Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevrolet Impala
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
****Update: 6/21/22
The wife is great. She surprised me with the rubber floor mats and cargo mat from Ford as a Father's Day gift. Running with the standard carpet floor mats was giving me anxiety, as I want to keep this ride as nice as possible. Car seat covers are next on the list. (I do have a birthday coming up...LOL)

Ford Bronco Chlorine spill. Yikes! 1655822478490
Ford Bronco Chlorine spill. Yikes! 1655822605834

So, I ordered groceries online yesterday while driving back from Memorial Day weekend. (Don't worry...the wife placed the order while I drove.)
So, anyway, we stopped at the grocery store later in the day, and the young lady who brought out our order put the groceries in the back of the Bronco. Long story short...we had ordered a case of Chlorine, because we opened our pool this weekend and were cleaning it after returning on Monday. When we unloaded the Bronco...the chlorine had been loaded on its side, and one of the bottles was leaking. Some of the cardboard box dissolved and there was a nice large area with pasty white cardboard/mush and chlorine in the back of the Bronco. I immediately went and got a bucket to clean it up...expecting a huge bleached area to appear in the black carpet in the rear.
Cleaned up the mess....and the color of the carpet did not bleach or even fade one bit. Well done, Ford! I was extremely surprised that the color held. A few drips of the chlorine made it to my shirt, and large discolored areas appeared almost instantly....so you know that chlorine is potent.

Also of note...we drove 3 hours each way to/from our destination, and the Bronco loved the highway! It rode great, was very comfortable, and averaged 20MPG on regular unleaded. (I never knew that I needed adaptive cruise control until I used it. I won't go without it in the future.)
This Bronco is quickly becoming the best vehicle that I have owned.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, I ordered groceries online yesterday while driving back from Memorial Day weekend. (Don't worry...the wife placed the order while I drove.)
So, anyway, we stopped at the grocery store later in the day, and the young lady who brought out our order put the groceries in the back of the Bronco. Long story short...we had ordered a case of Chlorine, because we opened our pool this weekend and were cleaning it after returning on Monday. When we unloaded the Bronco...the chlorine had been loaded on its side, and one of the bottles was leaking. Some of the cardboard box dissolved and there was a nice large area with pasty white cardboard/mush and chlorine in the back of the Bronco. I immediately went and got a bucket to clean it up...expecting a huge bleached area to appear in the black carpet in the rear.
Cleaned up the mess....and the color of the carpet did not bleach or even fade one bit. Well done, Ford! I was extremely surprised that the color held. A few drips of the chlorine made it to my shirt, and large discolored areas appeared almost instantly....so you know that chlorine is potent.

Also of note...we drove 3 hours each way to/from our destination, and the Bronco loved the highway! It rode great, was very comfortable, and averaged 20MPG on regular unleaded. (I never knew that I needed adaptive cruise control until I used it. I won't go without it in the future.)
This Bronco is quickly becoming the best vehicle that I have owned.
This post makes me miss my pool 🏊‍♂️

New house doesn’t have one blah.

Doesn’t have a bronco either haha

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Glad to hear you new rig didn't get a nasty Chlorine stain from the spill!

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The cargo liner Gods are talking to you!!!! Pick one up from Mabett, WeatherTech etc.!! Worth the investment.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I recently learned during the pandemic that chlorine is much stronger than bleach. Like 15 times more potent. Glad to hear that the rig can withstand the chlorine. My eyes would've been watering if something that strong was leaking inside my car, but I'm not near a swimming pool ever these days.

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

May be a stupid question, but how is that even possible? Chlorine doesn't bleach the carpet?

I thought I had a rough weekend spilling a 40oz drink in the passenger side floorboard. Thank god for washout floors. My carpet would already be ruined front & back from the amount of spills my kids have had.

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good to know. As I own and maintain a commercial pool, though my first purchase was rear rubber mats for my first Bronco. Swapped it over to the second one.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lesson learned take the pick up when transporting messy/dangerous stuff.
Neighbor took their brand new Volvo with used oil to the re cycle guess what happened.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently learned during the pandemic that chlorine is much stronger than bleach. Like 15 times more potent. Glad to hear that the rig can withstand the chlorine. My eyes would've been watering if something that strong was leaking inside my car, but I'm not near a swimming pool ever these days.
I'm going down the rabbit hole here, but let's complete that learn'n!

"Chlorine" is the part of bleach that does the "work" via oxidation, a violent chemical process that sanitizes by destroying organic materials (viruses, fungus, bacteria, pigments, fibers, etc). The "pool" smell is actually combined chlorine, and ironically enough means there's not enough free Cl present to oxidize the stuff in the pool, you actually need to add more. :)

From the inter webs:
What is bleach?

Household bleach is actually a mixture of chemicals, Its main constituent is a solution of ~3-6% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), which is mixed with small amounts of sodium hydroxide, hydrogen peroxide, and calcium hypochlorite. Its main use is to remove colour, whiten or disinfect clothing or surfaces, and is invaluable in most modern kitchens and bathrooms.

TLDR; Glad your Bronco is OK OP, and Mike you can dominate trivia night at your local pub now.

Ford Bronco Chlorine spill. Yikes! 1654017631173

OP
OP
Thunderpriest

Thunderpriest

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevrolet Impala
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
May be a stupid question, but how is that even possible? Chlorine doesn't bleach the carpet?

I thought I had a rough weekend spilling a 40oz drink in the passenger side floorboard. Thank god for washout floors. My carpet would already be ruined front & back from the amount of spills my kids have had.
I was shocked that it didn't bleach the carpet.
Here is a pic of the carpet today....and the box that the 4, 1 gallon bottles of chlorine were in....

20220531_170052.jpg

20220531_165937.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Thunderpriest

Thunderpriest

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevrolet Impala
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The cargo liner Gods are talking to you!!!! Pick one up from Mabett, WeatherTech etc.!! Worth the investment.
I am definitely in the market for a cargo mat, floor mats & seat covers. I have had the Bronco less than 2 months...so all of that will be coming shortly.

OP
OP
Thunderpriest

Thunderpriest

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevrolet Impala
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife and I had been working on the pool most of the day, so when we smelled the chlorine in the car, we just thought it was us. The smell is still very evident in the car.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently learned during the pandemic that chlorine is much stronger than bleach. Like 15 times more potent.
Makes ya wonder why they even sell bleach huh? I haven’t bought bleach in 10 years. I just buy chlorine. Lasts forever.

Fathom

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen II Ford Raptor, '22 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife and I had been working on the pool most of the day, so when we smelled the chlorine in the car, we just thought it was us. The smell is still very evident in the car.
Sodium Thiosulfate (available at pool stores) might neutralize what is left of the chlorine but I wouldn't use anything on it until I tested a small remote spot on the carpet.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I bet it would have discolored the washout floors.
Sponsored