First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok, I promise I have exhausted the threads as much as possible but I wanted to post just in case I’m mistaken.

I have a 4dr non-sas big bend with stock 255/75/17 duelers that absolutely need to go.

I have the stock rims, but I also have the black diamond Steelies ready to go.

I’m mostly interested in the best way that I can stagger upgrades to avoid causing too much angst with my better half. So, I’m curious if others can really confirm the following that I’ve concluded from other threads

1) 285/75/17 actually fit just fine with crash bars removed (it’s still not completely clear to me if there will be rubbing). I’m mainly a daily driver on the pavement, limited off road type

2) assuming 1 is not true, will a 1” level be enough or will I need to do a 2” lift

3) assuming 1 is not true, will getting aftermarket wheels with something more like. 30mm offset (think RTR tech 6) work with a 285/75/17 and no lift options

Basically I’m trying my best to maximize tire size without requiring a lift, but also not going so small that a lift in the future would look silly. So my thinking is a 34” ish tire that will fit with or without a lift. Some of my confusion is also because discount tire claims that 285/75 fits, but in store the claimed otherwise.

Thanks for all the help with my analysis paralysis!
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

285/70/17 (stock badlands tires and rims on my non lifted OBX) same suspension as you have. Fit fine without crash bars removed. No rubbing no lift . Same +55 offset I believe as your rims.
Ford Bronco Clarity on Big Bend non-sas tire options 2508A017-8441-4503-98AB-372D49ED32EC

OP
OP

drewburns998

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
285/70/17 (stock badlands tires and rims on my non lifted OBX) same suspension as you have. Fit fine without crash bars removed. No rubbing no lift . Same +55 offset I believe as your rims.
Ford Bronco Clarity on Big Bend non-sas tire options 2508A017-8441-4503-98AB-372D49ED32EC
Thanks and great shot btw! My plan is to go the route you did with the 285/70/17 if there’s still uncertainty around the 285/75/17.

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve posted this video a few times. Watch this. VERY VERY helpful to understanding what will work. Once you take the crash bars off, you can fit a lot!

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks and great shot btw! My plan is to go the route you did with the 285/70/17 if there’s still uncertainty around the 285/75/17.
Btw I know you said you already had steelies but I got the set of 5 wheels tires tpms for less than I could buy 5 tires and have them
Mounted and balanced.

Sponsored
OP
OP

drewburns998

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Clarity on Big Bend non-sas tire options C59CF727-D581-4633-A1F4-747ECD710A5F

Just a thought; I went for the lift and tires…saved on wheels until I find some that fit mine well imo. Here’s the tire size I went with.

C59CF727-D581-4633-A1F4-747ECD710A5F.jpeg
Looks great! I was under the impression that putting 35s on the 7.5” wide stock wheels could be a problem. Maybe I am mistaken?

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks great! I was under the impression that putting 35s on the 7.5” wide stock wheels could be a problem. Maybe I am mistaken?
no problems at all. In fact I’ve left the crash bars on (for now) and it’s still going well.

Last edited:

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok, I promise I have exhausted the threads as much as possible but I wanted to post just in case I’m mistaken.

I have a 4dr non-sas big bend with stock 255/75/17 duelers that absolutely need to go.

I have the stock rims, but I also have the black diamond Steelies ready to go.

I’m mostly interested in the best way that I can stagger upgrades to avoid causing too much angst with my better half. So, I’m curious if others can really confirm the following that I’ve concluded from other threads

1) 285/75/17 actually fit just fine with crash bars removed (it’s still not completely clear to me if there will be rubbing). I’m mainly a daily driver on the pavement, limited off road type

2) assuming 1 is not true, will a 1” level be enough or will I need to do a 2” lift

3) assuming 1 is not true, will getting aftermarket wheels with something more like. 30mm offset (think RTR tech 6) work with a 285/75/17 and no lift options

Basically I’m trying my best to maximize tire size without requiring a lift, but also not going so small that a lift in the future would look silly. So my thinking is a 34” ish tire that will fit with or without a lift. Some of my confusion is also because discount tire claims that 285/75 fits, but in store the claimed otherwise.

Thanks for all the help with my analysis paralysis!
Kind of glad this was brought up again. With that, I will definitely be going for 285/70/17s and ditching the BB tires at the end of the year.

Heard E-rated tires might be too loud and too rough of a ride?

OP
OP

drewburns998

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Kind of glad this was brought up again. With that, I will definitely be going for 285/70/17s and ditching the BB tires at the end of the year.

Heard E-rated tires might be too loud and too rough of a ride?
That’s the other layer to this. If I go 285/75/17 there are fewer choices and I’ll likely get a C rated Toyo. 285/70s give a few more options in SL which is appealing. Just trying to narrow down the choices and try to avoid building myself into a corner

Sponsored

mgp1

Everglades
First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
That’s the other layer to this. If I go 285/75/17 there are fewer choices and I’ll likely get a C rated Toyo. 285/70s give a few more options in SL which is appealing. Just trying to narrow down the choices and try to avoid building myself into a corner
I have Toyo AT3 on my big bend stock wheels - 35x12.50r17. I left the crash bars intact and also have a 2" Zone Offroad lift. There is only MILD scrubbage if I turn the wheel full lock pulling into my garage which is on a small slant. Otherwise, no issue. You can see my profile pic for reference/appearance.

OP
OP

drewburns998

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just wanted to circle back on this - I ended up going with the following:

Wheels - BD Steelies Take Offs
Tires - Cooper DISCOVERER RUGGED TREK 285 /70R17 "116T"

The tires should be arriving soon and I'll post some pictures shortly after.

After thinking it through, and how I used the vehicle, it made more sense to keep the weight down. Also, it became very clear to me that the aggressive tread was a bigger appeal to me than the raw size of the tires (for now at least hah). So, I kept it simple and went with just tires. I figure that whenever I run through these I can reconsider upsizing/leveling/lift options.

One note: One reason I went this route is that Cooper just introduced the 116T version of the rugged trek tire (probably shows as "coming soon" at Discount Tire). I was originally going to go Wildpeaks, but I figured I'd give this hybrid tire a shot now that it's available.
Sponsored