NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I decided to take it upon myself to adjust the alignment of my driver’s door when it’s closed (it sits maybe 1-2mm lower and 1-2mm too far inward in my opinion, and you have to close it with a little more force than other doors for it to latch).

After watching some YouTube’s, this looked fairly easy. However, when I loosened the bolts holding the striker in place, there was no horizontal/vertical movement, as if the threaded portion behind the plate was fixed in placement somehow. I was under the impression that the striker typically attaches to a plate behind the body that has some movement for this exact type of adjustment, with the bolts passing through holes in the body that are wide enough to facilitate this type of adjustment as well. This either doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyone have experience with adjusting other modern Fords in this fashion that could maybe shed some light on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!
Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are a few specific tools used to fit doors. One is a hammer to knock the striker up or down. There’s another bar that fits the latch to adjust. Also to twist the door a nylon block is inserted in the opening while the door is shut. I watched all of these techniques for years on the final line and in pre delivery but have never fit a door (only hoods and lift gates). I would highly recommend letting the dealer handle it. If you watch the process you’ll think the fitter is going to destroy the vehicle, all of the moves take a considerable amount of force.

Deleted member 3063

There are a few specific tools used to fit doors. One is a hammer to knock the striker up or down. There’s another bar that fits the latch to adjust. Also to twist the door a nylon block is inserted in the opening while the door is shut. I watched all of these techniques for years on the final line and in pre delivery but have never fit a door (only hoods and lift gates). I would highly recommend letting the dealer handle it. If you watch the process you’ll think the fitter is going to destroy the vehicle, all of the moves take a considerable amount of force.
First time I watched door fitters I cringed! They're a violent bunch lol.

OP, consider talking to a body shop about an adjustment.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided to take it upon myself to adjust the alignment of my driver’s door when it’s closed (it sits maybe 1-2mm lower and 1-2mm too far inward in my opinion, and you have to close it with a little more force than other doors for it to latch).

After watching some YouTube’s, this looked fairly easy. However, when I loosened the bolts holding the striker in place, there was no horizontal/vertical movement, as if the threaded portion behind the plate was fixed in placement somehow. I was under the impression that the striker typically attaches to a plate behind the body that has some movement for this exact type of adjustment, with the bolts passing through holes in the body that are wide enough to facilitate this type of adjustment as well. This either doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyone have experience with adjusting other modern Fords in this fashion that could maybe shed some light on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!
Take it to your dealership and have them fix it.

Gilligan

Outer Banks
First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Thanks!

Thanks!
It's so easy to adjust you will not believe. My passenger side door striker plate was in 1/16" too much. Here what I did. Step 1. Mark where the existing location of the striker plate with a sharpie. Step 2. Loosen the 2 hex bolts just enough to wiggle the striker plate. Step 3. With a dead blow hammer, tap the striker plate to it's new location. It is adjustable. Here is a picture.

IMG_20230106_142208012.jpg

Sponsored

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's so easy to adjust you will not believe. My passenger side door striker plate was in 1/16" too much. Here what I did. Step 1. Mark where the existing location of the striker plate with a sharpie. Step 2. Loosen the 2 hex bolts just enough to wiggle the striker plate. Step 3. With a dead blow hammer, tap the striker plate to it's new location. It is adjustable. Here is a picture.

IMG_20230106_142208012.jpg
It seems like it's the plate that the bolts thread into that's adjustable, correct? Did it take much to move it over or was it some fairly light tapping?

Gilligan

Outer Banks
First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It seems like it's the plate that the bolts thread into that's adjustable, correct? Did it take much to move it over or was it some fairly light tapping?
Lite tapping with a dead blow hammer. What I did first, but didn't seem to work, was loosen the 2 bolts, shutting the door easy, and from the inside, just dumping the door out a little. This didn't work for me. It was easy to just tap it out a little.

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lite tapping with a dead blow hammer. What I did first, but didn't seem to work, was loosen the 2 bolts, shutting the door easy, and from the inside, just dumping the door out a little. This didn't work for me. It was easy to just tap it out a little.
Tried this out today and it worked but it made the doors stick out a bit too much on the exterior so the panels no longer sat flush together. I ended up reversing what I did and I'm going to take it to a dealer to see what they might try.

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone happen to tap out the rear striker? Just trying to think of how/what to use to be able to actually make contact since it is obstructed…

JHenley01

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was having the same issue getting my striker adjusted, spent quite a bit of time working on it and couldn't get it to budge. I needed it to come outward so there really wasn't a way to get a hammer in there and hit it that way.

I finally noticed that there seemed to be something putting pressure on the back plate it to keep it in place. I loosened the bolts about halfway out and while pushing inward on the bolts to relieve the pressure I was able to pull on the striker and get it to move.
Sponsored

Last edited: