Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On my list of things to buy 👍🏻
Anybody that has sticker stock on that price has never looked into adjustable suspension components. LCA for my older WRX STI were $1000.
Comparing coal to diamonds here but full front set left and right cv axles, inner, and outer tie rods from moog on my 3rd gen 4runner was $420 total (winter 2019). Just the outer tie rods were $40 a piece.
You get what you pay for. I'd expect a thousand dollar set of tie rods to last longer than the rest of the vehicle. Two of these is 5% msrp of an entire bronco
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Comparing coal to diamonds here but full front set left and right cv axles, inner, and outer tie rods from moog on my 3rd gen 4runner was $420 total (winter 2019). Just the outer tie rods were $40 a piece.
You get what you pay for. I'd expect a thousand dollar set of tie rods to last longer than the rest of the vehicle. Two of these is 5% msrp of an entire bronco
They made the 3rd Gen for 6 years plus it shared a lot with the Tacoma. I bet they sold more in me year than all the 6 Gen Broncos so far.

Those parts should have been cheaper.

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know the local shop here in Chandler (Phoenix) installs these fabtech heim options all the time... and given I overlook my apprehension on forcing the weak-point up into the steering rack, I too was considering these.

the new Icon offering at less than $400 looks very attractive.
Wasn't there another company that just came out with 19mm tie rods this week for $350 a set?
I saw these in here and you guys piqued my interest... found the thread for reference. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...xtreme-duty-forged-tie-rods-for-bronco.56420/

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Amateur hour:

What is the benefit of an aftermarket tie rod?

Is it to add performance compared to the stock tie rod? Or most so to make up for deficiencies with the stock tie rod?
Lots of companies cashing in on the initial excitement of the Bronco model. Everything overpriced due to demand by early model adoptees.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They made the 3rd Gen for 6 years plus it shared a lot with the Tacoma. I bet they sold more in me year than all the 6 Gen Broncos so far.

Those parts should have been cheaper.
Yeah, those parts have been continued to be made for 20+years. And plenty of options too. The few oem replacements I have bought (LBJs) were brand new. Certainly didn't have trouble finding parts for it. If these are worth +$1089 or whatever was listed (link goes to dead page now) , I wish I had a set sitting under the backseat for when the originals bust on the trail. Even the icons, 1mm thinner than these, at $350 a set, is a hefty price for one steering component pair. And yes I know there are suspension setups out there worth more than my house. I'd need to see some more real world reviews over the years before adding these to my fantasy bookmarks. In between Private islands and 80' sailing Yachts.

Sponsored

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Cool product. It's just a shame that we live in a world where we have to pay 900 bucks to have tie rods that don't break doing simple driving. It's like this with all things automotive these days though. A bumper cover for my mustang that cost 600 2 years ago is 1200 today. Very cool product though. I hope we can get prices to stabilize soon though. I'm not cheap btw. I wouldn't own one of these broncos if I was 😜
simple driving? thats definitely not correct. Simple driving and you would NEVER have an issue!!!

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my admittedly limited experience, Heim Joints / Spherical Rod Ends tend to be VERY noisy over time. (think loud "clicking and clacking" noises when turning).

This may be fine on a track only race car or purpose built off road buggy, but not something most folks would be willing to put up with on their daily driver.

Any comment on this concern with these?
I've run heim steering on 66-77 broncos for years, both on occasional drivers and more dedicated crawlers and have never heard a single noise out them.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

simple driving? thats definitely not correct. Simple driving and you would NEVER have an issue!!!
One member on here had his snap just turning in his driveway.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Heim ends installed on a vehicle makes it off-road only for me. they just are not reliable enough to use on something driven on the street. I.e.they just require too much maintenance.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heim ends installed on a vehicle makes it off-road only for me. they just are not reliable enough to use on something driven on the street. I.e.they just require too much maintenance.
And what kind of maintenance are you referring to?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
And what kind of maintenance are you referring to?
You have to keep them clean and unless Teflon is lined that can be more of a challenge.
Unlike a ball joint with a tapered shaft, the retention of the Heim joint is with a straight bolt, and forces imparted on the bolt can back it out so it needs to be inspected reguarly.
Sized similarly to a ball joint, they are weaker, which is why most you see used are much larger than a ball joint that could be used in that application.
Many are rebuildable which is a plus.
For me to be willing to deal with that it would have to be when my bronco becomes a weekend or special event-only vehicle.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to keep them clean and unless Teflon is lined that can be more of a challenge.
Unlike a ball joint with a tapered shaft, the retention of the Heim joint is with a straight bolt, and forces imparted on the bolt can back it out so it needs to be inspected reguarly.
Sized similarly to a ball joint, they are weaker, which is why most you see used are much larger than a ball joint that could be used in that application.
Many are rebuildable which is a plus.
For me to be willing to deal with that it would have to be when my bronco becomes a weekend or special event-only vehicle.
I assumed you didn’t look at the Fabtech offering as you see they are Teflon but not rebuildable.
Sponsored