Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'll be moving to AZ next year and I am wondering if anyone has their front windshield tinted or a thermal layer on their windshield? I have always thought people with tint on their windshields were morons, until I wnet to Taiwan. Almost all the cars in Taiwan have their front windshield tinted and it really didn't seem to affect visibility during the day or night. Thoughts and or recommendations?
Sponsored

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

love the look but I have always been afraid to do it, I have a hard enough time seeing at night as it is. Guess I am getting old

'68'72'95'21

Badlands
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've done it on a few cars in the past, and currently have it on one. Just got our Badlands yesterday (yay!...finally) and I'm considering doing it on that as well. Here are my comments/suggestions... Generally, I like it. It does seem to keep the cabin cooler on hot days, and I know it is protecting the dashboard from UV damage. The head's up display is still visible (in cars equipped) and there is no distortion with view, except for a slight rainbowing if you happen to be wearing heavily polarized sunglasses. I've noticed it with a pair of Maui Jims-P and RayBan-P, but not Revo or Gatorz...but no effect with Non-P glasses. And on overcast days, with the windshield film, I need sunglasses less often. Now for the suggestions... Get a good ceramic film done at a really good tint shop. This will cost a hundred or two more, but it is worth it! Short story, I had a standard light film done at a typical shop before, and it did have an obvious darkening result which was noticeable at night, especially headlight and road glare on my old eyes. Then, on another car, I went were I saw a lot of expensive cars being done regularly (even saw a Bentley and a Lamborghini there) and sometimes, yes, you do get what you pay for. The extra couple bucks for the ceramic clear (well, nearly clear, there is a very slight tint) film has been well worth it. If I decide to do it, that is the only way to go. All that said.... the Bronco has a fairly vertical windshield and I'm not really certain how much benefit the front film will provide compared to my other car with much more sloped glass. But, ultimately, I probably will just for teh additional dashboard protection ...and no, I'm not in the tint business, don't have stock in 3M, and wasn't paid for my response. haha... Best!

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@'68'72'95'21 So you are reccommending a thermal barrier (film) with a slight tint over just putting tint on the front? Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

love the look but I have always been afraid to do it, I have a hard enough time seeing at night as it is. Guess I am getting old
I'm not a young buck (47) and felt the same way until I was overseas. I was in multiple cars with front tint and it surprised me how little it affected vision both during the day and at night.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Then there's the legal aspect of this. Anyone done this and was hasseled by police?

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not a young buck (47) and felt the same way until I was overseas. I was in multiple cars with front tint and it surprised me how little it affected vision both during the day and at night.
ya I really don't notice an issue with the side windows tinted

Reactions: Dom

Edsasso

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did mine. I love it. I have done this on all my trucks. I used a lumar tint. It is clear, but it blocks a ton of radiant heat and a ton of the UV. Cant really tell from the outside but you dont really need sunglasses. I have also used the same product on sun roofs in my F150's which makes a HUGE difference. I will tell you this and it has happened to me, the tint does make it easier to crack the windshield, but for me, I dont really care as windshield replacements in FL are covered under the comprehensive portion of our insurance BUT you will get to pay for the tint again.... 100% do it.

Stxflyer

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks Sas Lux Tow Leather
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had the drivers and passengers windows tinted to match the factory (20%?) and have the windshield done with 50%. its plenty dark, and very comfortable during the day, with out screaming criminal.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks for all the good input fellas.

Sponsored

'68'72'95'21

Badlands
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@'68'72'95'21 So you are recommending a thermal barrier (film) with a slight tint over just putting tint on the front? Thank you for your input.
Yep!...and I do agree on your original thought that tinting the windshield is douchey... but the thermal film serves purpose. I've noticed cooler interior temps and less sunny day glare. IN fact, I just convinced myself I will also do it on the Bronco. ha! ...thanks.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's illegal in AZ to tint your windshield, other that a tint strip at the top. Dumb, but...

You can get away with a 90% transmission heat rejection film. Again, actually illegal, but nobody will actually give you a ticket for it.

Driver and passenger side cannot go darker than 35%. Rear windows can be anything, even painted over if you like.
Sponsored