First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 Door Outer Banks 2.7L Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seeing the differences. As it turns out , my harness is probably longer than factory which increases resistance and lowers wattage output and amperage. I can shorten it a few feet and will do so when I move to a Bussman waterproof fuse panel.

Comparison of Harness

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wago connectors are NOT automotive connectors. Please do not use those for 12V electronics. Those are for high voltage interior use only. Not auto (exterior) use, nor for 12V...

Line voltage equipmemt should not be used in the 12v world (connectors, etc...)

I know you are using them for testing but I see so many people wiring their vehicles the wrong way. If you don't know what you are doing please have a professional wire things. This is just a general statement. I can't tell you how many times we see people coming in the shop with wires that are not protected (no sheating, no fuses, etc...).

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wago connectors are NOT automotive connectors. Please do not use those for 12V electronics. Those are for high voltage interior use only. Not auto (exterior) use, nor for 12V...

I know you are using them for testing but I see so many people wiring their vehicles the wrong way. If you don't know what you are doing please have a professional wire things. This is just a general statement. I can't tell you how many times we see people coming in the shop with wires that are not protected (no sheating, no fuses, etc...).
As you stated , I'm using them for testing. They are very over qualified for any circuit I would test on this truck. That being said , I believe the care and effort I put in to try and be as safe as possible for an exterior application on a vehicle , has been shown. For INTERIOR use on low amperage circuits , even on a 12 volt circuit , they are fine. I fuse everything to just over its rated amp draw , I run larger than needed wire for the load of draw I'm creating. I'm about as safe as it comes for circuit building and a final use product . Every EXTERIOR connection is soldered , heat shrunk , wrapped in mesh and tested thoroughly for final use without the use of open wago connectors. As far as Wago being not used in automotive. Being you are associated with 4x4 truck LEDS which does 12 volt systems I assume with LEDS on vehicles?. I would think by now , the memo should have been handed to you. However , I'll just pass it to you again.

Wago in Automotive
12 volt planet selling Wago connectors .....Go figure right?

While I know you are just spewing out something you heard in the shop one day from an old timer. Oh and sure , any connector if its use improperly , in the wrong hands, is dangerous, as you have many of them that frequent your shop, apparently. You will not find one used dangerously in my hands. That I can assure you. Have a wonderful day.

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh and if you need to see proof on reliability for low voltage high amperage loads , then watch this.

Testing Wago

Mikedanalexa1

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

wagos are good for ALL VOLTAGES to 600 v, you can use them on any 12v systems

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

wagos are good for ALL VOLTAGES to 600 v, you can use them on any 12v systems
You cannot use Wagos in 12v applications. They are not weather resistant. They are for dry locations only.

Automotibles are considered wet environments because of everything going on in the engine. They also vibrate which is why you need to use a secure connection that has no mechanical fastening system. It's why you never ever see 12V shops or auto manufacturers using Wagos.

I get they are easy to work with, so are wire nuts. But there are correct and incorrect applications for them.

Again fine for quick testing but they should not be used in actual installations on a vehicle.

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You cannot use Wagos in 12v applications. They are not weather resistant. They are for dry locations only.

Automotibles are considered wet environments because of everything going on in the engine. They also vibrate which is why you need to use a secure connection that has no mechanical fastening system. It's why you never ever see 12V shops or auto manufacturers using Wagos.

I get they are easy to work with, so are wire nuts. But there are correct and incorrect applications for them.

Again fine for quick testing but they should not be used in actual installations on a vehicle.
I'm sorry but you are partially wrong and partially right. While I never use them in exterior applications because as you said , they are not water resistant. You are wrong about them being used in automotive. The interior on a vehicle is not considered a wet environment. I do not know what kind of vehicles you drive but everything I have is dry as a bone inside the cab and as far as manufacturers go , I do not believe anyone at this point in time has made a car with materials in the cab and connections in the cab being water resistant. Even your fuse box under the hood of your vehicle, on the exterior, is not waterproof. Water resistant yes , Waterproof No. Oh and btw , a spring loaded crimp design is more secure than a pressure fit design , that I can tell you. You know what has a pressure fit design? Like every fuse in a fuse box under the hood of every single car in America right now. Mini and micro Fuses are pressure fit.

Wago connectors are currently used in a lot of applications inside cars today. The same principal of a crimp spring loaded design is probably somewhere inside the cab of the vehicle you are using right now. If you would look at the website I linked , you would see that. I get it though , not willing to change or even be open minded , that is fine.

The wago connectors themselves , the ones I have used, on the interior are fastened down with heavy duty velcro , and they do not vibrate at all. I assume the problem you have is that they vibrate because whoever has installed them does not realize they have to be secured and moreover , they have mounting holes on some brands of them to facilitate just that sort of application. There is a right way to do things and a wrong in any situation. In a perfect world all connections would be soldered , heat shrunk and very tidy. However in certain applications , these wago connectors are needed to allow you to shift circuits around , to load balance and various other reasons. They are very durable , up to 600 volt , they are very capable to loads up to 32 AMPs, most of them. In the industry you are currently labeled in , 4x4 LEDs, they are very flexible IF and I say a BIG IF , you know how to use them and mount them securely. As a general rule of thumb , if you do not know what you are doing , please have a professional wire things. Have a wonderful afternoon.
Sponsored