Sponsored

Dead Battery: How likely? Best Solution?

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm starting to plan my off-roading recovery kit, and wondering if a dead battery is something I need to factor in?

I've not gone off-roading in many years... and in the last 20 years, I've never had a battery drain issue as all my recent vehicles have auto headlights and shut down all electrical systems after about 15 minutes so there's no parasitic drain. Basically, a dead battery is a thing of the past as far as I can see.

Is a dead battery a thing of the past, even for off-roading?

What do you carry for battery boosting? Nothing? Jumper cables? A battery booster pack?

Note I'm not needing to power a fridge or camping gear, I'm just planning on wheeling day trips.
Sponsored

WillisC’onnors

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm starting to plan my off-roading recovery kit, and wondering if a dead battery is something I need to factor in?

I've not gone off-roading in many years... and in the last 20 years, I've never had a battery drain issue as all my recent vehicles have auto headlights and shut down all electrical systems after about 15 minutes so there's no parasitic drain. Basically, a dead battery is a thing of the past as far as I can see.

Is a dead battery a thing of the past, even for off-roading?

What do you carry for battery boosting? Nothing? Jumper cables? A battery booster pack?

Note I'm not needing to power a fridge or camping gear, I'm just planning on wheeling day trips.
I always keep jumpers, I would recommend having a good set wheelin or not. I'd like to hear what others have to say, I have never worried about it and you really shouldn't* wheel alone.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s a total crapshoot. My father replaced a battery from 2014 in his explorer last year. I put a battery in my Jeep 10 months ago and it crapped out yesterday.

Grab a battery jumper off Amazon for $50 and never worry again. Just make sure to put a calendar reminder to top it off every few months.

WillisC’onnors

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You could always make it a part of your pre check routine before heading out. Doesn't eliminate all variables but it's something?

Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m getting too old for this. Get the manual and have your wife and kid push while you pop the clutch. Haha. Memories.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here in Phoenix we have to replace our batteries every 12-24mos. That being said, I'd never had one dead out and about, always first thing in the morning.
My wife's '16 BMW 435i - bought in Nov '15 still has the original battery. I'm impressed. It is a ticking time bomb at this point though.

My '15 Superduty - bought in Jun of 15 - has been thru 2 sets of batteries already. PITA to lift that high one out of the engine bay in Costco's parking lot!

Point being - carry jumper cables everywhere and add a jump start battery if you're out in the middle of nowhere. That should get you past 90% of battery failures. If a cell shorts out completely though, you're pretty well screwed unless you have a manual and parked on a hill.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bring jumper cables and if you travel alone, bring some kind of communication device. I'll have a satellite communicator with me if out alone. Not so much for dead battery but twisted ankle or broken bone. Or the central computer going bananas, hope we won't have many of those problems though.

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just like road driving, off roading has the same very common pitfalls:

Flat tires
Dead Batteries
Empty fuel
Lost your keys...

So a booster pack is more valuable than jumper cables, Spare hidden key, adequate tools to jack up rig and install spare, additional fuel.

Snatch straps, shackles, sand boards, shovel, tools, satellite messaging... normal off road kit.

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I've got a 2-Door on the way, and space is at a premium, it would seem like a battery booster is likely the best solution. It's compact and can help even if no one else is around.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was offroading at night once, didn't see a hole and went into it hard, it was quite the hit. Ended up breaking something inside my battery.

I was lucky enough to get it jump started the next morning. It only lasted long enough to get to the closest town and it died for good. Bought a new battery and everything was fine.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered an Autowit SuperCap 2 from Amazon. It seems like the latest and greatest in battery booster tech... no need to pre-charge, lasts forever, works reliably, fairly compact, reasonably priced.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here in Phoenix we have to replace our batteries every 12-24mos. That being said, I'd never had one dead out and about, always first thing in the morning.
Wow. Still running the factory battery in my '12 Sierra. No Onstar, so no constant drain...
Sponsored