"Bronco Scout" Trademarked by Ford - Baby Bronco or 2021 Bronco Trim?

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

First Name:
    Admin
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    Ford has just filed a trademark for the name "Bronco Scout" and its noted use will be for "land motor vehicles, namely passenger automobiles, pick-up trucks, sport utility vehicles; land motor vehicle parts for passenger automobiles, pickup-trucks, sport utility vehicles, namely, shock absorbers, shock absorbing springs, vehicle anti-roll cars, braces for suspension struts, exterior metal decorative and protective trim, exterior plastic extruded decorative and protective trim, differentials, gear shifts," etc.

The question remains -- will this be used for the Baby Bronco or a variant/trim of the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco?

Ford Trademarks 'Bronco Scout' Nameplate

fordte-660x330.jpg

By now everyone knows the iconic Ford Bronco nameplate is returning, but that may not be the only Bronco nameplate returning to Ford showrooms. The Blue Oval has filed a trademark for the name Bronco Scout, which could find its way to another new SUV.

Ford has made no secret of the fact it is eventually rolling out what is being referred to as the ‘baby Bronco.’ This small unibody SUV will serve as the rugged, off-road indirect replacement for the Ford Escape as the company goes to a two-vehicle strategy in the compact SUV segment.

We’ve already seen a teaser shot of the ‘baby Brono’ (shown above), confirming it will in fact have a design theme very similar to the upcoming Bronco. The similar design and fact Ford showed the vehicle at the same time they showed a teaser of the actual Bronco certainly implies a Bronco nameplate for this SUV is within the realm of possibility.

Regardless of its name, the small SUV will be built atop the same platform utilized by the 2020 Ford Escape and Lincoln Corsair. At last report, it is slated to arrive sometime in 2020, likely as a 2021 model year vehicle.

Leveraging the name “Bronco Scout” nameplate for this new SUV would be an interesting turn of events in terms of automotive history. The International Scout was a competitor to the original Bronco, so “Bronco Scout” itself is not actually a historical name from the Ford archives. Apparently the folks over at International no longer care if the name is utilized since Ford is in the process of trademarking it.

It is worth mentioning that automakers routinely trademark nameplates that are never utilized, which could be the case with “Bronco Scout.” That said, the evidence sure makes a compelling case that the baby Bronco may in fact end up with the “Bronco” name attached.

Wanted33 and Stampede.Offroad like this.
  2. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    Using "Scout" at all is interesting. The three big nameplates in that segment in the early era were the "jeep", Bronco, and the Scout from International Harvester.

I'd have to brush up on my patent/copyright knowledge, but I would suspect that Navistar International, the successor to International Harvester, would have some say in the use of the Scout name on an off road vehicle even in 2020.

3. BroncoMike

BroncoMike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
    I'm guessing they're not "anti-roll cars", but anti-roll bars.

And... it sounds strange that they would seek to apply the name to shocks, springs, strut braces, differentials, and gearshifts. Is this for a "package" option, or is it for a line of OEM performance parts, a la Mopar, TRD, SVO, etc. to be dealer-installed and/or available over-the-counter for owner install? Several of those items are serious installations, and the inclusion of "differentials" hints at something a little more interesting than soccer mom material.

My wild imagination sees it as all of the above - "Scout" as the flagship Jeep Rubicon challenger package/upgrade(s) for the new Bronco, with "Scout" branded items as bolt-ons to allow the rest of the product line to share in some derivitive reputational identity established by the Bronco Scout.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the name. While my memory of International's former offerings is that of a capable machine, I don't associate the brand with performance or sport - "farm implement" is what most readily comes to mind. "Raptor" is already branded and established as the Ford performance level, but perhaps there is a conflict with naming a truck after both a bird/dinosaur and a horse.

4. Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    The long list-o-stuff that the name could apply to is pretty common. It is generally anything that might differentiate that kind of vehicle whether or not the one they were theoretically building would contain them or not.

The only way this makes sense to me is if this was intended for the "Baby". To apply it in any way to the 'big-boy' Bronco would detract from Ford's own heritage as a "master" of the off road -- as if they had to borrow someone else name to be taken seriously. At the same time, it would kind of "throw shade" on the Scout and International Harvester if this name were applied to the crossover based baby-bronco, positioning the Bronco name as superior.

BroncoRevital likes this.
  5. Skifryan

Skifryan Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    Chrysler 300
    Remember there is also a pick-up truck coming based on the Bronco as mentioned at the recent dealer meeting.

6. Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    It's actually based on a car AFAIK ... like a miniature Ranchero/ElCamino. I suppose it could get the name though.

Personally, I prefer the idea of Maverick as the name for the baby.

In any case, if Ford submitted the paperwork, no one else can use it, and that's often the real reason for those filings.

BroncoRevital likes this.
  7. BONESTOCK

BONESTOCK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '94 Lightning w/TKO swap, '04 Procharged Mach 1, '13 F150 RCSB 5.0L, '61 Falcon
    Ford Mustang Cobra

BroncoMike likes this.
  8. BroncoMike

Vehicle(s):
    Touché.

BONESTOCK likes this.
  9. csusza2000

csusza2000 Active Member

First Name:
    Laszlo
    Vehicle(s):
    Subaru Forester
    yeah but Mr. Bean would say, that is a horse and a snake, not a Horsenosaurus :crackup: or worst case Bronco Pegasus or Phoenix (???) if we consider the bird version mentioned earlier above.

But jokes aside, frankly the Bronco Raptor badging sounds a little bit too much for mey ears o_O I would better go for Bronco Scout if the Scout would mean a raptoresque or extreme off-road OEM package. However the simple Bronco model name would also do it for me. But then again maybe it's just me.

BroncoMike likes this.
  10. Wilk

Wilk Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2007 dodge dakota
    They could get crazy with the names too. How about a horse, bird dinosaur name like, the Bronco Falcon Ichthyosaur? Or Bronco Falcon Platypus/Shark/Croc. Some sort of Australian model with a V8 and set up for 60" water fording. :rockon:

BroncoMike and csusza2000 like this.
  11. Husker

Husker Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    Bronco Billy (Goat)...

12. csusza2000

csusza2000 Active Member

First Name:
    Laszlo
    Vehicle(s):
    Subaru Forester
    I don't know if you have heard about the Projekt Grenadier ( https://projektgrenadier.com/ ) it is the project of Jim Ratcliff UK businessman to keep the Defender alive. More details on the website. Anyway they have a page there, asking the future clients to give some ideas about the name of the car. But the few times I checked I saw just the same 6-8 name versions popping up. I know I also wrote something there (and not as a joke), but it was not considered for some reason. :thumbsdown:

But now getting this Bronco Scout name up in my mind again I just got an idea for an exrteme off road Bronco name version - what about Bronco Nomad ? However I am sure Ford is not going to come up with this. So if and when I am going to buy the Bronco I shall put a decal on it with the word Nomad :D

13. BroncoMike

Vehicle(s):
    With "LASERS".

Wilk likes this.
  14. BONESTOCK

BONESTOCK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '94 Lightning w/TKO swap, '04 Procharged Mach 1, '13 F150 RCSB 5.0L, '61 Falcon
    Ford Bronco Buster?!

15. Husker

Husker Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    I found this Nomad while Pheasant hunting a few years ago & was able to purchase it from the Farmer who had it in his field. I'm pretty sure Chevy (GM) has the NOMAD name locked up. IMG_E1654.JPG

IMG_E0177.JPG