Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question about the painting process: Would it have been easier/better to remove the quarter panels and paint them off the Bronco?
Could have but not needed when you take the doors off
My 2017 mustang was that color. I sold the mustang, but I kept a picture of it. I just cant stop myself from going over curbs so the Bronco suits me just better. That color is money on the Bronco!!!!

More pics please!!! Especially the front!!
thank you. 👍almost have it all back together I will be posting pics soon mainly for the haters to my post. You all the haters can kiss my ass!!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Antimatter outer banks

Antimatter outer banks

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Considerably more.
One may find some backyard garage guys (no hate, as I am one of those) who will paint your entire vehicle for 2-3K.
Caveat Emptor applies here, if nowhere else in the world.

A 2 door would be less than a 4 door just due to size (less area, 2 less jambs to deal with). Or it should be less.

There are a lot of variables of work content to consider such as under the hood areas, roll bar, etc. that will greatly impact pricing.
The grade of materials used factors in.
And of course the actual labor. A lot of shops average between $75 and $125/hr labor (the average is right at $100 for custom/resto level paint work). Most places will charge time + materials, billed bi-weekly, charges due at that time for work completed.

For instance if it takes 40 hours to do one from the first second of work to that last wipe with a cloth, that's $4K plus the materials, which can easily run between $1500-2K (or more) depending on paint manufacturer used, sandpaper, tape, plastic, additives and prep chemicals, consumable shop supplies, etc.

All that to say If I were to quote a 4 dr Bronco for a color change it would start at about $5K and go up from there depending on what color one wanted it to be, what brand of paint, roll bar or not, and so on.

Economics also plays a part. Paint itself and all additives are up about 80-100% from 3 years ago. It is more difficult to get some colors due to toner shortages. Some stuff you can only get a quart or two of, not even a full gallon.
That same base-level price may be more next year, 6 months from now, 3 years down the line.

I have a job right now I quoted as a range of final cost. It is a 2-3 year long level job. And the price I quoted is quite a bit more of a bargain than it was 2 years ago.

For context, just the paint (no other supplies, primer, or clear coat) enough to paint a 4 door in and out in AMB would cost about $1200.
Commented on your reply first thing it was not a quote on quote ( back yard) job I honestly was. In it materials what I stated on top of that 500.00 for the booth rental did all the prep and paint myself my labor!! I agree if the average joe want for an estimate ya you’re looking at minimum 4-5 k no doubt but I have been around body shops abd have done paint and body since I was a teen I’m now 57 so figure it out !!! Not bull shuttin you 👍 what materials cost me

OP
OP
Antimatter outer banks

Antimatter outer banks

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

At least you got a decent clear on there with the Axalta. It's a step above Nason 496. TCP global clears are no good, as are the "wet wet" ones you used to be able to get from TCP.
Either way, looks good and sharp from the pics I saw.

For what it's worth, check out Revolt auto paint. I've recently moved to their Glamour clear and it is amazing stuff. They have a super-fast 15-minute clear too but it is dangerous, as it dries literally in 15 minutes. Their Matte clear is top-shelf.
Good prices.
A step above ? Come on man it’s DuPont the very best clear ok axalta I have always been and always will be a DuPont fan. 7500 7600 and my personal favorite classic 7800 premium the very best clear cot ever. If you ever sprayed it you know if not well you missed the bus. I used 7900 on the Bronco first time I sprayed it love it…..

Mirage

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it would look better if the front grill was black, the wheels were black. Other than that it looks good.
Are you saying that about my old Ranger? It was a sport 4x4 and that's how they were painted back then. If it had a black grille, it would've looked awful, since that was a base XL option then. I hate base black textured parts...

Not a fan of black wheels, unless the truck is completely murdered out..., like my 2021 SEMA Ranger is...

I don't even have that blue truck anymore, LOL!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Commented on your reply first thing it was not a quote on quote ( back yard) job I honestly was. In it materials what I stated on top of that 500.00 for the booth rental did all the prep and paint myself my labor!! I agree if the average joe want for an estimate ya you’re looking at minimum 4-5 k no doubt but I have been around body shops abd have done paint and body since I was a teen I’m now 57 so figure it out !!! Not bull shuttin you 👍 what materials cost me
I'm 57 myself. Been around a Paint & Body shop since I was 2. My grandfather owned Bills Paint & Body. (we called him papaw)He would take me to get parts. The only way I would get to go is if I didn't wet my diaper! My mom had pictures of me and my brother in the shop on creepers having races etc. Both of my uncles, and cousins worked for papaw. Real body men, that pull dents and shape fenders, not just pull and replace or slap huge amounts of Bondo on it and call it a day, are true artists. My uncle Darrell was a master in the paint booth. He could match silver's like no other. Lot's of cool memories, I could go on all day! You did a fantastic job with your Bronco, I love Grabber Blue....And to hell with the haters! EDIT: Papaw only used Dupont and PPG paints.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

when I saw this color at the bronco off Roadeo I was mesmerized. I love the color blue, but this one stood out the most. Congrats on the paint job, it looks great!!!

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm 57 myself. Been around a Paint & Body shop since I was 2. My grandfather owned Bills Paint & Body. (we called him papaw)He would take me to get parts. The only way I would get to go is if I didn't wet my diaper! My mom had pictures of me and my brother in the shop on creepers having races etc. Both of my uncles, and cousins worked for papaw. Real body men, that pull dents and shape fenders, not just pull and replace or slap huge amounts of Bondo on it and call it a day, are true artists. My uncle Darrell was a master in the paint booth. He could match silver's like no other. Lot's of cool memories, I could go on all day! You did a fantastic job with your Bronco, I love Grabber Blue....And to hell with the haters! EDIT: Papaw only used Dupont and PPG paints.
My dad opened his dream shop in 94, I worked with him for 12 years after high school full time. We did Sherwin Williams, mixed our own paint as well, but my dad always liked DuPont and PPG. Great to know there are still shops that are still in it for the trade and not just the profit of quick “bondo” repairs. 🤙

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dad opened his dream shop in 94, I worked with him for 12 years after high school full time. We did Sherwin Williams, mixed our own paint as well, but my dad always liked DuPont and PPG. Great to know there are still shops that are still in it for the trade and not just the profit of quick “bondo” repairs. 🤙
My cousin Gary owns the shop now. Still going strong!

MichaelCar001

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Could have but not needed when you take the doors off

thank you. 👍almost have it all back together I will be posting pics soon mainly for the haters to my post. You all the haters can kiss my ass!!!!
Leave some pics for us, too, not only for haters! 🤣🤣

Sponsored
OP
OP
Antimatter outer banks

Antimatter outer banks

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks
My step dad always had a body shop and I grew up hanging out going to paint store like you did. Awesome memories huh 👍

OP
OP
Antimatter outer banks

Antimatter outer banks

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

image.jpg

IMG_0215.jpeg

OP
OP
Antimatter outer banks

Antimatter outer banks

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)