Sponsored

Growing list of issues with our new 2023 Outer Banks 2.7L 4 door. Leaks, rips and rattles.

Area51NY

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Evening all. Just thought I would document all the issues that my wife and I have been having with her new Bronco that was picked up on 2/27/23. Hoping to get some feedback from other people who might have had similar issues or maybe some one would eventually benefit from the info in this thread. Car is at 501 miles at the time of writing this.

Picked up on on 2/27/23 from Hempstead Ford NY

Issue noticed at time of pick up 2/27/23
Issue 1. Driver side mirror would not move inward.(Issue Resolved 3/15/23)

Issues noticed the next day 2/28/23
Issue 2. Rip in the blue leather/vinyl on the back seat cushion.(Issue Resolved 3/15/23)
Issue 3. Leak in the MIC hard top, between the middle and rear panels, puddle of water in the cargo area.

Issues noticed after first service 3/9/23
Issue 4. FordPass app not connecting all of the sudden(Issue Resolved 3/19/23)
Issue 5. Harsh ratting sound on cold starts

The first two were very obvious issues. As for the leak, I was under the impression that these issues were mostly resolved after the 21-22 model year. I re-seated all the the front and middle panels, issue persisted.

Dropped of at the dealer on 3/9/23

Picked up on 3/15/23.

- Mirror motor replaced(Issue Resolved)
- Seat cushion rip repaired(repair could have been better but its passable)(Issue Resolved)
- Roof "realigned and confirmed roof no longer leaking"

We woke up the next morning after an over night rain, and found an even bigger puddle in the same spot in the cargo area. Contacted the dealer. Service advisor asked if the car is parked under something. It is not, it is parked in a clear drive way, but on a 6 degree incline.(confirmed via in-car "off road" menu and a protractor :) ) Dealer said new seals will be ordered and the car will have to come in as soon as parts are in.

Issue 4. The FordPass app stopped working while the car was with the dealer, worked fine up until that point. When we got home, remote start, lock/unlock did not work and the location was stuck as the dealer address.

I removed vehicle from FordPass app, did a factory reset of the Bronco head unit, did a FordPass reset on the headunit, removed fuse 32 and put it back in, played around with different WiFi networks and drove to other locations in case this was an issue with the AT&T connection. Nothing worked. Ford Pass activation fails and when navigating to Connectivity Features in the head unit menu, we get a pop up saying "Connectivity Settings are currently not available. Please wait and try again later, If the problem persists, please see your dealer"

Disconnected (-) end the 12V battery for 15 min and this fixed the issue. Downside is everything was obviously reset, settings, phones added etc From what it sounds like this issue roots from the modem freezing up if a car sits untouched for a few days(like it was at the service center) Ford is working on a OTA update for this but in the mean time it seems like a battery disconnect is the only solution. (Issue Resolved)

Issue 5.
Very hash rattle on every cold start, started on 3/19/23. Some quick research on this forum indicates it might be related to to the cam phasers and this is a "drop the engine" type job. Very concerning on an engine that has 500 miles.

The car is going back in for the seals and soon as the service department gets the parts, so I will bring up the rattle. That being said, we are losing faith in our dealers ability to get these issues resolved properly, in the mean time the new car excitement is definitely overshadowed by all this. I will keep updating this thread as the car keeps getting serviced. It would be awesome to know if any one else experienced similar issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kseannau

Base
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you try to do sound of what it sounds like on startup because my 2.3 bronco is a little noisy, but it's just for when it's warming up. I assume you know the engine gets warm and the pistons expand that tiny little bit and then it's just normal I wouldn't say it sounds like a rattle though.

Another thing you could check I had an EcoBoost where it was actually the wastegate linkage on the turbo. It had stretched or rather it was like one of the bushings from the constant push and pull of the linkage. The whole got bigger and eventually it was enough for the wastegate to be open when it shouldn't be, but this was on 100,000 mile car but you could check if it's on the turbo. Wastegate linkage they usually happens when you let off the gas though I don't think I remember it on startup.

Actually got mine 2 days before you so I'd be interesting to know even though it's a different engine.

OP
OP
Area51NY

Area51NY

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Take a listen. On cold starts only. Takes 2-3 hours of the car sitting for it to start doing it again.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like Cam Phasers.

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Take a listen. On cold starts only. Takes 2-3 hours of the car sitting for it to start doing it again.

This is definitely not normal.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice, old school diesel ... you'll probably get 24 mpg!!!

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry for the BS you are going through. Mostly a bunch of annoying problems you hope to avoid by purchasing a new vehicle. The engine start noise is worrisome. You have a warranty of course but it makes you wonder what's next.

Good news is that it happens all the time so should be easy to know when they fix it.
Assume a noise that obvious should not take long to diagnose and sounds like cam phasers are the known culprit.
Will be interested to hear when you confirm the fix.
Wishing you good luck & that this is your last issue and they get you squared away quickly!

OP
OP
Area51NY

Area51NY

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The drama continues. After 6 weeks without the bronco, the dealer replaced the cam phasers and roof seals. We picked up the car on May 11th and immediately had to go on vacation. Not before we noticed that the car was making a whistle on low RPMs. Called the service advisor at that time and he said its the turbo. :D It was a new sound for sure and not the turbo. In any case we had to fly out on vacation.

Fast forward to today. We're back from vacation. Start the car and BAM...check engine light and the whistle but much louder. Read the code and its P04DB Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnected. Spent some time under the hood and everything looks like its properly connected. Namely the main vent hose where people usually install a catch can. If anyone knows what else I could check before I call them tomorrow, please let me know.

Also the roof still leaks :ROFLMAO: Wife and I checked the new seals and they re not adhered at all to the car. Still a puddle in the trunk.

IMG_7129 Large.jpeg

IMG_7130 Large.jpeg

IMG_7133 Large.jpeg

IMG_1744 Large.jpeg

IMG_1745 Large.jpeg

JuztQu3zt

Outer Banks
First Name
jhanny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 camaro 2ss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
im at 450 miles, recieved my obx 2 weeks ago, added dual catch can from mishimoto 4 days ago and today i got the check engine like light, saying crankshaft ventilation. from reading other post dont think its the catch cans , seems more like a across the board problem

OP
OP
Area51NY

Area51NY

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Car has been at the dealer for a month since then. They’ve replaced every hose and sensor and its still throwing a light. Wife and I are very close to just Lemoning this car. We had it for 5 weeks and got the car 20 weeks ago. So its spent almost 3 months at the dealer so far.

Last com from dealer -

Good morning, the technician drove your Bronco last night & the check engine light came back on. They contacted the technical hotline and are waiting for a reply. Sorry for the inconvenience, I will keep you updated.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Car has been at the dealer for a month since then. They’ve replaced every hose and sensor and its still throwing a light. Wife and I are very close to just Lemoning this car. We had it for 5 weeks and got the car 20 weeks ago. So its spent almost 3 months at the dealer so far.

Last com from dealer -

Good morning, the technician drove your Bronco last night & the check engine light came back on. They contacted the technical hotline and are waiting for a reply. Sorry for the inconvenience, I will keep you updated.
Hey, Alex! I can take a closer look into your Bronco engine concerns if you'd like. Can you please send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location?
Sponsored