Sponsored

Guys, do you know what the difference is between these?

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
FYI...
Garmin® and Ford collaborate on next-generation of SYNC for Mustang Mach-E
January, 7 2020

Strategic relationship introduces Garmin’s sophisticated cloud-based navigation and connected services to Ford drivers
OLATHE, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Garmin International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced a new strategic relationship with Ford Motor Company that integrates Garmin’s world-renowned navigation technology into the recently announced Ford next-generation SYNC communications and entertainment system.
Later this year, next-generation SYNC users will be able to enjoy access to Garmin’s industry-leading navigation features including cloud-based mapping and routing, electric vehicle (EV) routing, range management details, and the latest connected services to facilitate an optimal driving experience.
“We are delighted to embark on our first collaboration with Ford Motor Company and look forward to expanding our offerings across multiple vehicle platforms in the future,” said Matt Munn, Garmin automotive OEM managing director. “The introduction of Garmin’s innovative navigation features to the SYNC platform in the Mach-E will help ensure that Ford’s all electric customer base stays connected at all times.”
The joint effort between Garmin and Ford helps next-generation SYNC distinguish itself from traditional embedded navigation systems, thanks to connected maps and EV-specific features. The platform also allows drivers to travel with confidence by retaining on-board maps and routing that ensure navigation is available through dead zones.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With connected Nav the system is utilizing the connected device to provide the gps signal. With the built in Nav you have a gps built into the system. You also get the 12” display and 3 year subscription services.
With the connected Built in NAV it still uses the connection from your phone, but only for Live Traffic and weather. All map updates are done via micro SD card with files downloaded from your computer and stored on the built in nav's flash memory.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With connected Nav the system is utilizing the connected device to provide the gps signal. With the built in Nav you have a gps built into the system. You also get the 12” display and 3 year subscription services.
Everything is correct except the size. B/P shows 12" (error), but the text description indicates both are 8" screen.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With the connected Built in NAV it still uses the connection from your phone, but only for Live Traffic and weather. All map updates are done via micro SD card with files downloaded from your computer and stored on the built in nav's flash memory.
Didn't they stop using SD cards when they did away with MFT? Since Sync 3, downloads are either over the air or by flash drive from your computer.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No need to apologize. The one poster mentioned above that the Built-In includes the subscription for 3 years and has the ability to store the maps when not connected.
I'd rather just have it mirror my phones screen. Waze is better than anything these car companies can provide

Sponsored

RonM0710

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge; Suz. XL7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't they stop using SD cards when they did away with MFT? Since Sync 3, downloads are either over the air or by flash drive from your computer.
A SD card is flash storage, no wifi or Cell up date as map files can be 2-3GB so you need to download and transfer them. Most ALL NAV systems update maps via SD or DVD. They could update via your home wi-fi if set up to do so.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd rather just have it mirror my phones screen. Waze is better than anything these car companies can provide
Certainly that would suit most needs. But the Built-In accounts for when no cell signal is available.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as you have cell coverage, that is the entire point, many off roaders go places where there is no coverage, I sure do.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Certainly that would suit most needs. But the Built-In accounts for when no cell signal is available.
With Google maps you can download maps of areas so when you're not within cellular coverage, it still works. Worked wonders for me in Yellowstone national park this past summer

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I take it all back. Android auto is compatible with Ford sync
I'm able to use waze on the big 12 inch screen as if its on my phone. VERY happy about that. I know I won't use Fords mapping solution (other than trails, which I doubt Google has). Under normal circumstances,, there's no way it would be as intuitive or updated as frequently as waze (owned by google).

This video goes over it -

Here's a screenshot from the video showing the feature discussed
Ford Bronco Guys, do you know what the difference is between these? Screenshot_20201108-193539_YouTube

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A SD card is flash storage, no wifi or Cell up date as map files can be 2-3GB so you need to download and transfer them. Most ALL NAV systems update maps via SD or DVD. They could update via your home wi-fi if set up to do so.
My 14 F-150 Tremor was the last vehicle I owned with a physical SD card plugged into it. I've since owned a 16 Expedition, 17 Explorer, 18 Raptor and 19 Edge ST. Sometimes, you can receive the updates by air. Often it's easier to just download to my computer and plug the flash drive into the USB port in the car it downloads fairly fast. On the new Sync 4, all updates are supposed to happen via air. Any vehicle today still using an SD card is stuck in some past time zone and few still have a DVD.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I take it all back. Android auto is compatible with Ford sync
I'm able to use waze on the big 12 inch screen as if its on my phone. VERY happy about that. I know I won't use Fords mapping solution (other than trails, which I doubt Google has). Under normal circumstances,, there's no way it would be as intuitive or updated as frequently as waze (owned by google).

This video goes over it -

Here's a screenshot from the video showing the feature discussed
Ford Bronco Guys, do you know what the difference is between these? Screenshot_20201108-193539_YouTube
That's Sync3 but there's no reason to believe Sync4 won't have similar capabilities

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 14 F-150 Tremor was the last vehicle I owned with a physical SD card plugged into it. I've since owned a 15 Expedition, 17 Explorer, 18 Raptor and 19 Edge ST. Sometimes, you can receive the updates by air. Often it's easier to just download to my computer and plug the flash drive into the USB port in the car it downloads fairly fast. On the new Sync 4, all updates are supposed to happen via air. Any vehicle today still using an SD card is stuck in some past time zone and few still have a DVD.
DVD? Are people actually watching movies on their infotainment system?
Sponsored