First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Has anyone attempted the Potts Mountain Jeep trail in VA with their Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, and if so, how did the Bronco handle/not handle this trail? Any experience, pointers, and suggestions are welcome. I am worried about clearance issues and don’t want to get stuck and severely damage my Bronco 🙂.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been to Potts a few times over the years, but haven't been there since I got the Bronco.

While there are side obstacles I wouldn't try in a stock Badlands SAS, there is only one part on the main trail that can be difficult for for a vehicle on 35's I wouldn't think even that should be an issue in your vehicle.

OP
OP
NDM_84

NDM_84

Raptor
First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was there with a friend in his Jeep Rubicon Extreme Recon and it was pretty challenging but def doable; however that extreme recon has 1.3 inches of additional clearance and can flex a bit better than the Bronco. I think it's doable for the Bronco as long as u stay on regular trail without wandering off to more difficult parts but I am def worried about that one drop before the rough terrain begins.
I've been to Potts a few times over the years, but haven't been there since I got the Bronco.

While there are side obstacles I wouldn't try in a stock Badlands SAS, there is only one part on the main trail that can be difficult for for a vehicle on 35's I wouldn't think even that should be an issue in your vehicle.

Last edited:

BisSilent

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was there with a friend in his Jeep Rubicon Extreme Recon and it was pretty challenging but def doable; however that extreme recon has 1.3 inches of additionL clearance and can flex a bit better than the Bronco. I think it's doable as long as u stay on regular trail.wothout wandering odd to more difficult parts but I am def worried about that one drop before the rough terrain begins.
So did you ever try Potts Mt. Jeep Trail?
I live in VA and have been wondering the same thing about trying that trail.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NDM_84

NDM_84

Raptor
First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So did you ever try Potts Mt. Jeep Trail?
I live in VA and have been wondering the same thing about trying that trail.
No sir, I am honestly afraid as I dont want to snap a tie rod or get stuck up there. I am also a novice at all of this so cant judge what the vehicle can and cant do. My opinion is that a Badlands Sasquatch can complete the trail without wandering into the really difficult parts but u may bump and scratch for sure.

OP
OP
NDM_84

NDM_84

Raptor
First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Have you gone to Potts Mountain with your Bronco yet? 🙂

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you gone to Potts Mountain with your Bronco yet? 🙂
I have not, Just haven't been able to fit in a Potts run in quite a few years...

It's too far from home for a Day trip for me (4 hours) and most of my camping runs are to places that are much more difficult, so I don't take the Bronco to those.

I've had the Bronco down to Uwharrie a couple times, and Up to Chaos ORP a few..

OP
OP
NDM_84

NDM_84

Raptor
First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have not, Just haven't been able to fit in a Potts run in quite a few years...

It's too far from home for a Day trip for me (4 hours) and most of my camping runs are to places that are much more difficult, so I don't take the Bronco to those.

I've had the Bronco down to Uwharrie a couple times, and Up to Chaos ORP a few..
Yeah, I understsnd, I try to make all my trips a day trip ans Potts Mountain is about 2.5 -3 hours away from me. Is Uwharrie a 7 rated trail?

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's hard to compare them directly, Potts being more or less single trail with side obstacles and one spot in the middle that can't be bypassed.

That one obstacle, a ledge by a tree in the middle of the trail, is why it has a 7 rating.

Some of the side obstacles at Potts are more difficult than a 7, but they don't count in the overall rating since they aren't a necessary part of the trail to do.

Uwharrie has a number of loop trails with different ratings, the most difficult is Daniel, which my Avatar is a shot of me on. Daniel is Rated 8.

Most of the park is much milder than Daniel, but like Potts there are also play areas along the trails that offer significant challenges.

The clincher for me is that IF it's a camping trip, there is enough to do at Uwharrie to last more than 1 day, when you go to Potts, you're going to run that single trail again each day you camp.

If Potts were just a little closer to me, (I'll do 3 hours one way for a day trip) I'd hit it every year, But if I'm camping and can go 1 hour further, and not get bored on the second day, I'm gonna do that.

The decision is gonna be tougher for you, with Potts being 3 hours, and Uwharrie being a tad over 4..

Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just realized I didn't ever answer the question; Yes, a Badlands Sasquatch can easily do the main trail, and the risk of damage is extremely low.

However I would recommend being careful and have a good spotter for that one obstacle that makes you nervous, especially since you feel you're a novice...

For reference, I've done it in an unlocked TJ on 33s and 2" of lift. I did need a spotter to get over that ledge.

OP
OP
NDM_84

NDM_84

Raptor
First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just realized I didn't ever answer the question; Yes, a Badlands Sasquatch can easily do the main trail, and the risk of damage is extremely low.

However I would recommend being careful and have a good spotter for that one obstacle that makes you nervous, especially since you feel you're a novice...

For reference, I've done it in an unlocked TJ on 33s and 2" of lift. I did need a spotter to get over that ledge.
Man that ledge scsres the hell out of me and even after the ledge they def got some uneven ground with big rocks everywhere and a decent risk of scratching if you dont do it correctly. Even with the Rubicon Extreme Recon Jeep Wrangler with better approach, departure, breakover angles and better clearance at 12.9 inches my firend had some scarry moments for sure. He also rubbed and scrstched a bit at a few different places, I guess it all depends when you go, what line you take etc....

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man that ledge scsres the hell out of me and even after the ledge they def got some uneven ground with big rocks everywhere and a decent risk of scratching if you dont do it correctly. Even with the Rubicon Extreme Recon Jeep Wrangler with better approach, departure, breakover angles and better clearance at 12.9 inches my firend had some scarry moments for sure. He also rubbed and scrstched a bit at a few different places, I guess it all depends when you go, what line you take etc....
I think it's mostly just experience right now, after you go through a few trails, you'll get used to where the edges of your vehicle.are, and learn tire placement on rocks. Stuff like the ledge you might always need spotting, but the rest of the trail you won't. The best thing for you now if you can would be to ride with a group where you can follow a similarly sized vehicle like a JKU, Toyota 4Runner, or another Bronco 4 door. Your can learn a lot that way. There's really no reason you should take damage at a place like Potts following the main trail.

OP
OP
NDM_84

NDM_84

Raptor
First Name
Nedim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think it's mostly just experience right now, after you go through a few trails, you'll get used to where the edges of your vehicle.are, and learn tire placement on rocks. Stuff like the ledge you might always need spotting, but the rest of the trail you won't. The best thing for you now if you can would be to ride with a group where you can follow a similarly sized vehicle like a JKU, Toyota 4Runner, or another Bronco 4 door. Your can learn a lot that way. There's really no reason you should take damage at a place like Potts following the main trail.
Ok, great. I believe it can n be done just a bit scared. Thanks for the reasurance. I will try Flag Pole Knob and Bald Mountain prior to going to Potts Mountain. 🙂

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, great. I believe it can n be done just a bit scared. Thanks for the reasurance. I will try Flag Pole Knob and Bald Mountain prior to going to Potts Mountain. 🙂
We just did Union Springs (up to Flagpole) and Dunkle Hollow (down from Flagpole) a few weeks ago with 8 Broncos. Union Springs is a fun trail with a few pucker places but overall very doable. Dunkle Hollow is easy but fun.
Sponsored