Sponsored

Dead Battery: How likely? Best Solution?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow. Still running the factory battery in my '12 Sierra. No Onstar, so no constant drain...
I have two 2015 ford's with original batteries here in PA.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t have one and never tried one... so I can’t attest to anything about it, but I’ve been considering the Hulkman 8.5 booster.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm starting to plan my off-roading recovery kit, and wondering if a dead battery is something I need to factor in?

I've not gone off-roading in many years... and in the last 20 years, I've never had a battery drain issue as all my recent vehicles have auto headlights and shut down all electrical systems after about 15 minutes so there's no parasitic drain. Basically, a dead battery is a thing of the past as far as I can see.

Is a dead battery a thing of the past, even for off-roading?

What do you carry for battery boosting? Nothing? Jumper cables? A battery booster pack?

Note I'm not needing to power a fridge or camping gear, I'm just planning on wheeling day trips.
I carry jumper cables and one of these lithium batteries. https://themicrostart.com/xp-10/

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I carry this as primary on long trips, but i also carry jumper cables as a back up.

BEATIT B10PRO QDSP 800A Peak 12V Portable Car Lithium Jump Starter (up to 7.2L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine) Battery Booster Phone Charger Power Pack with Intelligent Jumper Cables https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9R5W8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WK7KG5R3QTPFFVQ3XSM1

Compact to fit in glove compartment. Also can charge your electronic devices.

Sponsored

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a '18 Jeep JL that had a dead battery after two years. Heat and cold temps have an affect on battery life. The tech in these newer vehicles can have an issue and cause a battery drain. Suggest off roading with another vehicle, carry jumper cables and there are small form factor battery boosters that you purchase can carry as part of your travel kit.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m getting too old for this. Get the manual and have your wife and kid push while you pop the clutch. Haha. Memories.
We have a winner!

I always carry cables, but one other reason I drive a stick is you can push start it.

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was doing some off road exploring in Death Valley a few years ago, everything was just fine. On this trip I didn't see anyone else for 12 hours. Drove back to the camp site, shut the truck down for the night (turned everything off). The next morning super dead battery, I guest something inside the battery broke off and caused a short. I got lucky and had cables and got a jump start, the only problem then was the truck wouldn't run with out the 2nd battery connected. Lucky I was able to get AAA to come out with a new battery. Carry jumper cables or a jump pack.
Sponsored