Sponsored

2022 Electric Transit = 2022 Electric Bronco?

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The range is noted right at the very end.

TFL also did a Gauntlet towing video with the X, in which the Tesla demonstrated the amazing capabilities of electric motors. Unfortunately again they had significant range anxiety. As I recall, they even let the chase vehicle tow the trailer back to the offices.

Now that I think about it, most of their X videos resulted in range anxiety, to the extent that I believe they even tried to charge with a portable inverter generator.
I did see the towing video a while back, if I recall correctly, the towing completely destroyed the range.

The other thing to consider with off-roading and fluctuating speeds is regenerative braking. It doesnā€™t give all your range back but I would think it would help vs high speed highway runs.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm right there with you. I think it would be fine for a day trip, but if you're thinking about anything resembling overlanding, you'd need a hell of a solar setup and a lot of downtime during the day to be able to do what a few jerry cans full of gas can accomplish.

I don't doubt they'd be really capable offroad, though. Who needs transfer cases and locking diffs when each wheel has its own motor? And 42.7" of wading depth? That's awesome. The $69,000 starting price tag for the R1T and the $72,000 starting price for the R1S make them both a hard "no" from me, even if I had the solar setup and/or trust in battery tech to try wheeling one.
I read an article on solar panels that they were estimating could get 15% of daytime charge power at night, it had to be a clear night, but they are working on it. May be a real thing 5 years down the road. Adapt it to camp awnings or roll out panel packs like the military uses and there might be something there. In a few years of course.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did see the towing video a while back, if I recall correctly, the towing completely destroyed the range.

The other thing to consider with off-roading and fluctuating speeds is regenerative braking. It doesnā€™t give all your range back but I would think it would help vs high speed highway runs.
I understand the regeneration, but even there, once off road, I think the efficiency of regenerative braking is significantly diminished. My wife's car is a C-Max, and we love it. We definitely plan to replace it with another HEV or PHEV. However, based on the "scoring" her car provides, you need to feather-in the braking to maximize efficiency. Other than downhill runs, I don't know how well I would "score" off-road. (And I'm sure she won't let me use her car to find out.)

Again, not trying to shoot ideas down. It's just a topic that interests me, and I don't think I've seen anything to convince me of the benefits of an off-road EV... other than being green.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand the regeneration, but even there, once off road, I think the efficiency of regenerative braking is significantly diminished. My wife's car is a C-Max, and we love it. We definitely plan to replace it with another HEV or PHEV. However, based on the "scoring" her car provides, you need to feather-in the braking to maximize efficiency. Other than downhill runs, I don't know how well I would "score" off-road. (And I'm sure she won't let me use her car to find out.)

Again, not trying to shoot ideas down. It's just a topic that interests me, and I don't think I've seen anything to convince me of the benefits of an off-road EV... other than being green.
Iā€™m waiting to see what PHEV Bronco options weā€™re gonna have

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the next few years I'm definitely not interested in any EV for offroad. Maybe when every gas station allows you to fully charge in under 5 minutes and I can take a 5 gallon can of electricity with me....

Sponsored

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I can appreciate what your concerns are and Iā€™m not certain of the answers, just trying to put some ideas out there.
Other than being green, I can think of the ability to have an occasional use vehicle that you donā€™t have to wrench on between 4 wheeling trips. When my family was more into 4 wheeling I was constantly fixing them before and after our trips, of course these were 30 year old vehicles. Another is cheap to operate, if you tow it to the trail or itā€™s close to home you can save a bunch on fuel.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I'll leave it at this...
When off-roading in an electric vehicle, it's probably best to use the buddy system.
And make sure your buddy has a big generator.
Ford Bronco 2022 Electric Transit = 2022 Electric Bronco? OffRoadEV

Sadly, if the BMW i3 had been an REx, it would have had the generator built in. :(

Clint Callahan

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

T A N K T U R N
A
N
K
T
U
R
N
When is saw the first video of the bronco off roading, I couldnā€™t help but notice the slick little dance move it did on the turn About 0:26 in... the first thought I had was

T A N K T U R N
A
N
K
T
U
R
N

!!! Itā€™s got me super excited- mostly because I think this is something more than just locking differentials doing their thing... I have high hopes we are going to be learning more about this whole GOAT system Ford is slowly exposing to us soon. And that may have been something... even if it wasnā€™t even quite a quarter tank turn

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

T A N K T U R N
A
N
K
T
U
R
N

I've never seen this before in a street legal vehicle. Lots of construction equipment (bobcats and dozers ) :ROFLMAO:

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd forgotten all about this thread until someone reacted to a post.
So while I'm back on this topic...
Lordstown Motors Endurance Race Truck Called It Quits After 40 Miles of Bajaā€™s San Felipe 250 (thedrive.com)

I know a similar article was posted on a new thread, but that broke down to a debate between Big Coal, Big Solar, Big Oil, Big Wind,... Personally, other than nuclear, it's all solar energy to me.

Getting back to the topic of this thread... off-road EV's still seem sketchy to me.

I know Jeep is planning Trailhead Chargers, which will likely be fine for early adopters, but when you get to the trailhead and the chargers are in use, do you make the rest of your group wait until you can connect and top off?

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We all know Ford and Rivian have a little partnership going on and one can assume that this is how they planned to provide Amazon with the full electric fleet.... just seeing that this was posted as a ā€œfuture vehicleā€ on the Ford website and the All electric F-150 was not yet could we be seeing the rivian rebranded skateboard underneith this upcoming vehicle? Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but wasnā€™t the Rivian RT1 midsize? (Full size by weight) this skateboard and tech could possibly find its way to Bronco!

I saw the Amazon commercial for the new electric delivery van and I've got to say if they put white Bronco lettering on the grille it could be a new Bronco van in Area 51 LOL

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw the Amazon commercial for the new electric delivery van and I've got to say if they put white Bronco lettering on the grille it could be a new Bronco van in Area 51 LOL
Maybe with a Sasquatch package. Otherwise that breakover angle sucks.
Ford Bronco 2022 Electric Transit = 2022 Electric Bronco? 1619477615358

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drop in a small diesel generator and go everywhere. Whoohoo all of the best 4 wheel drive electric with a diesel, thatā€™s the best of everything in a small package.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No matter how cool or how awesome the techs are in EVs...nothing can replace the smell of dino fuel....just sayin.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No matter how cool or how awesome the techs are in EVs...nothing can replace the smell of dino fuel....just sayin.
I agree, but I prefer to tell people my truck is solar powered by means of a Mesozoic Solar Charged Fluidic Energy Storage System.

I probably should work on that a bit so it has a cool acronym.
Sponsored