Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But something that certainly does matter is if the baseline is done using 87 octane and then the second dyno run is done using 93 octane with the tune. Not really an apples to apples comparison then. Ford performance is doing just that with their packs - showing pretty nice gains but only if you don't also factor in the octane difference before and after the tune.
well if someone is doing that they are intentionally misleading customers as to gains on their tune, which I hope it is safe to assume that neither Lethal or Whipple is doing. Can you source what you are saying about the Ford Performance packs, I had not seen that before. I know they state that you should use 91 octane. I would hope that anyone that is tuning any car much less a turbo is running premium. Regardless all I see is the start of a bunch of crying about blown 10r60s and how Ford wont warranty it...... :)
Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well if someone is doing that they are intentionally misleading customers as to gains on their tune, which I hope it is safe to assume that neither Lethal or Whipple is doing. Can you source what you are saying about the Ford Performance packs, I had not seen that before. I know they state that you should use 91 octane. I would hope that anyone that is tuning any car much less a turbo is running premium. Regardless all I see is the start of a bunch of crying about blown 10r60s and how Ford wont warranty it...... :)
This is performance pack for the Ranger on Ford's website, check the dyno and call outs to 87 vs 93 octane: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB. Still a bit misleading and lost in the weeds when you claim your tune makes a certain increase of HP. I'm gonna guess the Bronco performance pack won't be much different but this is why I'm right away skeptical when I see such a low baseline HP number.

And here's the link to news that the Bronco performance pack is coming soon: https://fordauthority.com/2021/11/ford-bronco-to-gain-horsepower-torque-via-upcoming-power-packs/

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Placed my order on the 9th and received my Whipple tuner today. Can't wait to get it installed.

Sponsored

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Got it plugged and received my Tune from whipple this afternoon. To say this wakes up the 2.7 is an understatement. Shifts are reworked and it holds the gear longer, more power, tire size adjusted, and my double honk when exiting the Bronco is mysteriously gone. Very happy to say the least. Thanks Lethal and Whipple!

Tyler@Lethal

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lightning 2021 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Got it plugged and received my Tune from whipple this afternoon. To say this wakes up the 2.7 is an understatement. Shifts are reworked and it holds the gear longer, more power, tire size adjusted, and my double honk when exiting the Bronco is mysteriously gone. Very happy to say the least. Thanks Lethal and Whipple!
I love reading this! thoroughly happy you are pleased with the Whipple calibration. it's definitely been in my own personal experience that tuning on these 10R's helps tremendously with overall driving. I also myself hate that double honk, it's embarrassing lol Thanks a lot for your business! #TeamLethal

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drove over 100 miles yesterday with the family on mostly paved mountain roads, some freeway driving, and a little bit on county dirt roads. It was at elevations in the 6000-7500 range.

Most of the driving was in Normal mode (with a little bit of Sport mixed in for fun) and the 2.7L handled like a beast. Had to pass a water truck at one point and it was a VERY effortless and quick pass that didn't make me nervous one bit. The 2.7L is very lively as is.

With that said, I am still looking at performance tune options, lol. I'm interested in this Whipple option but will wait to see some results from the first adopters. I also want to see what Ford offers and how it compares.

I don't see it discussed but this has no impact on warranty, right? 50 state legal is one thing but last thing I want to do is nullify the warranty.

Reactions: Cat

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Drove over 100 miles yesterday with the family on mostly paved mountain roads, some freeway driving, and a little bit on county dirt roads. It was at elevations in the 6000-7500 range.

Most of the driving was in Normal mode (with a little bit of Sport mixed in for fun) and the 2.7L handled like a beast. Had to pass a water truck at one point and it was a VERY effortless and quick pass that didn't make me nervous one bit. The 2.7L is very lively as is.

With that said, I am still looking at performance tune options, lol. I'm interested in this Whipple option but will wait to see some results from the first adopters. I also want to see what Ford offers and how it compares.

I don't see it discussed but this has no impact on warranty, right? 50 state legal is one thing but last thing I want to do is nullify the warranty.
Yes. Great question.

Do we need to unplug it when we go in for service? Does it leave a "trace"?

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes. Great question.

Do we need to unplug it when we go in for service? Does it leave a "trace"?
Once the vehicle is flashed the device gets unplugged from the OBDII port and can be stored as it really doesn't need to be plugged in anymore. If you go in for service the new software that Ford uses to read the newer style PCM's will not allow them to flash over the Whipple calibration as it will let them know there is no longer a stock calibration on the vehicle. Over the air updates will act the same as a Ford over the air update will not be able to flash over the Whipple calibration.

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Once the vehicle is flashed the device gets unplugged from the OBDII port and can be stored as it really doesn't need to be plugged in anymore. If you go in for service the new software that Ford uses to read the newer style PCM's will not allow them to flash over the Whipple calibration as it will let them know there is no longer a stock calibration on the vehicle. Over the air updates will act the same as a Ford over the air update will not be able to flash over the Whipple calibration.

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Thanks!
Will that void a warranty if we have an engine performance issue (like some 2.7's are)?

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Will that void a warranty if we have an engine performance issue (like some 2.7's are)?
Typically modifications to your vehicle don't automatically void your warranty. However it's up to the dealer whether or not they will void the warranty if a failure occurs and is related to the parts you put on. That's something you'll want to discuss with your service writer as the dealership.

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Typically modifications to your vehicle don't automatically void your warranty. However it's up to the dealer whether or not they will void the warranty if a failure occurs and is related to the parts you put on. That's something you'll want to discuss with your service writer as the dealership.
So yes it voids the warranty…for now at least until we hear something else…I’ll be watching this thread as this is something I am interested for my Bronco

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So yes it voids the warranty…for now at least until we hear something else…I’ll be watching this thread as this is something I am interested for my Bronco
I didn't say yes or no as that's solely on the dealership you take your vehicle to. Flashing the car simply doesn't "void" a warranty. However I'm not going to say it doesn't in the event that a dealer decides to give someone who has flashed their car a hard time and attempts to deny it.

I've been modifying and racing cars for 17+ years. Not once did I ever have a warranty denied due to tuning it or any other modification we did to the car. We've had transmission failures on 1200+ rwhp cars which have been covered and replaced by our Ford dealer under warranty.

It's not as cut and dry as most people make it out to be.

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh man, yeah I have a friend here with a new Supra who only installed piggy back tuners, destroyed the turbo since it ran lean, and now is getting denied warranty. He removed everything before taking it in to Toyota as well but they were able to tell parameters recorded in the CPU from running the car were out of factory spec. So if anything big where to go, I would speculate most dealers would deny the claim if they have even a smidge of proof that aftermarket tunes, parts, etc were involved. Unless you have a buddy dealership ;)
Sponsored