First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond, 1923 Model T Racer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bought the new limb risers from GearShade, and figured I’d share my thoughts.

I haven’t had a chance yet to put them thru any test, but I wanted to share the quality etc and my first impressions.

To begin: the flat metal pieces that fit onto the trail sites are rough cut, have bad burrs, and not pretty. Cut myself on one of them. The cables and pieces seem of good quality, however you must check things before install as pins in mine were in the wrong spot. The bolts that replace the factory ones in the trail sights are…annoyingly…a different size. Which maybe I was supposed to have that size bit In my toolkit but maybe it was missing? I need to see if I’m missing pieces from my Bronco Toolkit.

When installing, one side was perfect. Passenger side however will not line up to accept the quick detach pin. The holes are not lining up so I’ll have to drill it out more than likely to get it where it could even work. Hopefully it’ll still work as it should, worried if I drill it out the detent ball won’t have nothing to hold it in place. Also, the rings on the quick detach pins hit the paint, no biggie should be able to swap them out but another oversight imo.

So all in all for $100+ I feel the quality should’ve been a lot better or at least QC’d. I sent an email to @GearShade and haven’t heard back, but I know they’re busy. I was curious if this is how they come, or if mine was a one off…and wanted to let them know. I know they normally have quality stuff I’ve never had a problem. I took some pics but I can’t upload from my phone right now for some reason so I’ll try again in the morning for those interested. I’ll pull them back off and take some detailed ones.
Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would have the’s already if they were black.

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Paint them lol I may end up painting the pieces that go on the trail sights since they rough.

GearShade

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend, '19 JLU Rubi, '07 JKU Rubi, '04 F350
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bought the new limb risers from GearShade, and figured I’d share my thoughts.

I haven’t had a chance yet to put them thru any test, but I wanted to share the quality etc and my first impressions.

To begin: the flat metal pieces that fit onto the trail sites are rough cut, have bad burrs, and not pretty. Cut myself on one of them. The cables and pieces seem of good quality, however you must check things before install as pins in mine were in the wrong spot. The bolts that replace the factory ones in the trail sights are…annoyingly…a different size. Which maybe I was supposed to have that size bit In my toolkit but maybe it was missing? I need to see if I’m missing pieces from my Bronco Toolkit.

When installing, one side was perfect. Passenger side however will not line up to accept the quick detach pin. The holes are not lining up so I’ll have to drill it out more than likely to get it where it could even work. Hopefully it’ll still work as it should, worried if I drill it out the detent ball won’t have nothing to hold it in place. Also, the rings on the quick detach pins hit the paint, no biggie should be able to swap them out but another oversight imo.

So all in all for $100+ I feel the quality should’ve been a lot better or at least QC’d. I sent an email to @GearShade and haven’t heard back, but I know they’re busy. I was curious if this is how they come, or if mine was a one off…and wanted to let them know. I know they normally have quality stuff I’ve never had a problem. I took some pics but I can’t upload from my phone right now for some reason so I’ll try again in the morning for those interested. I’ll pull them back off and take some detailed ones.
The inner plate is right off the laser. It is too small for the deburring machine. unlike the outer/moving plate which is just at the right size for the deburring machine. Since the inner plate is never seen, hidden by the moving plate, the overall finish was not high on the priority list. Once it is installed, you shouldn't have to deal with it.

The shoulder bolts are a standard metric Allen wrench size. It was never intended for you to use the OEM tool kit to install the should bolts.

The ring on the latch pin is the absolute smallest they could make it. Our original focus group, including an employee from a local Ford Dealership Service Dept, said it was a "non-issue".

If you are having an issue with inserting the pin, check the fit without the moving plate. If that is fine, you may have the sholder bolts too tight. The hole size for the latch pin is 5mm. We ream out each one on a drill press. One have slipped through without that operation.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Gearshade limb risers installed - notes & impressions 5D08E7D8-CFF6-4765-A33C-D2C9867780A0

I love my limb risers. Easy to install and well made. I had one minor problem which required a replacement quick-detach pin (i.e., spring-loaded ball falling out of the pin). I called GearShade as soon as I noticed it, and William answered the phone. I described the problem, and he apologized and sent me two replacement pins which arrived in the mail a couple of days later. Very happy with my purchase. 👍

Sponsored
OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The inner plate is right off the laser. It is too small for the deburring machine. unlike the outer/moving plate which is just at the right size for the deburring machine. Since the inner plate is never seen, hidden by the moving plate, the overall finish was not high on the priority list. Once it is installed, you shouldn't have to deal with it.

The shoulder bolts are a standard metric Allen wrench size. It was never intended for you to use the OEM tool kit to install the should bolts.

The ring on the latch pin is the absolute smallest they could make it. Our original focus group, including an employee from a local Ford Dealership Service Dept, said it was a "non-issue".

If you are having an issue with inserting the pin, check the fit without the moving plate. If that is fine, you may have the sholder bolts too tight. The hole size for the latch pin is 5mm. We ream out each one on a drill press. One have slipped through without that operation.
Thanks for the response! I can understand that. I’ll try to loosen the shoulder bolts and see if that helps, then if it goes thru tighten it down. Everything else was great and I feel it’s really gonna be nice thru the back woods of LA and AR. If I have an issue after checking shoulder bolts I’ll see if I can ream it out. It isn’t much, I tried to tap on it but it was no-go. But for sure will take a look tomorrow! I’m at work now and it’s pouring. Lol

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Gearshade limb risers installed - notes & impressions 5D08E7D8-CFF6-4765-A33C-D2C9867780A0

I love my limb risers. Easy to install and well made. I had one minor problem which required a replacement quick-detach pin (i.e., spring-loaded ball falling out of the pin). I called GearShade as soon as I noticed it, and William answered the phone. I described the problem, and he apologized and sent me two replacement pins which arrived in the mail a couple of days later. Very happy with my purchase. 👍
Just curious, do you leave them on or put them on just for trails? I figured I’d keep them in a bag in the back so as not to wear the cables and parts but I guess it doesn’t matter lol

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious, do you leave them on or put them on just for trails? I figured I’d keep them in a bag in the back so as not to wear the cables and parts but I guess it doesn’t matter lol
I just put them on when doing trail runs. When my Bronco is in the garage, I always connect the battery to a Battery Tender, so I keep my hood up just to remind me to unplug before I depart. Since I’m always opening and closing my hood, I take the limb risers off except when they are being used on trails.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any possibility of black?

GearShade

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend, '19 JLU Rubi, '07 JKU Rubi, '04 F350
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored
OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah just paint them, had
Any possibility of black?
Yeah just paint them, I’ve only had brackets on a week and the top ones rusted lol I’ll pull the brackets off when I get a chance and paint them!

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was thinking paint and maybe rubber tool coating the wire.

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed and wanted black, as well. So I shrink tubed them. They turned out good.
Ford Bronco Gearshade limb risers installed - notes & impressions 1ADDD635-2FEF-4C1C-8E98-25B12B456AAA

Last edited:

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed and wanted black, as well. So I rink tubed them. They turned out good.
Ford Bronco Gearshade limb risers installed - notes & impressions 1ADDD635-2FEF-4C1C-8E98-25B12B456AAA
That does look nice. Little powder cost or paint on the brackets and would be a win or me. TY!
Sponsored