Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey there,

For those of you familiar with how TSB's work, or maybe work (or have worked) at a dealership, I've got a hypothetical question:

We know there's a TSB notice for leaking MIC tops, where they'll essentially fill in some gaps with foam or something on the Bronco (not actually on the top itself) to help prevent water from leaking into the vehicle. My question is: Would a dealership complete a TSB if you don't have a factory MIC top?

I've pre-ordered an ADV hardtop, and as much as I'm hoping the leaking is much less of an issue or non-existent, I'm curious what my options might be. In my option it shouldn't matter if I have a factory MIC or an aftermarket hard top - The issue resides as part of the frame of the vehicle itself.

But I was just curious if anyone can shed some light on this? Thanks very much.
Sponsored

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say no as the ADV is aftermarket. Any concerns with the ADV top would have to be directed to ADV.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, warranty and TSBs would only apply to OEM parts. I get where your logic is that the TSB doesn’t touch anything on the hardtop itself and only affects the frame, but if the ADV one leaks you’d have to take it up with them.
I would think that for the price ADV is asking that their R&D would be decent enough to catch any leaks before production begins.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, warranty and TSBs would only apply to OEM parts. I get where your logic is that the TSB doesn’t touch anything on the hardtop itself and only affects the frame, but if the ADV one leaks you’d have to take it up with them.
I would think that for the price ADV is asking that their R&D would be decent enough to catch any leaks before production begins.
Yeah, I would hope you're right. My understanding is the leaks are caused on where the water flows on the vehicle itself; not the MIC top. However, I also assume the ADV top will have better water channeling so hopefully it mitigates this by their design. I guess time will tell.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The TSB only fixes water infiltration when top is in place. Hypothetically it would make zero difference if weatherstripping were affixed to top or frame and it surprises me that it would be applied to frame as it would be there and exposed to elements when top is off....Unless it just won't stick to roof material

And no vehicle manufacturer is going to cover anything with an aftermarket part. ADV had plenty of opportunity to do due diligence on sealing all surfaces. If it leaks it is their problem not Ford's

Sponsored
OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hypothetically it would make zero difference if weatherstripping were affixed to top or frame
That‘s a good point I hadn’t considered. I was so caught up on the fix going on the frame itself.

Thanks!

Stick in the Mud

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s another scenario - am looking at possibly buying a factory MIC2 top for my wife’s soft top. Would Ford warranty that top from defects even though it didn’t come with that specific Bronco?
Sponsored