Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bought the new limb risers from GearShade, and figured I’d share my thoughts.

I haven’t had a chance yet to put them thru any test, but I wanted to share the quality etc and my first impressions.

To begin: the flat metal pieces that fit onto the trail sites are rough cut, have bad burrs, and not pretty. Cut myself on one of them. The cables and pieces seem of good quality, however you must check things before install as pins in mine were in the wrong spot. The bolts that replace the factory ones in the trail sights are…annoyingly…a different size. Which maybe I was supposed to have that size bit In my toolkit but maybe it was missing? I need to see if I’m missing pieces from my Bronco Toolkit.

When installing, one side was perfect. Passenger side however will not line up to accept the quick detach pin. The holes are not lining up so I’ll have to drill it out more than likely to get it where it could even work. Hopefully it’ll still work as it should, worried if I drill it out the detent ball won’t have nothing to hold it in place. Also, the rings on the quick detach pins hit the paint, no biggie should be able to swap them out but another oversight imo.

So all in all for $100+ I feel the quality should’ve been a lot better or at least QC’d. I sent an email to @GearShade and haven’t heard back, but I know they’re busy. I was curious if this is how they come, or if mine was a one off…and wanted to let them know. I know they normally have quality stuff I’ve never had a problem. I took some pics but I can’t upload from my phone right now for some reason so I’ll try again in the morning for those interested. I’ll pull them back off and take some detailed ones.
I, too, had the same issue with the quick release pin. I later realized that the shoulder bolts being too tight was the main reason for this, and when the bolts are too tight, the quick release doesn't release at all, so I resolved this by putting on the outer piece and tightening only to where the outer piece was snug but not too tight to release. The pin fit perfectly afterwards. I also used orange thread locker to keep the shoulder bolts in place, so I hope they don't fall out.

I recently learned that the square hole on the quick release unit fits the OEM socket wrench perfectly, for when you need to reattach the limb riser to the front.

The team at @GearShade have been awesome in helping me with various parts of the install. I've also installed a roof rack so I cannot use the supplied roof mounts, and they've been very helpful with that as well. I don't think anyone can doubt that their customer service is definitely on point.
Ford Bronco Gearshade limb risers installed - notes & impressions KakaoTalk_20220620_065338813
Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just installed and wanted black, as well. So I rink tubed them. They turned out good.
Ford Bronco Gearshade limb risers installed - notes & impressions KakaoTalk_20220620_065338813
Would you happen to have a link for this rink tube?
TIA.

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would you happen to have a link for this rink tube?
TIA.
We got it from the local Ace Hardware. I was 1/4" x 4'. I used spray silicone to slip it on and then heated it up.
Worked great on the trails too!

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We got it from the local Ace Hardware. I was 1/4" x 4'. I used spray silicone to slip it on and then heated it up.
Worked great on the trails too!
Thx, I'll try looking it up!

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I, too, had the same issue with the quick release pin. I later realized that the shoulder bolts being too tight was the main reason for this, and when the bolts are too tight, the quick release doesn't release at all, so I resolved this by putting on the outer piece and tightening only to where the outer piece was snug but not too tight to release. The pin fit perfectly afterwards. I also used orange thread locker to keep the shoulder bolts in place, so I hope they don't fall out.

I recently learned that the square hole on the quick release unit fits the OEM socket wrench perfectly, for when you need to reattach the limb riser to the front.

The team at @GearShade have been awesome in helping me with various parts of the install. I've also installed a roof rack so I cannot use the supplied roof mounts, and they've been very helpful with that as well. I don't think anyone can doubt that their customer service is definitely on point.
I had to drill out my attachment hole as well. I contacted them and let them know they need to check clearances. The hole was the same size as the pin. No Bueno.
They replied and said they would check and thank you.
I also asked/suggested they have a pin kit with 4 of the pin keepers (don't know what they are called) I installed on my driveway which is gravel. I dropped one and it took forever to find! Those lil buggers jump far!

Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had to drill out my attachment hole as well. I contacted them and let them know they need to check clearances. The hole was the same size as the pin. No Bueno.
They replied and said they would check and thank you.
I also asked/suggested they have a pin kit with 4 of the pin keepers (don't know what they are called) I installed on my driveway which is gravel. I dropped one and it took forever to find! Those lil buggers jump far!
I've dropped washers and nuts all over my car and most have vanished. I emailed them regarding another issue and they sent me a whole set of shoulder bolts and pins, so I guess I'm good for back up sets.

On another note, and I should've caught this way earlier, but I just found that the tubing that you used is shrink tubing. You had me searching for a while in ice rink stores. 😂

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've dropped washers and nuts all over my car and most have vanished. I emailed them regarding another issue and they sent me a whole set of shoulder bolts and pins, so I guess I'm good for back up sets.

On another note, and I should've caught this way earlier, but I just found that the tubing that you used is shrink tubing. You had me searching for a while in ice rink stores. 😂
BBBAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! Sorry about that! Typing faster than the brain works, it appears!

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any possibility of black?
I wanted black, as well. Picked up 1/4" x 4' shrink tubing from our local ace hardware, sprayed silicone in the tube, slide them on over the cable, heated it up and WALA!!!
Sponsored