Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone.

I've been exploring the American west my whole life, with the Eastern Sierra region of California and Nevada a favorite with its mountains and deserts. Been four-wheeling since before I had a 4WD - my first car developed a dented oil pan! My current four-wheeler is a 1996 Toyota T100 pickup that's served me well but which is getting old.

I'm not a hard-core wheeler because I've been driving vehicles with open differentials (and connected anti-sway bars!) all these years, but I've definitely benefited from the good ground clearance of my T100 many times. Mostly I'm interested in exploring new country, but a little challenge on the trail is fun to have now and then. My hobbies include photography, geography, and botany. If my health improves I'd like to start hiking again.

I've had my eyes on the Bronco for a couple of months now and my wife is enthusiastically on board. She doesn't like rough trails but she's going to enjoy our snow trips in the Bronco.

It's pretty clear, though, that I'll have to wait to get the manual transmission I want to order, and 7-speed Broncos on the lot are still rare and marked up for now. Other life stuff (including a move) is also delaying my purchase into some time in 2024 but I'm patient. I'm planning on a non-Sasquatch Badlands 4-door hardtop, and I hope the 7-speed returns. Maybe we'll even be lucky enough for the advanced 4WD to be available again without Sasquatch though I'm not counting on that.

Meanwhile, I'm here to learn from the knowledge and experiences of Bronco owners. I've been lurking for a few weeks and I've already learned a lot.

Bill
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great introduction! Welcome, there is a lot of good reading good folks around here willing to help. It should help guide you in what you should look for in the vehicle you want to purchase depending on how you expect to use it.
GLWYS

Enjoy 🤠

OP
OP
EasternSierra

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, Felix.

I considered the Black Diamond but you can't get the manual transmission with the mid package, and that package has safety features I'll want especially as my age gets more advanced. Badlands has somewhat more than I need the vast majority of the time (front locker, disconnect) , but I expect I'll appreciate the increased capabilities from time to time.

My main vehicle is a new Ford Transit Connect minivan with an automatic. However, driving it in the hills reminds me of why I like manuals so much outside of cities. Then I remember my summer long ago of driving a 2WD Suburban with an automatic on Forest Service roads, and how I decided right then and there I like a manual better on dirt, on steep hills, and in rough spots. Besides, I want to keep having fun in my last years!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi everyone.

I've been exploring the American west my whole life, with the Eastern Sierra region of California and Nevada a favorite with its mountains and deserts. Been four-wheeling since before I had a 4WD - my first car developed a dented oil pan! My current four-wheeler is a 1996 Toyota T100 pickup that's served me well but which is getting old.

I'm not a hard-core wheeler because I've been driving vehicles with open differentials (and connected anti-sway bars!) all these years, but I've definitely benefited from the good ground clearance of my T100 many times. Mostly I'm interested in exploring new country, but a little challenge on the trail is fun to have now and then. My hobbies include photography, geography, and botany. If my health improves I'd like to start hiking again.

I've had my eyes on the Bronco for a couple of months now and my wife is enthusiastically on board. She doesn't like rough trails but she's going to enjoy our snow trips in the Bronco.

It's pretty clear, though, that I'll have to wait to get the manual transmission I want to order, and 7-speed Broncos on the lot are still rare and marked up for now. Other life stuff (including a move) is also delaying my purchase into some time in 2024 but I'm patient. I'm planning on a non-Sasquatch Badlands 4-door hardtop, and I hope the 7-speed returns. Maybe we'll even be lucky enough for the advanced 4WD to be available again without Sasquatch though I'm not counting on that.

Meanwhile, I'm here to learn from the knowledge and experiences of Bronco owners. I've been lurking for a few weeks and I've already learned a lot.

Bill
Welcome to the forum Bill! We're glad you have found this space useful! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself with us. :)

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Welcome Bill! I have a manual transmission two-door Bronco and it's a kick to drive, even when commuting. The manuals will be back.

OP
OP
EasternSierra

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, Ford representative and bnikmar.

The two-door sure is tempting and looks like a lot of fun. My heart says get the two-door, but my brain says that IRL I'll get frustrated with the access and storage space on long trips, especially since I'll be sleeping in the vehicle.
Sponsored