Sponsored

Cutting frame to tuck aftermarket winch bumper and get some approach angle?

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone considered cutting a few inches off the front of the frame to tuck an aftermarket winch bumper in a bit more to get some approach angle back? Currently have the BAMF winch bumper and it looks like cutting the frame and adding new mounting plates could tuck it in a bit more. Just wondering if itā€™d be worth the effort or not.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone considered cutting a few inches off the front of the frame to tuck an aftermarket winch bumper in a bit more to get some approach angle back? Currently have the BAMF winch bumper and it looks like cutting the frame and adding new mounting plates could tuck it in a bit more. Just wondering if itā€™d be worth the effort or not.
Definitely not. Yikes that cod have some problems in the future

cjindna

Base
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door 2.3l 10spd
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looked at it, all of my prior Jeeps were chopped. There is simply a ton of crap (necessary crap) on the front end of the Bronco with nowhere else to move it. You could probably gain a couple of inches if you are willing to cut into the grille as well but I decided itā€™s not worth the effort.

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looked at it, all of my prior Jeeps were chopped. There is simply a ton of crap (necessary crap) on the front end of the Bronco with nowhere else to move it. You could probably gain a couple of inches if you are willing to cut into the grille as well but I decided itā€™s not worth the effort.
Just looking at my setup with the bamf bumper the grill and trim piece wonā€™t be in the way. Might have to trim a little bit of some plastic behind the bumper. And the acc sender has already been relocated and the bottom shutter is removed already. So as far as I could tell with this bumper thereā€™s nothing in the area to worry about minus being closer to the inter cooler. Not sure if there is something else in that area Iā€™m not noticing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing to trim. The intercooler is right there.

A bunch of effort to gain 2ā€? Nah.
Already have to take the bumper apart anyhow to figure out whatā€™s bent on it currently.
Ford Bronco Cutting frame to tuck aftermarket winch bumper and  get some approach angle? image

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just give it more skinny pedal on approach.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wondering if just the bumper is bent or the frame horns...
Looking at it with how it sits currently it looks like the brackets on the frame bent but wonā€™t know for sure until I remove it tomorrow.

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really considered cutting the grille and seeing if a frame chop would help but at the end of the day like others have said there is to much upfront to really gain much.

I built my bumper to keep the winch high and close to the grille while keeping the rest of the bumper tucked super close to the body and frame.

Ford Bronco Cutting frame to tuck aftermarket winch bumper and  get some approach angle? 1660877025138

Ford Bronco Cutting frame to tuck aftermarket winch bumper and  get some approach angle? 1660877087050

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I ended up just cutting the bumper brackets and straightening them back out and moving them inward about 4ā€. Pretty happy with how it went and it tucked the bumper in a decent amount in my opinion.

15B14E68-92DA-4541-A7C5-CB1E4408A131.jpeg

B173E2AB-074F-4B54-818E-AB03032899E6.jpeg

355552D6-DE74-43DB-81EE-8FC38375CDD5.jpeg

5CCF413E-4941-4DEF-B76A-2CEC34436A81.jpeg

cjindna

Base
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door 2.3l 10spd
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not having seen that particular bumper in person, it sounds like quite a bit was left on the table.

Aside from mounting flange changes on the bumper, did you make any changes Ford side to accommodate?
Sponsored