Sponsored

Ford winch kit frame reinforcement brackets?

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Most people recommend these when it comes to a winch install. I think MOST aftermarket winch mounts don't use them...
Basically it's a doubling bracket that ties the frame together to the winch mount.
Wondering if the parts can be ordered separately from the kit/what the part # are and hardware needed.
I see some aftermarket offering such as....
https://lodoffroad.com/products/2021-bronco-black-ops-front-bumper-frame-tie-in-brackets
Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I haven't seen any discussion about the ability to order the Ford reinforcements that comes with the winch mount. I assumed I'll need to go aftermarket when I make that step.

Reactions: TLO

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Most people recommend these when it comes to a winch install. I think MOST aftermarket winch mounts don't use them...
Basically it's a doubling bracket that ties the frame together to the winch mount.
Wondering if the parts can be ordered separately from the kit/what the part # are and hardware needed.
I see some aftermarket offering such as....
https://lodoffroad.com/products/2021-bronco-black-ops-front-bumper-frame-tie-in-brackets
My baseline for a winch and attachment is whether you can free-rappel your vehicle with it, a la George Heyduke, in the Monkey Wrench Gang.

" Smith tells Doc, who doesn't quite understand, that Hayduke used a method "us rock climbers call a free rappel" to get down the cliff face. Smith says he does it all the time, though he's never done it with a jeep. He wonders whether Hayduke might be "oversimplifying" or "stretching the truth a little bit". Hayduke points to his jeep as proof. Smith says it might not even be Hayduke's jeep but a "reasonable fact-simile". Doc chimes in with a "technical question": whether a winch can be operated in reverse. Hayduke says it can. He then tells everyone to "shut up" and listen to how he did it. "
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That book turned me on to Utah's canyon country and to real exploring.

No, I've never done a free rappel with a vehicle. Just with me.

Cheers - Jon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are separate engineering parts, but the service part to replace them is just the entire winch kit.

Which is just "Ford parts speak" for... No, you cannot buy just the frame reinforcement brackets. If, for example, you need to replace frame reinforcement for your Everglades Bronco, they just ship you the entire winch kit.

Part no. M2DZ-19E536-A

OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
My baseline for a winch and attachment is whether you can free-rappel your vehicle with it, a la George Heyduke, in the Monkey Wrench Gang.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That book turned me on to Utah's canyon country and to real exploring.

No, I've never done a free rappel with a vehicle. Just with me.

Cheers - Jon
I know what 'rapping' is.... But free rapel? 🤷

Sponsored

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I know what 'rapping' is.... But free rapel? 🤷
Going off a cliff on rope is the rappel part. The free part is where you are in a free hang with the cliff wall undercut behind the cliff top. I do rappels, and sometimes the vertical profile of the cliff face makes it a free rappel. So long as you have the right tools, and the right rappeling device to control rope friction, it's all good. No more than 200' yet for me.

Reactions: TLO
OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Going off a cliff on rope is the rappel part. The free part is where you are in a free hang with the cliff wall undercut behind the cliff top. I do rappels, and sometimes the vertical profile of the cliff face makes it a free rappel. So long as you have the right tools, and the right rappeling device to control rope friction, it's all good. No more than 200' yet for me.
Always knot the end of your rope in a situation like that. Wouldn't be the first time some rapped off his rope trying to get to the next ledge 😢
Sponsored