Sponsored

Help, damaged the hardtop. How to repair these scratches / gouges?

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Bronco top is plastic covered cardboard. Anything that introduces moisture is a death sentence for it. Hopefully, the scratches are just superficial and the impact won’t create future cracking.
This. After watching a few videos that show the inside construction of the hardtop I actually sold mine for $6,000, bought a Trektop, and paid off the truck. IMO, it's only a matter of time before water gets inside the laminate somewhere and ruins the cardboard. I deff don't think there is a good way to fix the scratches outside of a full wrap or paint job which wouldn't be worth it. I bet you could still sell the top for like $5k though.

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m so mad at myself, anyone have experience or suggestions on what can be done to repair these scratch / gouges? Thanks

IMG_6736.jpeg
I've repaired my broken panel, but decided to not paint, but let the carbon powder be close enough. If you paint one panel, it'll never match the others. Aside from rubbing some matching paint or colorant into the scratches (with a white rag), I'd leave it alone. If the scratches are deep and endanger water intrusion, I'd use UV stable clearcoat on that section to protect. Long term, they'll get more scratched, so you won't notice . . . Or install a Sunrider or Skyrider!
Search: A MIC Top Repair after Panel Blew Off

Last edited:
OP
OP
lynchy522

lynchy522

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Door OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I got a situation thatll make ya feel better.. Had mine for a solid 2mo and just over 4k miles before I ever took my doors off. First time putting back on I dropped the driver door in the driveway and rolled the rear bottom corner. Had to hammer it back out flat just to shut the door.
I remember that! Still stings to think about it!

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I vote leave it. You'll probably make it look worse messing with it and you'll get more scratches eventually anyway :).
Sponsored