Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Finished photos first:
Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5777

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5778

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5773.JPG

Like many of you, I didn’t want to drill into my paint to add a required front license plate. I also didn’t particularly want to drill into my plastic bumper or skid plate either.
Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5782.JPG

I modified (small cuts and drill holes) the original supplied plate bracket and tucked it into my bumper using a tow hook to keep it tight. The size of the bracket tucks nicely into the bumper’s design.
Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5766

Plate bracket modification: (reverse instructions for opposite side mount)

Cut out the upper right corner for where it’ll sandwich between the top and bottom of the skid plate and the bumper. Upper left corner gets a hole drilled for a zip tie (this is a secondary point of contact, as well as a levelling zip tie). You’ll see in the final assembly where I drilled this hole.
Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5767.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5768.JPG

Middle of the bracket gets 2 holes drilled for a zip tie in and out (this zip tie attaches to the tow hook to stabilize and pull the bracket inwards. I trimmed down the back of the left screw receiver so the plate will mount more flush to the bumper, you’ll see when it’s in place. Once test fit, you can trim a little notch into the top of the bracket where the skid plate bolt will sit.

Install:

Remove 14mm skid plate bolt from just above the tow hook. The skid plate will slot into the notch cut into the bracket. I used soft Velcro on contact points between the bracket and the skid plate to minimize damage from rubbing. Snug up skid plate bolt with lip of bracket sitting tight to the bolt, under the washer, where
. Run a zip tie through the hole drilled into the upper bracket corner, and through the piece of metal tucked above the fog light. Tighten this to level the plate’s horizontal skew. Lastly thread the cable tie through the middle of bracket and around the tow hook to suck the bracket back into the bumper.
Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5784.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5772.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5785.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5787.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5788.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5770.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5791
Cost: 2 zip ties.

Time: 30mins? Less than my 2h.

Tools: 14mm socket with extension. Snips/dremel/knife for cut outs. Drill and bit.

I may take some time to replace the zip ties with something more permanent, but they’re more just adjustment than holding the plate. The sandwiched upper lip of the bracket holds well in the bumper bolt/washer although it’s only pressure fit.

If you’re willing to drill, I’m sure you can do an even nicer job by connecting here
Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5776.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY no-drill, no cost license plate relocation for standard bumper IMG_5783.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: