Jcam73

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond with the 2.3L Ecoboost and a automatic transmission. I have 4,000 miles on it and driving home I noticed this weird buzzing noise at low speeds when I would accelerate. About a half hour into my drive it stopped, but me being paranoid took a sound clip of it hoping someone could identify what the noise is. It's a little hard to hear it over the road noise.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So... this is just the flux capacitor. It has been discussed at great lengths, but the thread got deleted.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sounds to me like the driveshaft is out of phase. This plagued the Rangers when they launched. Call up your dealership and schedule an appointment.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds to me like the driveshaft is out of phase. This plagued the Rangers when they launched. Call up your dealership and schedule an appointment.

Can you expand on this for me?
I have odd flutters on low speed acceleration and intermittent LIGHT vibrations felt through the steering wheel at highway speeds. 3-4 seconds smooth, 3-4 seconds rough.

How can the dealer check for phase balance issues?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jcam73

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you expand on this for me?
I have odd flutters on low speed acceleration and intermittent LIGHT vibrations felt through the steering wheel at highway speeds. 3-4 seconds smooth, 3-4 seconds rough.

How can the dealer check for phase balance issues?
I got a better clip to hear. It sounds like a fan is rubbing against something. The radiator fans don't seem to have anything in them and when I spin them myself it doesn't make a noise. Nothing feels off about the engine or anything to do with the driving experience, just it sometimes makes this noise between 30 and 50 mph.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just so you check, check any of the pockets for something thin and loose. The times my F-350 had a noise and it was a plastic spoon in the pass door...

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just so you check, check any of the pockets for something thin and loose. The times my F-350 had a noise and it was a plastic spoon in the pass door...
Sounds like a Just Rolled In episode

OP
OP

Jcam73

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was my first thought. I looked in the glove box, took everything out, still was making the noise, then I put my phone in the glove box and shut it to minimize the softtop noise to record that. I will do a deeper clean on it though to just be sure it's not something dumb like that.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got a better clip to hear. It sounds like a fan is rubbing against something. The radiator fans don't seem to have anything in them and when I spin them myself it doesn't make a noise. Nothing feels off about the engine or anything to do with the driving experience, just it sometimes makes this noise between 30 and 50 mph.

Wow - that’s quite loud. Let us know if the dealership comes up with a resolve please

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jcam73

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well I scheduled an appointment for next week ( earliest I can get in). We finally had a day that wasn't snow filled so I crawled under and found this heat shield loose. Can anyone with a bronco confirm that there are supposed to be two bolts that go in those holes. I'm thinking either they fell out or never got put in. That rattling sounds a lot like what I'm hearing, fingers crossed that is the problem.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well I scheduled an appointment for next week ( earliest I can get in). We finally had a day that wasn't snow filled so I crawled under and found this heat shield loose. Can anyone with a bronco confirm that there are supposed to be two bolts that go in those holes. I'm thinking either they fell out or never got put in. That rattling sounds a lot like what I'm hearing, fingers crossed that is the problem.

I will crawl under and check mine soon - where is this heat shield located?

OP
OP

Jcam73

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will crawl under and check mine soon - where is this heat shield located?
It's the heat shield above the catalytic converter right behind the front passenger side wheel well.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rick (lol) you sound knowledgeable on this topic - and I myself am going insane with the vibrations I am experiencing.

What caused the out of phase condition on the rangers?
Is there a way to visually tell on the bronco if the shaft is out of phase?

My vibration is quite slight and does not present 100% of the time, so the dealers tell me they can't feel it, thus no attempt at fixing it

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Rick (lol) you sound knowledgeable on this topic - and I myself am going insane with the vibrations I am experiencing.

What caused the out of phase condition on the rangers?
Is there a way to visually tell on the bronco if the shaft is out of phase?

My vibration is quite slight and does not present 100% of the time, so the dealers tell me they can't feel it, thus no attempt at fixing it
This was a big deal on early 5th gen Rangers (I have a first-year-of-production 2019 Ranger), they eventually changed design for the secondary shaft from a U-bolt to CV linkage design, but the shafts had been very poorly balanced from the factory and many weren't phased properly at install. Assuming new parts would inherently be 100% perfect.

It's a long topic to learn about. This thread is possibly the best one going.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/driveshaft-phasing.7614/
Sponsored