First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1963 Ford Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently attended the Off-Roadeo at Moab. I did some off-roading many, many years ago in Missouri, mostly in rail dune buggies and mud buggies, so taking Bronco out onto the slickrock trails was a new experience for me. I came away impressed with Bronco, but more impressed with the Off-Roadeo staff.

Our day was spent on 22 miles of BLM trails, just off Utah 128 north and east of Moab. Jason Smith was our trail guide/coach. Jason was wonderful. He's a natural-born teacher who combines a good sense of humor with a relentlessly positive and encouraging attitude. The folks on our trip ranged from absolute off-roading newbies to members of their local off-roading club. Jason did a great job of relating to everyone on the trip, identifying our skill and comfort level, and then encouraging us to push ourselves outside that comfort zone. He also focused on minimizing impact on the trails and how to share the trail with hikers, bikers, and others in a way that helps make for the best experience for everyone.

It was a blast, and I learned so much about the combination of technologies and skills that are necessary to challenge my Bronco on off road trails. After my trip to Moab, I drove my Bronco (Clifford, the big red Bronco), to Grand Junction for work. While there, I went out in the evenings and tried my hand at Tabagauche Trail, which is just east of town just off Colorado 141. The trail was challenging, and I put my newly learned skills to good use.

I have a Badlands with the manual transmission, so I also took the time to check out the hill descent management function. It's ok but the crawler gear in the low range seems to accomplish the same thing. If you're not in the crawler gear, the descent function holds downhill speed at idle well. I tested mine out on a 24 degree slope and had no issues holding speed.

I also tested out the start in gear function. That was a little more tricky to utilize. On the 24 degree slope, this time going up, I purposely let Clifford stall. A query came up on the dash, asking if I wanted to use the start in gear function. I selected ok, and hit the brake and starter button. Clifford started up and we headed up the slope. The hardest part about using this function is forcing yourself to keep your foot off the clutch. If you hit the clutch, the function is canceled. I think the application for this function will be rare, especially if you're using the crawler gear on the low side of the transfer case, simply because judicious throttle application should make stalling very rare.

In all, I found the Off-Rodeo in Moab to be outstanding and I used what I learned there on other trails on my way back to Pine. Jason Smith was really the star of the show, as his excellent coaching, approachability, and sense of humor truly made the Off-Roadeo a fantastic experience.

I would go back in a minute. Maybe Ford will offer an Off-Roadeo Alumni Program?
Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

have any pics? i did the NH off rodeo a few weeks ago and now i want to do all of them.

Jette

Black Diamond
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am pursuing a similar trip late summer/early fall. Thanks for the feedback and we can't wait!
Sponsored