Sponsored

2Dr Hardtop --> Bestop Trektop for the Spring/Summer?

First Name
Lindsay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey y'all--

Wanted to know if anyone on here had any experience with popping a soft top onto a 2door.
Purchased the soft top this winter and have been waiting until it warmed up to install.

If you've swapped over to a soft top for the summer did you have any issues going back to the hardtop in the cooler months?
Hoping that it isn't too big of a hassle!
Sponsored

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the trektop on my 2-door. Just going by how the install was it won't be fast to convert back to hard top, you'll have to remove some brackets and there are also some foam strips taped to the roll bars and I'm not sure if those would have to be removed again. It is doable to switch back and forth from hard top to soft top but it won't be quick or easy. If you're looking at changing them out between seasons you could probably get a process down to do it, but I wouldn't plan on changing them out more often than that.

That being said, I sold my hard top once I got the trektop and I never really missed it. Yeah there's more road noise with the soft top but I just consider that part of the fun. It definitely doesn't insulate as well but I'm in Texas so that hasn't been an issue really.

I'm happy with the trektop, I love pulling the windows out on nice days.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I chose to leave my soft top on year round because the installation was kind of a pain. It has handled around 50" of snow so far without issue.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have my soft top on permanently as well. The twill is actually a pretty tough fabric that holds up very well. I just bought an extra set of side panels and a rear window - just for future use - the vinyl windows get a little gnarly after popping them in and out on a regular basis here in FL. $950 for the side windows and back window. My hardtop is sitting like a museum piece in the garage.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I switch the one out on my 4 door for seasons. I found easiest way is the remove the fabric, and remove the bow assembly as complete as possible. Last time was less than an hour.

Sponsored

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put the Trektop on a few weeks ago.

There is a clattering noise when Iā€™m on the highway. Canā€™t pinpoint where itā€™s coming from but itā€™s getting annoying. Sounds like either metal on metal or metal on plastic.

Anyone else experience this?

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put the Trektop on a few weeks ago.

There is a clattering noise when Iā€™m on the highway. Canā€™t pinpoint where itā€™s coming from but itā€™s getting annoying. Sounds like either metal on metal or metal on plastic.

Anyone else experience this?
Yeah mine was chattering on the cross bar just behind the drivers head. There is a plastic rub stip that I had to move up so it is between where the next crossbar rests. You can feel where the bars lay together when the top is closed to see where you should slide the plastic piece.

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah mine was chattering on the cross bar just behind the drivers head. There is a plastic rub stip that I had to move up so it is between where the next crossbar rests. You can feel where the bars lay together when the top is closed to see where you should slide the plastic piece.
Thanks for the response.

Chattering is the best way to describe it and it does sound lIke itā€™s in the middle right behind the drivers head.

Do you mean the padded piece in the middle of the crossbar that has some Velcro on it?

Tough for me to see cause I also have the Bimini installed as well underneath the Softop. Guess the first step is to remove Bimini and see whatā€™s going on cause the chattering is driving me nuts.

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the response.

Chattering is the best way to describe it and it does sound lIke itā€™s in the middle right behind the drivers head.

Do you mean the padded piece in the middle of the crossbar that has some Velcro on it?

Tough for me to see cause I also have the Bimini installed as well underneath the Softop. Guess the first step is to remove Bimini and see whatā€™s going on cause the chattering is driving me nuts.
It's not that part but the short arms that connect to it on the ends. They should have some plastic sleeves (1 on each side) that you just need to push forward/up most likely. I added some glue on the inside of mine so they won't move.

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found it - thin little plastic sleeve on both the metal arms that connect to the crossbar. It slides back & forth when you open & close the Softop. Why wouldnā€™t Bestop secure that before shipping?

When I slide it up to where I think it should be there is a head of a screw there - assuming it goes around the head of the screw? Going to glue or temporarily tape that piece where I think it should stay.

Thank you - was driving me nuts.
Sponsored