Sponsored

Ford Performance or Roush Tune for 2.7l?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pros and cons of each? Roush claims 40 hp with air intake and tune. Is the only way to get the Roush Tune by purchasing the level 1 pack? Both have a warranty and it appears Roush doesn't require a certified mechanic to install for the warranty?
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pros and cons of each? Roush claims 40 hp with air intake and tune. Is the only way to get the Roush Tune by purchasing the level 1 pack? Both have a warranty and it appears Roush doesn't require a certified mechanic to install for the warranty?
The Roush might have a more aggressive engine tune, but only the Ford tune improves both the engine and the transmission response. The warranty has no added value in my opinion, so either are self-install. You'll need to buy a separate ECU programmer for the Roush (or pay a shop to install) so it is significantly more expensive and complicated.

If you are mostly concerned with wide-open-throttle (0-60) or use mostly sport mode, the Roush is probably a good choice.

For general drivability (part-throttle response) in normal mode, changing the transmission to favor performance makes a big difference (quick smooth downshift provides immediate torque multiplication and engine RPM in power band). Currently only Ford tune offers this and unlike sport mode it doesn't hold high RPMs when torque is not needed.

Last edited:

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Keeping your 3/36 plus probably your extended warranty on your drivetrain with Fpp tune is priceless to me.

I am shocked how mucin I like the FPP tune, I was prepared for a letdown. It is shockingly noticeable. In a good way.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What does each cost?
FPP is around $695 and easy to install ($600 on sale). You will need a laptop or desktop computer to activate the tune on the programmer via USB before use. It is easy to switch back to stock tune when needed for warranty service or if 91+ octane not available (stock tune is saved on portable device).

Roush is around $950, but it doesn't include the ECU programmer. The cheapest recommended ECU programmer is around $400 and requires a laptop to run the roush programming software. However, if you are willing to install a chinese software driver on your laptop, you can probably get a $120 ECU programmer to work (added risk). Changing back to stock tune is more difficult.

I had a good experience buying from lethalperformance (they sell both). I bought the FPP 2.7 tune and like it a lot.

Sponsored

DBB53

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any noticeable change to MPGs after installing either?