update once I find out more information.
Hey folks! I'm no longer actually a Bronco owner, because I recently sold my beloved Bronco, but I thought I'd chime in with a couple electrical experiences I had that folks might want to be aware of. The first occurred when I was wheeling on the Rubicon and I had one wheel in the air that was spinning at a different RPM than the other three...and immediately thereafter my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I could no longer disconnect the sway bar and my anti-lock brake warning came on and I had to limp back a long distance without being able to use all the whiz bang features that my Bronco had. About 20 minutes after I got on the main road to go back to wherever I was going, the features gradually came back. There were no stored codes, so I was left wondering how long it would be until the next time something similar occurred. Most recently, while the Bronco was on an incline outside my garage door, it was started and then the transmission was put into reverse prior to disengaging the parking brake (I do that so as not to put any pressure on the parking pawl) as soon as it was put into reverse with foot on the brake it just shut off. It then wouldn't start, even after going through several sequences involving returning to park parking brake on walk away from the vehicle lock the vehicle unlock the vehicle etc. After several various sequences, it finally started...again, there were no codes. I really liked my Bronco but it was unnerving to wonder if or when some kind of electrical gremlin that would be beyond my capability of troubleshooting (without having my laptop with me) or being able to address some fault module in the field (without a box of spare modules or sensors) would happen. My hope is that Ford sorts it all out, and I'm not too bummed (because I bought a 2021 and I realize that first year production vehicles are often just extended testing opportunities). Hopefully all your Broncos will not let you down and last for as long as you own them! I will be wheeling with my primitive rig (with 3 pedals and mechanical levers to get me in and out of gears and into low range as well as manually locking hubs to get me some exercise)...hope to meet up with you out on the trails!

Qarlos

Wildtrak
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First thanks that the OP and his family had no injuries. I am chiming in because I until page 7 of 8 I only saw mentions of mashing on the brake pedal. On page 7 @Bmadda mentions pumping them. I'm not up to speed on the details of electrical assist braking. However, on older model cars when power assist failed it is essential that you pump the brake pedal to build up pressure in the master cylinder to have any braking power. Simply pressing the pedal will do nearly nothing. So again this may or may not be relevant for our Broncos, but in a failed power situation I will be pumping the brake pedal, not mashing on it. Happy to be corrected if this doesn't apply to our Broncos' braking system.

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey folks! I'm no longer actually a Bronco owner, because I recently sold my beloved Bronco, but I thought I'd chime in with a couple electrical experiences I had that folks might want to be aware of. The first occurred when I was wheeling on the Rubicon and I had one wheel in the air that was spinning at a different RPM than the other three...and immediately thereafter my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I could no longer disconnect the sway bar and my anti-lock brake warning came on and I had to limp back a long distance without being able to use all the whiz bang features that my Bronco had. About 20 minutes after I got on the main road to go back to wherever I was going, the features gradually came back. There were no stored codes, so I was left wondering how long it would be until the next time something similar occurred. Most recently, while the Bronco was on an incline outside my garage door, it was started and then the transmission was put into reverse prior to disengaging the parking brake (I do that so as not to put any pressure on the parking pawl) as soon as it was put into reverse with foot on the brake it just shut off. It then wouldn't start, even after going through several sequences involving returning to park parking brake on walk away from the vehicle lock the vehicle unlock the vehicle etc. After several various sequences, it finally started...again, there were no codes. I really liked my Bronco but it was unnerving to wonder if or when some kind of electrical gremlin that would be beyond my capability of troubleshooting (without having my laptop with me) or being able to address some fault module in the field (without a box of spare modules or sensors) would happen. My hope is that Ford sorts it all out, and I'm not too bummed (because I bought a 2021 and I realize that first year production vehicles are often just extended testing opportunities). Hopefully all your Broncos will not let you down and last for as long as you own them! I will be wheeling with my primitive rig (with 3 pedals and mechanical levers to get me in and out of gears and into low range as well as manually locking hubs to get me some exercise)...hope to meet up with you out on the trails!
Yeah man, I'm starting to see these things becoming an issue. Mine is a 2022 and a 7 speed manual and I still have had these weird concerns. I may be headed your route as well, as if mine situation wasn't scary enough, this lately story was crazy scary. The other issue is this is clearly a back burner issue for Ford. There was nearly $10,000 of damage done to my vehicle and they have no urgency to even assess it and so far they haven't taken any responsibility. I hope in the end I will be wrong, they fix the damage and the issues that caused it and the other folks issues too, but so far I've just seen the Ford CEO admit they have lots of quality issues and then do nothing about them.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

First thanks that the OP and his family had no injuries. I am chiming in because I until page 7 of 8 I only saw mentions of mashing on the brake pedal. On page 7 @Bmadda mentions pumping them. I'm not up to speed on the details of electrical assist braking. However, on older model cars when power assist failed it is essential that you pump the brake pedal to build up pressure in the master cylinder to have any braking power. Simply pressing the pedal will do nearly nothing. So again this may or may not be relevant for our Broncos, but in a failed power situation I will be pumping the brake pedal, not mashing on it. Happy to be corrected if this doesn't apply to our Broncos' braking system.
This is a good point and I believe it's true based on my "muscle memory". I didn't think about it until reading your comment but that is exactly how I've stopped vehicles that lost their power before. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't be true today. The steering is a different story. I recall having to use nearly my entire body weight on one side of the steering wheel to turn a heavy truck in similar situations. It's not good or safe any way. I know these things happen and probably will always happen as long as a mechanic can be careless and leave a ground cable loose.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hmm. My experiences with older vehicles, particularly vacuum assisted brakes, is that when you lose the engine there's a certain reserve amount of vacuum left inside that chamber to work with. You get two, maybe three power assisted braking operations before the vacuum is gone and you no longer have assist. You can choose to brake quickly and immediately before you lose it, or you can coast for a bit until you find a safer spot, though the longer you wait the less vacuum you have to use as it does bleed off on its own. Pumping the brakes is for when the brake system itself begins to fail, a fluid leak or air in the lines, that sort of thing...in this case pumping them will sometimes give you enough pressure by compressing air into the line. It's far from ideal, but it can get you stopped in an emergency. In aircraft, the master cylinders can bleed down to the point that the first time you hit the toe brakes it just goes to the floor, but a few pumps will bring it back to life, and that's dangerous if you're landing a taildragger and have to rely on those brakes for directional control. One of the last things I do before landing is give the brakes a couple pumps to make sure they get firm and hold pressure before letting off of them. If they don't hold pressure, I know my brakes aren't working and plan accordingly.

If you lose the electric assist on brakes in the Bronco, I don't think pumping the pedal is going to do much of anything, as the brake system itself is fine, you just lost the power assist. Pumping the pedal is to help ameliorate issues arising from a loss of brake fluid. Perhaps there could be some credence to letting off on the brake to reset the master cylinder, but pumping the brakes only gives you tactile feedback for the amount of force you'll need to use to stop the vehicle. I could be wrong on this part, but I'm only saying that as I don't know the internal mechanisms of the Bronco's electric brake system...could there be some sort of ratcheting or compounding device specifically engineered for these brakes to allow easier unassisted braking by pumping the pedal? I don't know for certain, but it sounds doubtful.

I wish I could figure out how to shut my Bronco off at speed to test it out, I tried it the other day at speed and never could kill the engine or accessory power. The dash went dark and reset, but I could tell the engine was still running and accessories had power. I pushed the start button to no avail, I held the button down, I tried pushing it several times rapidly, I put the trans in neutral, pushed the brakes down enough to light up the brake lights, but I simply couldn't get the engine to stop running until the vehicle was stationary in park. If anyone knows how to kill the engine at speed, let me know because I'd like to see what the fuss is all about. I do know that before we got the programming figured out on the 3.0 rack upgrade, bigmeatsbronco was driving his with a disabled/no power assist rack for a short time, and he managed it okay. I've muscled mine around without power assist just to get it pointed the other way around in the carport, and it didn't feel any worse than any other offroad vehicle with 35's.

It makes me wonder if perhaps it wasn't the loss of power assist, but rather the power assist trying to retain a particular home position. The steering system has the capability to turn itself lock to lock without driver input (though it's not in the programming), and the brakes can stop you in a collision alert, so they have some measure of autonomous capability. The programming can also stiffen and stabilize the steering by resisting your own steering input and modulate the brakes, and the brake assist is used to reset the brake pedal position rather forcefully (it's that clunk you hear if you let your foot slide off the brake pedal). Could the system have reverted to a fault where it's trying to maintain the last known position, i.e. steering straight, brake pedal at rear stop? If that's the case, then not only would you have to do everything without power assist, you'd also have to overcome the power assist on top of that. This of course is entirely reliant on the system actually having some measure of electricity to operate, and maybe an intermittent ground would be enough for it to keep trying to reset back to home positions...wheel straight, brakes off. Without any electricity, it's still a manually operable steering rack and brake system that one should theoretically be able to use effectively with enough muscle.

While I was failing to figure out how to kill the engine, I tested out the parking brake at speed. I'm confident in its ability to be used as an emergency brake when standard braking fails. Feels just like using an e-brake in any other vehicle when you really yank on it, or stomp on it, as the case may be, and it provides some decent and acceptable stopping power without any physical exertion necessary...it won't stop you on a dime like ABS would, you're using rear brakes only and the parking brake actuator probably doesn't exert the same force as the primary pistons would (it applies force to the same calipers and pads on the rear brakes, but operates independently from the hydraulic system), but it's enough to lock the rear up on a dirt road like most factory e-brakes. The parking brake actuator is essentially an electrically driven piston in parallel with the hydraulic pistons, an extra piston on the caliper, if you will. When the hydraulic pistons operate, the pads simply move away from the parking brake actuator's piston. When the actuator operates, it pushes the pads away from the hydraulic pistons, so the two systems work the same, just on separate circuits. Continuous use of this wouldn't be ideal as it wasn't meant for that kind of duty cycle, its primary intent is to apply a force on the caliper when stationary but can be used in motion when necessary. Electric actuators function a little different from hydraulic pistons in that there's a motor driving a gear that provides the force, likely using a worm drive so they have the ability to hold pressure without power input. Using the actuator as an e-brake means you're giving the little motor constant power back and forth without letting it relax on the worm gear to cool off, that's where the caveat comes from that you can damage it with frequent use. It'll probably shrug off a one time emergency use to stop you at high speed like it was no sweat at all. You won't burn up tiny little pads like what you'd find on a 4runner's drum brake, it's just a matter of them not sizing the motor for constant and continuous operation.

I do think the location of the lever could be in a better spot, but it's not much of a reach for me personally and I'm not leaning over the steering wheel either. Since it's really just a switch rather than a lever, you could probably tap into those wires and add a remote switch wherever you like, keeping the original operational and in place. Make yourself a neat little handbrake handle on the console that activates microswitches when lifted or pushed back down if you want. Add a big red safety switch on the dash. Or take the actual lever and relocate it close to the start button. Easy stuff, just tap the wires and/or cut some holes if you don't like it where it's at. The big ticket here for true redundancy would be to have an independent battery or capacitor to power the parking brake actuators rather than relying on the vehicle battery. Make a 12V pack from 18650's, have a charging circuit that always keeps it topped off, and tap into the wires that go to the actuators themselves. Run a relay trigger up to the dash or center console and install a safety switch or button that you use ONLY in emergencies, and have it power those actuators when you flip the switch or smash the button. You don't want to interfere with the parking brake circuitry on the Bronco for two reasons, it'll throw codes if you do, and you want to be able to use it as a parking brake in normal circumstances. You certainly don't want to power that emergency braking circuit unless it's an actual emergency, as it can back feed voltage into the modules and potentially fry them, it should be a one time use thing. Maybe someone with an electrical engineering background could figure out how to utilize diodes to prevent that so it could be used whenever you like without that concern, I dunno. Having redundant brakes with a big red button on the dash and a procedure in place for an emergency might have avoided OP's situation entirely. I have no way of knowing what actually happened in that situation or how he addressed the loss of control beyond what was already posted. What I do know is that the systems in place on our Broncos are going to become a lot more prevalent in new vehicles. Electric brakes and steering are superior in all regards and are the future of power assist, so going back to cable operated e-brakes are a step backwards. However, giving people a redundant braking system that even the most feeble old granny can operate in an emergency should be a given at this stage in vehicle design. We don't have the option of adding a cable operated e-brake and it would be a downgrade from the parking brake actuators we have, but I do think it should have a redundant circuit and power supply. Whatever the solution may be, it needs to be drilled into people so they don't panic and forget to use it. Remember the Toyota floor mat recalls that caused vehicles to continue accelerating? The situation could've been prevented by shutting the ignition off, but instead they'd instinctively slam on the brakes while the car went full throttle, and the brakes weren't effective enough to prevent a crash. Putting aside the obvious fix of removing the mats and getting different ones, had there been some training or procedure in place for that situation, it's possible none of them would've happened regardless. Get yourself familiar with your vehicle and how to handle emergencies, it's the exact reason why I spent half an hour trying to kill the engine at speed the other day. Knowing what to expect and using all available resources at your disposal can make all the difference in the world.
Sponsored